PDA

View Full Version : Shell Lamp Auger

Lance kanaby
01-01-2012, 2:33 PM
Does anyone know of any Youtube videos on using a shell lamp auger? I just purchased a shell lamp auger, but don't know how to use it.

Steve Vaughan
01-01-2012, 3:42 PM
Lance, are you just talking about a long drill bit to drill through a lamp? I drilled through my recent lamps (11" high). I just had them chucked in my large jaws on the NOVA chuck with no tailstock support, and started drilling with the lathe on about 300 or 400 rpms. I made a handle that I glued the 24" drill bit into. Is that what you're asking about doing?

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-01-2012, 3:44 PM
Lance,
I have a 3/8" lamp auger that I bought 25 years ago and probably used twice. That's how many lamps I turned. A shell auger is made to drill a straight hole in end grain, something a twist bit won't do very well. I clearly remember mine having a square tang like the ones meant for a hand brace, but I cut it off. Because the auger is probably 24" or better, the only way to use it would be through the hollow shaft of the head stock. Can you mount your object to be drilled in a 4 jaw chuck, supported with the tail stock or a steady rest? The auger should fit through the space between the jaws. Make a handle for the auger and a guide to be sure you are straight and go for it. If you predrill a shallow hole to mark the exact center of your spindle, that might help you get set up straight. The shell auger won't try to grab and self feed like a twist drill so the forward motion is all up to you. It might be a good idea to stick it in your drill and test it on scrap wood so you know what to expect as far as how it drills. Mark the length of the spindle on the auger so you move the tail stock away when you only have a 1/2" or so to go. Not knowing your exact application, this is the best I can think of. Remember, it is only for drilling end grain.
faust