PDA

View Full Version : Bought iPads and iPods for Grandkids Xmas presents. Anyone have layout for engraving

donald bugansky
01-01-2012, 2:31 PM
Hi Folks,

Just getting back into my laser (after sitting for over a year) and we purchased iPads for older grandchildren and small iPods for younger grandkids as gifts this year from Santa. I would like to engrave some personalized info or cool artwork on them.

Does anyone have any layouts in Corel Draw that you can share to save the tedious detail work so I stay away from the wheel/screen on the iPod and the apple logo on the back of the iPad.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 75W

Chuck Stone
01-01-2012, 5:05 PM
I dont' have a layout, but I think the easiest way to avoid those parts
would be to throw the iPad on a flatbed scanner and bring that into
your program. You can trace the outline and lightly engrave a piece of
card stock. That's your template and 'placement jig' ..

Put your iPad on the card stock, do your lettering over the jpeg or tiff (whatever
you use) then delete the jpeg before you send it out to the laser

Mike Null
01-02-2012, 8:11 AM
Bugs

I would use the blue tape or transfer tape to run tests. I just got an Ipad for my wife but she doesn't want any engraving.

Tim Bateson
01-02-2012, 6:34 PM
I don't understand the issue????? The back is a rectangle - just measure the height & width, and/or use your red dot to center. You sound like you want to do the front too? That would be interesting.

Chuck Stone
01-02-2012, 6:49 PM
You sound like you want to do the front too? That would be interesting.

We have lasers .. we PLAY!!
Some things look GOOD with permanent graphics on the front!

Unfortunately, an Etch-A-Sketch isn't one of them.
DAMHIKT

Steve knight
01-02-2012, 7:06 PM
I would leave names off of them. it makes selling them when they upgrade far harder.

donald bugansky
01-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Folks,

Thanks so much for the suggestions. My thought was more than just the outer dimensions. Some of the things I've seen leverage graphics around the Apple logo on the back, hence any graphics around it would be obvious if it were not perfectly centered. On the front, I would have the same challenge. Anything around the buttons would look bad if not perfect.

Great point about not putting any names on it regarding re-sale value. Thanks again for your input.

Bugs