View Full Version : Federal Dining Room Table

John Zahurak
01-01-2012, 1:47 PM
Happy New Year everyone! Here is a description of the new dining room table that I managed to just finish in time for the holidays. There is a mix of hand and power tools, in the construction, so feel free to move upstairs or keep here.

Inspiration for the Table:
My wife and I usually look through magazines and books to find a piece of furniture we both like. In this case our table is a combination of elements from two we found. The first was a Circa 1775 Hepplewhite dining table in the “Dictionary of English Furniture” by MacQuoid. This table had the basic form that we both liked. The second inspiration came from one we spotted in an antiques magazine by Nathon Margolis built in 1937. It had inlay drops we liked.

Dimensions:
The table dimensions were taken roughly from those above adjusted to fit our dining room and family size. The dimensions ended up being tweaked again in construction to match with the lumber I had. With no leaves, the table top is 72 x 46 ˝”. It stands a little under 31 ˝” tall.
There are 4 leaves each 13 ˝” wide, so the grand total is 10.5’ long.

Construction Details:
The table is constructed out of mahogany. I started with the legs first. The legs were tapered on the table saw and cleaned up with a hand plane. I also inlayed the legs at this point in the construction (described later). The corners of the table are bricklayed then bandsawn to rough shape, then scraped and sanded to final shape. The curved corners were then joined to the straight rails with mortise and tennon joints.

The legs are joined to the curved corners using bridle joints. The bridle joints were cut using a combination of hand saw, router plane, and router (my first time cutting these joints). Fine tuning of the joint was done with a shoulder plane, chisels, and smoothing plane. The bridle joint and the corner were reinforced with corner blocks, a backer block, and long screws to tie them all together.

After joining the legs the rails, I veneered the rail to cover the bricklay corners. I used a thick veneer for this with liquid hide glue and clamping cauls. Alternatively, I could have veneered the rails first and then cut the bridle joints. However, I was concerned about chip-out while cutting the joint and my ability to get a crisp joint in the corners. While unwieldy with the frame glued together, my technique did work fine in the end. The liquid hide glue also allowed me to re-heat (used an iron and a wet towel) and re-press a few areas that did not pull in tight the first time.

Since the table is quite long when fully open, I was concerned about it sagging. I added a cross-brace stretcher dovetailed into the rails with an additional support leg under each half of the table. This also uses a bridle joint to attach the leg. I added decorative support blocks on two sides of the legs to help prevent the legs from twisting when sliding across the floor. The cross-pieces are notched to allow room for the table slides (metal). Where the pieces are notched, I added wood (in the shape of an L) to reinforce the cross-piece and further tie in with the side rails.

The main top is made of three wide boards arranged for grain….hence the tops final dimensions. The boards were hand planed to thickness and then scraped and sanded. The leaves similarly were from wide boards cut to a more manageable size. Unfortunately just before finishing, I discovered a significant check/crack in the end of one that I ultimately decided to cut out. In the end, they all were cut to 13 ˝” wide. (27” wide leaves are too heavy to handle comfortably!)

I used bullet shaped dowels to align the tops, pushed them all together and planed and sanded the top as a huge unit…..it looked like a sea of mahogany to plane and sand!

Inlay:
The fan inlays were made for me by Rob Millard to fit my leg and skirt dimensions perfectly. He was great to work with and I recommend him without reservation. Note: During final sanding, I managed to sand through one of the fans…..very sick feeling. I called Rob for inputs. Took a pencil rubbing of the one I sanded through, sent it to him and he made me another just a fraction oversized. Problem Fixed!!

The stringing and banding I made from holly and black died wood. The long straight runs of stringing on the legs were cut using a router with a 1/16” bit. The curved portions of the stringing were inlayed using the Lie Nielsen inlay cutter with various pivot points anchored outside of the leg in a scrap board. I also used a narrower cutter blade for the lower curves as the bell-flowers get smaller.

