PDA

View Full Version : Turning Resolutions?

Pete Jordan
01-01-2012, 1:41 PM
Mine is to turn an ornament each day. I figure by next Christmas I should have quite a few if my math is correct. My next problem is where to store them and how to finish them. I know some of you spray laquer on them but that means I won't be able to do that till spring since I am working in my kitchen.

Good luck with your resolution!

Steve Vaughan
01-01-2012, 1:50 PM
You made me think of my days in seminary, my wife and I living in an on-campus apartment. I made a coffee table that doubled as my workbench. I belt sanded, spray finished, stained so many things in our little apartment, it's a wonder the management or others didn't kick us out!

My resolution is immediate - I'm gonna focus on combination flatwork/turning and get this bed made that I've been promising forever for my wife!

John Keeton
01-01-2012, 1:55 PM
Pete, I resolved to not make any resolutions!! But, my personal "wish" for the New Year of of turning is much like Scott Hackler's - more focus, and refinement in my work. The diversity among us makes for a great community, and most folks just turn because they love to turn. I think that is refreshing, and there are times I wish I was made that way. I find it difficult to go to my lathe when I don't have a particular idea that is crying out to be turned.

More than that, however, I wish for waves of creativity for my fellow creekers. Seeing all the wonderful pieces created by folks we know, and seeing new turners come on the creek and quickly progress kind of makes it all worth while!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2012, 2:46 PM
Pete like you I need to start Christmas now so I am done when it rolls around. Of course we all know that will be tomorrow before we know it. I started using the General Finishes Woodturners finish for small stuff and I really like it. It is a hybrid oil/water based finish. With the help of a hair dryer I can put 6 coats on in about 30 to 35 minutes.

My hope is to work on refinement, stretch my bounderies, focus more on sanding/finishing and have some fun.

Curt Fuller
01-01-2012, 2:53 PM
Hey Pete, why not turn 7 ornaments one day a week and throw a little fishing, golfing, and other stuff in on your days off.;)

As someone who turned a lot of ornaments over the last few years (nowhere near 1 a day though), I resolve to turn anything but ornaments this year. I'm kind of getting into larger (for my lathe) salad bowls and want to try some variations of the teapot ideas I've been keeping an eye on. Plus I'm thinking of stealing a few ideas from DD (consider yourself forewarned David).

David DeCristoforo
01-01-2012, 3:01 PM
Turn more.
Talk about turning less.
Be happier than I was last time I checked (no limits).
Eat good food (some limits).
Love my wife more (may not be possible but it should be fun trying).

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-01-2012, 3:52 PM
I like Double D's resolutions, especially the last.......but with my own wife. However, I vowed to finish a table I began a long time ago. I put it aside with only some sanding, staining and finishing left to do. I'm working on it as we speak but the lathe is a constant temptation and this is only Jan.1. By the way, Happy and Healthy New Year to one and all.
faust

Dan Forman
01-01-2012, 4:13 PM
Learn to do a smooth finish cut, measurably improve my sanding technique. I see a definite relation between these two.

Dan

David E Keller
01-01-2012, 4:23 PM
I'm not too big on resolutions, but I think I have a few principles that I'll try to loosely adhere to... I'm going to try and sketch more, so when the all too frequent turners block hits, I'll have a little inspiration file to peruse. I'm going to try to keep said sketchbook away from the rug rats who have destroyed the last two. Maybe the kids are trying to get me to segment since they tear all of my drawings into little pieces... Critics!

I hope to improve my finishing skills as well... I need to be more patient and attentive when I'm sanding, and I need to make myself sharpen before finishing cuts as I know I should.

Otherwise, I'll continue to do what interests me at any given time. I'd like to develop a particular style, but I've yet to hit upon something that holds my interest long enough for a series... Perhaps that will change this year. In the meantime, I'll continue to seek out the pieces of wood that most of the rest of the group would rather not have to turn!

Nate Davey
01-01-2012, 4:37 PM
Not much of a sketcher, so take more pics of shapes I like with my iPhone,
Improve my tool control for smoother surfaces,
figure out sanding
figure out finishing
figure out hollowing
figure our dyeing.......
Something about my wife too, but can't remember:D

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-01-2012, 5:58 PM
Hi sll. my resolutions are flexible, as they always are...
1, Finish my wood storage shed (for dry plank work);
2, Sort the shop out so I can work more productively - i.e. setting aside turning, plankwork, and metal working areas... (wish me luck!);
3, Start, and finish the canopy for my daughters' bed;
4, Practice, and improve, my turning;
5, Set the bench grinder up properly so I get the same angles on all the tools I use;
6, Figure out polishes...

Again, wish me luck. I SHALL be turning more large items, and most of the above needs to come to fruition first.

Kathy Marshall
01-01-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm also not much on resolutions, but some of the things I'd like to work on this year:
1.Get better about processing wood into blanks rather than just sealing the ends of logs. Even with sealer, I still lose a lot to cracking and checking in the AZ heat.
2. Extend my shade area to about to about 20' x 16' (it's currently 8' x 16"), so I have somewhere to store all the blanks I hope to be cutting.
3. Focus a little more on finishing instead of letting unfinished pieces stack up on the workbench.
4. (and it's a doozy!) Clean the shop and try and keep it up on an ongoing basis (took me an hour to find the box of diamond burrs I bought less than a month ago!

If all else fails, I'll just turn some more :D

Dennis Ford
01-02-2012, 9:42 AM
My resolution is to make lots of stuff and learn a new technique or two.

Jim Burr
01-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't like Resoultions...I doubt I need something else to fail at!;) But I want to learn to turn bowls like Baxter and Dan, do more than one Bird house ornament, focus on utility stuff (my idea of fun!) I'd like to head to Utah this year and get some legit lessons at CSUSA unless there is a cool school in Ca, technique focus will a key element this year!!

Lee Koepke
01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
I too would like to concentrate more on the form, taking my time (better tool control) and trying something different each time. (Opposite of Scott!!!) I am still learning, so I would like to find something that 'fits' me.

Brian Effinger
01-02-2012, 12:37 PM
My only turning resolution is to turn more. I don't get nearly enough lathe time. Of course that brings me to a non-turning resolution - work on my time management, including some pretty bad procrastination.

Robert Henrickson
01-02-2012, 7:39 PM
Perhaps to finish more? And there is the other problem, mentioned several times already, of focus. My turning ventures mirror what was said, even early on, of my academic career: "You show an admirable breadth of interest, or a deplorable lack of direction". It's probably the latter.

Brian Kent
01-02-2012, 8:52 PM
I intend to (Not "resolve", just "intend") to…

…attend some demonstration meetings at San Diego Wood Turners
…touch a tool to spinning wood for the first time in my life
…take some private instruction from an experienced mentor from SDWT
…save some bucks and pay for a good new or used lathe without credit cards
…obtain one great tool and make or find others to learn on

All while keeping perspective so that I am using a tool and it is not using me :D (I plan on being the first!)

Jack Mincey
01-03-2012, 7:26 AM
Keep improving on my turning and being that I got a great video on turning hats for Christmas, I will try my hand at turning one this year.
Jack