PDA

View Full Version : Nova Adapters

Greg Just
01-01-2012, 2:55 PM
I recently bought a new adapter (1.25x8) for my SN2 replacing the 1x8. I was tired of using the re-sizing adapter. My problem is that I can't get the old adapter out of the chuck. There are no grub screws. Any thoughts? I have sprayed penetrating oil, but that didn't help. Heat?

Scott Hackler
01-01-2012, 2:59 PM
I would clamp down a block of wood in the chuck, take it off the lathe, clamp the wood in a vise, and heat the adapter up with a propane torch. That should make it pretty easy to remove with a large wrench.

Greg Just
01-01-2012, 3:18 PM
Scott - I'll try that next. Threads are not left handed are they? I don't thing they are.

Allan Ferguson
01-01-2012, 3:38 PM
Regular right hand threads. There should be a set screw in the chuck holding the adapter from coming loose when removing the chuck from the lathe. Double check for it if you have not removed it yourself..

Mike Peace
01-01-2012, 3:49 PM
Allan may be right but a picture of the insert in the SN2 manual shows left hand thread if I am not mistaken. The manual does not state which way to turn the insert since I guess it is obvious to the casual observer when installing. Not so obvious if removing.

Paul Singer
01-01-2012, 3:51 PM
There are two places for set screws. One is to lock the chuck to the lathe spindle so it won't unscrew itself when using the lathe in reverse and another one is to lock the adapter to the chuck which is accessed through a small hole in the shell of the chuck. Just wanted to present this incase you did not see the second set screw.

Allan Ferguson
01-01-2012, 4:09 PM
Paul is correct. Insert is right hand thread. I put in two of them in the last month. Removed one.

Greg Just
01-01-2012, 4:36 PM
set screws are removed and I tried heating per Scott's suggestion ands still no luck. In the past 5 plus years of usage, I think it is locked in place. I going to see it i can get a bigger wrench and put more leverage on it.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2012, 4:40 PM
Greg....can you clearly see in the hole that the set screws are removed? Just in case they weren't doubled up? In some cases, they often put in one set screw...then install a 2nd one on top of the first one to prevent the 1st one from backing out.

Good luck!

Greg Just
01-01-2012, 4:54 PM
Took another look for set screws and they are not there. I can see the threads on the insert on both sides.

Dale Miner
01-01-2012, 5:04 PM
Greg,

If at all possible, use a box end wrench or a socket to remove the adapter. An open end wrench or adjustable wrench can collapse the adapter making it more difficult to remove, as well as destroying the adapter. This is especially true when it takes a great deal of force to remove the adapter.

Harry Robinette
01-01-2012, 5:08 PM
I always through that heat made the metal bigger and cold made it smaller.You should heat the thread ring outside then drop an ice cube into the adapter wait for maybe 30 second and try to loosen it.I think this will help.

Brian Libby
01-01-2012, 5:17 PM
Greg, have you tried a sharp blow with a mallet on the wrench while the the chuck is secured?

Richard Jones
01-01-2012, 5:23 PM
What Mr. Libby said, plus, I have found that tightening will sometimes break the bond, allowing you to remove it.

Rich

Greg Just
01-02-2012, 6:26 PM
I'm happy to report that with a bigger wrench and the use of a dead blow hammer I was able to break the adapter loose. Thanks for all the suggestions.