PDA

View Full Version : Any Sewing Experts?

Russ Filtz
01-01-2012, 8:22 AM
Trying to get a basic machine for my 9-yr old daughter. Bought a cheapo portable unit, but it went back immediately. Any recommendations for a sub-$300 (preferably sub $200) machine? I know you can look at older used machines, but I'd also like the drop in bobbin thing and maybe the 1-step buttonhole. I've checked all the usual ones like Brother, Singer, Kenmore, etc., and some of the others like Juki, Janome, Husqvarna, Bernina. Also it seems like a lot of "name" brands have theirs made by Janome anyway. Soo many models/options it's confusing. I want something that's relatively easy to use, yet has the power to get through the tough stuff. Then there's mechanical, and electronic vs. computerized (yes, there does seem to be a difference).

Here are a couple I've looked at.

http://www.amazon.com/JUKI-HZL-27Z-Sewing-Machine/dp/B004C04YI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1325423703&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Janome-HD1000-Heavy-Sewing-Machine/dp/B004I0BFWU/ref=sr_1_19?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1325423737&sr=1-19

http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Magnolia-7318-Sewing-Machine/dp/B001I1D1VA/ref=sr_1_4?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1325423737&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Affordable-60-Stitch-Computerized-Free-Arm/dp/B000JQM1DE/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1325423857&sr=1-1

David Larsen
01-01-2012, 9:08 AM
A few years ago I was in the market for a basic machine. I didn't need or want all the gadgets. I bought a Singer thinking name brand quality. I had to return 3 of them after purchase because each one had something wrong with them. I then gave up on Singer and went with a Kenmore. I have been satisfied since and I think the price was around $100. I wasn't originally sold on wanting a Kenmore, but it does what I ask of it and with the Sears company behind it, it is easy to find accessories.

Some of the machines in a higher bracket practically sew for you. To me, that defeats the purpose of a general use machine. If you want to go into business sewing, then a higher bracket machine may suit you. For your grand-daughter, a basic Kenmore would be perfect.

Belinda Barfield
01-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Russ, if there is a quilting shop in your area you might want to stop in, tell them what you want from a machine, and get an opinion. In my experience most quilters want a machine to run pieces together, as the majority of the quilting is done by hand. A basic machine, not a lot of bells and whistles.

Mark Dorman
01-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Good advice Belinda. Check out a quilt shop. My wife quilts and had a Brother for years and then bought a new one and the plastic gears stripped out in less than 90 days. Now she has a Jenome from a quilt shop and has done miles of stitching without problems. She says to Jenome is to Love me.;~)

Mark

Mark Dorman
01-01-2012, 10:37 AM
P.S. We were looking at the Magnolia model (would have been fine in my opinion hers to) but after a couple trips to the quilt shop my wife came home with one that was over 500. There were a couple things that where more quilter friendly on it; may have been sales pitch but she's happy.

Jim Becker
01-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Fine a store that caters to serious sewing enthusiasts (a local place, not a chain) and ask them what you should be looking for that meeting your budget but also offers ease of use (less quirks) and quality. They may also have a board up for folks who may be selling to upgrade and that may net you something "better" than your budget would fit for something new.

Phil Thien
01-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Fine a store that caters to serious sewing enthusiasts (a local place, not a chain) and ask them what you should be looking for that meeting your budget but also offers ease of use (less quirks) and quality. They may also have a board up for folks who may be selling to upgrade and that may net you something "better" than your budget would fit for something new.

Good advice.

The other upside is that they will often unbox a unit and test it, to make sure it is working properly. When my wife purchased her last machine, they spent about ten minutes checking it over, and another ten or fifteen minutes showing her what was different between this new one, and her old one.

These places are often authorized service centers, too.

Harry Hagan
01-01-2012, 11:51 AM
If you don't have a local quilting expert, here's a link to the National Quilting Museum in Paducah, KY

http://www.quiltmuseum.org/

You'll get some help from them.

Thomas Hotchkin
01-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Russ
My wife is a quilter and has two Bernina sewing machines one is about 8 years old, Other then services has never needed any repairs. All of her quilting friends also own Bernina's. I have no idea where Bernina price starts out at, but they all swear how great a machine Bernina is. Tom

john lampros
01-01-2012, 12:44 PM
I just borrowed my daughters Viking, it was very easy to use and sewed very smoothly. I always thought cheaper machines sewed real roughly and is hard to get the feel for sewing when your fighting the machine. you want one that sews smoothly at low speed. Bernina's are a dream and so is an Elna. perhaps you can get a better machine if you go the used rout like the bay or CL.
Keep it clean and oiled fabrics give of a lot of dust and its hell on the mechanics.

Bill Edwards(2)
01-01-2012, 3:00 PM
Search on .... quilting guilds, tampa, fl

These groups are like coming here for advise.:D

Russ Filtz
01-01-2012, 8:49 PM
Thanks all. The only sewing shop I've been to is at Joann's fabric. They are independent, but only sell Singer and Husqvarna (Viking). Both of those are now made by Janome AFAIK. So naturally they want to sell you those models. Not sure you are just paying for the "name" in that instance. Soo many models/options, new/old, etc., to choose from. Confusing. I think there is another sewing center a few miles away. I'll check them out this week when the kids get back in school.

Bob Rufener
01-01-2012, 9:49 PM
My wife bought a Baby Lock machine about a year ago. She has gotten into quilting. The machine was lightly used and she paid it was under $300. The machine is working well and seems to do everything she wants. We just bought a quilting foot for it and it was about $15.00.

She bought it through a sewing machine retailer.

Jim Becker
01-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Joanne Fabric is a chain/franchise and not so "independent". I suspect if you do some searching, you'll be able to find a truly local/independent sewing shop somewhere within reasonable distance, especially given that sewing is such a popular avocation for so many folks who retire to Florida for the weather.