PDA

View Full Version : elbo hollowing system

allen thunem
01-01-2012, 3:11 PM
I am looking for user opinions on the ELBO HOLLOWING SYSTEM. pro's cons?? Is it adequate for what you intended it for?
Has it proven to be a good purchase< would you buyit again etc etc
thanks

charlie knighton
01-01-2012, 3:20 PM
yes, it was a very good buy
at the time i had a delta lathe and it worked on it, as it works well with my jet now, all the other system at that time said you had to have a much larger lathe (powermatic or larger) to hollow with the elbo does very well to about 6 inches deep, ifie deeper than that, but most of my hollow forms are in that range, at the time it only offered square boring bars but now offers the round bars which i recommend, there are a lot of systems out there now, i would recommend that you go to national symposium and spend some time checking different systems out, you would miss some rotations but its the only place that you can get hands on of different systems

Peter Blair
01-01-2012, 3:20 PM
I bought my Elbow about 6 years ago and have used it only in the past year and a half. Even with the 3/4" bar it I find it somewhat limited in the depth that I can comfortably go. It seems to work well for me up to about 8". It works way better for than my hand held tools, is easy to set up and pretty smooth when cutting. I have an older style laser that works but is quite finicky. Would I buy one again? I guess I would if my funds were limited but I am about to either sell mine, or modify it. I am seriously looking at a Kobra but one could purchase a couple of Elbo's for the same price.