The bellflowers were punched from holly veneer using various gouges and the recesses in the leg were punched using the same gouges. A combination of router and chisels were used to form the recess for the petals. Sand shading was followed by glue up with liquid hide glue. The flowers were done sequentially to give the desired overlap effect. (Center first followed by the outer petals.)

The banding on the bottom of the legs was completed after the leg stringing and it terminates the ends of the stringing. The banding was inlayed using chisels and a router plane. I mitered the corners as I wrapped the banding around (not recommended....I don’t think it is noticeable and it is tedious since the banding cuts are angled due to the leg taper). I used many of the same techniques Steve Latta uses in his DVDs (which I recommend highly as well).

The banding on the table rails I was done in two stages. The long straight sections I cut on the table saw (I have a slider, so I clamped the assembly down and then slid the whole assembly over a dado head cutter). This only got me part-way since the rails are curved. The rest of the way around the curve was done using a cutting guage, marking knife, and chisels to score the line, then a router plane to remove the waste. Finally the banding was clamped in using flexible plywood blocks and clamps. Last it was scraped flush with the rail.

Finish:
The finish starts with a thin coat of boiled linseed oil (not sure it is necessary) followed many coats of pale shellac padded on with sanding between some of the coats. Finally I wiped on many coats of the paste varnish to increase water resistance. (I struggle with keeping the shellac streak free and had to strip the table once and start over…..will look in to spraying in the future.)

Although I have heard that paste varnish is not water proof, I found differently. I left water and vodka standing on the finish test board for 20 minutes. No damage to the finish, so I am satisfied for my purposes.

James Owen
01-01-2012, 2:15 PM
Stunning. Beautiful work, and a very thorough, interesting write-up. Thanks for sharing!

Chris Griggs
01-01-2012, 4:15 PM
That's awesome John! Fitting those brindle joints off the curved aprons must have been tricky. Well done. Great wood selection too. That finish you used is my new favorite, definitely takes some practice to shellac applied evenly. I've only used that method on relatively small surfaces and even than I had to strip the shellac of once and redo the coat on one of the main surfaces the first time I tried it. That's the great thing though, if you mess it up its easy to strip off and start over.

Anyway, again, very impressive design and craftsmanship. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Steve Branam
01-01-2012, 4:18 PM
Gorgeous! I have Steve Latta's DVD. The inlay work is extremely delicate and precise to do. I'd like to tackle some of this soon. For now, Queen Anne pieces give me a little less to worry about!

Howard Pollack
01-01-2012, 6:30 PM
A really beautiful piece of work! Congratulations. -Howard

Allan Ferguson
01-01-2012, 6:48 PM
A lovely table to be proud of.

Jim Neeley
01-01-2012, 8:19 PM
Awesome, John... Making the table alone would be quite an esercise but then to add the inlay... Wow... Maybe in time I'll get there.. <g>

Brent VanFossen
01-02-2012, 2:47 AM
Beautiful work!

Brett Robson
01-02-2012, 7:21 AM
Fantastic job! I'm particularly impressed with your inlays! Someday I hope to have the courage to attempt a Federal piece!

Walter Plummer
01-02-2012, 7:55 AM
Beautiful and inspiring. Are you going to make the chairs? How long have you been woodworking?

gary Zimmel
01-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Real nice work on the table John. That inlay really sets it off.
Now it seems it's chair time...

David Weaver
01-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Really really nice tidy work.

David Keller NC
01-02-2012, 12:42 PM
John - Very impressive work, particularly if this is your first table. Tables are easier than joined chairs, but they have subtle complexities that make getting a superior result quite difficult. That's a really beautiful piece that will be passed down in your family for generations.

A comment and a question: What wood did you use to bricklay the corners?

Comment - shellac, if it's superior flake shellac that hasn't seen the inside of a hot, humid warehouse for a season is extremely water resistant and hard-wearing. I was surprised by this, as I'd incorporated the "common wisdom" about shellac being prone to water marks and not standing up to the wear that a table top is subjected to. I finished a kitchen island top out of cherry with multiple coats of dewaxed shellac dissolved from flakes. This island is in a friend's house with 3 kids and a wife that likes to cook, so it sees heavy use. I convinced the couple that shellac would be a better choice than polyurethane or conversion varnish because small chips or other blemishes could be repaired easily with shellac (polymerized varnish would require stripping the entire island). I noted shellac's reputation for water marking, and promised them I would re-finish the top if it didn't hold up.

2 years later, the finish on the top looks as good as the day it was put on. It has stood up to frequent water, beer and wine contact, as well as the abrasion from frequent preparation of food and dinner plates being slid across it. It's also stood up to a 90 proof distilled liquor spill, though that was wiped up relatively quickly. The only damage (which I easily repaired by sanding the blemish and re-coating it with shellac) was from an extremely hot coffee cup being placed directly on the surface and left there, which created a ring in the top layers of shellac.

Bottom line - I've finished all tables since then with shellac. It's very friendly to a shop without a vapor removal system (which would make laquer really tough to deal with - the fumes really stink, and they're explosive), and after I got used to french polishing, incredibly easy to apply. And without exception, the final finish is comparable to a high-end piano, and I've gotten many nice compliments on the results.

Jim Koepke
01-02-2012, 2:08 PM
Very nice work indeed.

jtk

Leo Passant
01-02-2012, 8:41 PM
Congratulations! That's the nicest table I have seen on these pages.

John Zahurak
01-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Hello all. Thanks for all the very nice comments, it’s great to hear positive feedback! Here are a few answers to questions:

Walter and Gary, yes chairs are on the list. I took a really good Chippendale chair-making class last month from Ben Hobbs in NC. I posted a write up on it a few weeks ago if you’re interested.

David, I debated a long time on the material to use for the bricklaying. I considered using poplar as a “traditional” choice, but was worried about different wood movement between the poplar and the thick mahogany veneer. I ended up using some less desirable mahogany left-overs. They were less than ideal due to worm holes and sap-wood. I felt a little less guilty about using mahogany in an unseen part of the table this way.

I've been woodworking part time for about 20 years as work and family allow.

Thanks again - John

Randall Houghton
01-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Beautiful table John sure to be passed down through your family for many generations to come. A true classic.
Regards
Randy

Zahid Naqvi
01-03-2012, 6:01 PM
wow! great work. Now that is one table that no one can claim "I can buy that from a store".

Nelson Howe
01-03-2012, 7:04 PM
Beautiful work.

Nelson

John T Barker
01-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Freaking awesome work sir. Very nice. This question may have already been asked/answered but why pale shellac? I would think the amber would give a nice depth to the color of the mahogany. Don't pieces have to be post revolution to be Federal?

John

Mike Heaney
01-05-2012, 11:00 AM
John,

Creek member for 6 years, and 15 posts- now we know that you have been spending your time in your shop and not on the creek! Well done- as someone who has been playing with inlaying at a much simpler level, your efforts have inspired me!

I'd be interested to hear more about your experience with the LN inlay cutter- I have thought about it, but was unsure if I was better served with getting better with carving chisels- since I have almost none of those now, this would start as an either/or purchase, but suspect that even with the LN cutter, I will still end up needing to invest in some decent chisels and gouges. The inlay I have done so far has been with regular LN chisels and some scary attempts with a powered router- which for me does not have the level of control I really need.

again- beautiful job on the table- and glad to hear you are using appropriate finish testing chemicals!

regards

Mike

Calvin Hobbs
01-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Really elegant John. Beautiful form and nicely executed.

Couple of questions: You used metal slides, care to expound on what you chose and how they worked out?

Also, where did you source the wide mahogany? Thanks for posting, really nice! Cal

Matthew N. Masail
01-05-2012, 1:57 PM
Wow.... that is truly top class. !

John Zahurak
01-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Hi John B - I chose pale shellac because I did not want to darken the inlay any. The linseed oil yellowed the holly a little bit and I did not want to darken it any with a garnet shellac.

Hey Mike - I am very happy with the Lie Nielsen inlay tools and used them exclusively to cut the curved sections. I used a power router in a router table to cut the long straight sections....it is fast and easy to drop the leg down on the cutter and push it the length of the cut. I did use a router with a pivot to cut some test circles, but felt I had more control using the hand tool. If I were purchasing them, I would get the circle cutter 1st with the different thickness cutters followed by the straight cutter. I had less success with the thicknessing guage....my holly was somewhat brittle and I snapped and tore up a number of pieces. I'll try again with some different stock and some fiddling.

Hi Calvin - I chose metal over wood for the extra rigidity and they take up less space. I put cross-pieces in each half for extra support, and with wooden slides (I ordered a pair), the notch I would have to cut to fit around the slides was really significant and I felt would weaken the pieces too much. The metal slides take up much less space. They are not period and they don't sound very smooth as they open, but they do not sag at all and work fine. I ordered them from Moin Hardware (I don't think I can add a link, but Google will find them). The wide mahogany came from Irion Lumber a number of years ago.

Thanks - John

Curt Putnam
01-06-2012, 2:33 AM
Someone said stunning - an absolute understatement. I am speechless.

Do you have any build pics? Especially the inlay work?

John Zahurak
01-07-2012, 3:21 PM
Hi Curt - Here are some additional pictures. I don't have too many to chose from for the inlay, but here are a few of the construction.

Bricklay build up for corners:

Clamping for the either the veneered rails or the banding into the rails:

Scribing for the banding recess across the leg. Done after veneering the rails and cutting the recess for the banding in the rails. Easier to line up the banding and wrap it around the leg side and across the front.

Cutting the recess for the banding. After scribing a line the width of the banding, I deepened the line with chisels (similar technique to cutting the baseline on dovetails; chop vertically, remove small tirangular chip, chop vertically, etc.) and then cross-chopped the wood in the recess area with a chisel to break up the wood. Cleaned it out with the router plane.

Test fit for the banding:

John Zahurak
01-07-2012, 3:39 PM
Here are a few other pictures:

Here is the recess for the banding being cut. I have scribed the edges or the recess and then begun deepening the scribe lines: chopping down vertically then coming in from the side at an angle to remove the chip of wood. You can also see that the recess for the banding in the bricklaid rails is already cut.

Here is an alternative leg design I considered using: Barber pole drop between the flowers.

And another with a single flower:

I made the test leg from sapele (right color and I had a piece in the shop). I tried 4 different flower/stringing designs on each side of the leg. I also tried several different styles of fans at the top from ovals to diamonds. Here are all the legs with the bottom half completed minus the banding and waiting for a decision on the inlay at the top of the leg. Here is a diamond laid down to see the effect. In the background is the test leg with the 4 designs. Also have the center support legs for the extensions.

David Keller NC
01-08-2012, 8:42 AM
John - Very interesting build pics. I suspect a number of us would appreciate shots of the underside and close-ups of the joinery if you have them. If you feel like it, this would be an excellent write-up for the SMC article archive.

John Zahurak
01-12-2012, 9:34 PM
HI Dave -

Here are a few shots of the underside and joinery. Best regards - John

A shot of the stretcher where it ties in to the side rail. The stretcher is joined to the rail with a sliding dovetail. The L-shaped piece of wood is a reinforcing piece I added to beef up the stretcher where I had to notch it to fit around the extension slides. The L-piece is joined with a mortise and tennon and then glued/screwed to the rails.

Here is a picture of the center leg joining to the stretcher. It is joined with a bridle joint. I added two support brackets to the sides of the leg in the direction that the leg will twist when opening for the leaves. These are glued to the leg and then two long screws from the inside of the table are added for further reinforcement.

Here is the corner showing the leg joint to the rail. The joint is a bridle joint to the bricklaid round section. The bricklaid corner is joined to the straight rails with a mortise and tennon. The outside of the assembly is then veneered over. I added corner blocks with blocking to reinforce the joint as the table is dragged on the floor. These are secured with glue and long screws.

Table top is fastened to the base using wooden buttons on the ends and slotted (Lee Valley) fasteners cross-grain