PDA

View Full Version : Wheeled tool try + storage

Matthew N. Masail
01-01-2012, 4:30 AM
I have this Idea to build a wheeled tool cabinet with a tool try on top and chisel racks on the side - which are sealed and connected through holes to the cabinet interior and have a few vent holes.
I figure that's a great way to have most of my tools organized, where I need them and it will help keep the bench free too.
I think it would be great but figured I should ask if there is a problem with this idea? Since I can only envision in for now.
it also need a recommendation for a passive dehumidifier ?
do saw blades need to be stored in a cabinet too for rust protection?
Any ideas would also be great, I think this might be my first REAL project, dovetails and all.

Jim Matthews
01-01-2012, 9:03 AM
If your shop degrades the way mine has, rolling things around will become difficult.
I have a similar rolling cabinet (essentially three stacked cubes) made from 19mm plywood.

The works are supported by four large, swivelling casters. Fully loaded, it's roughly 130kg - not much.
It's a pain to jockey this thing around, unless the floor is perfectly clean and the shop is tidy (which is never).

I would recommend the "French cleat" system over rolling carts. There's more utility in having tools stored individually, and taken to the workpiece.

Unless you're working in an aircraft hanger, or need to tuck things away into a closet (http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Smallest-Workshop-in-the-World/), wheels add a layer of complexity.

Steve Branam
01-01-2012, 9:48 AM
I started out using a wheeled cart/cabinet, see http://www.closegrain.com/2010/02/workshop-discipline-and-tool-storage.html.

However, I ran into the same problems with the wheels that Jim mentions. On a clean shop floor, it's fine, but chips and shavings rapidly make rolling it around a nuisance. I put bigger wheels on, which helped. Then I ran into the problem of more tools!

Having exceeded the capacity of the cart, I switched to wall-mounted tool boards, similar to the French cleat kind of system, and have been very happy with that, see http://www.closegrain.com/2011/02/workshop-reorganization.html. If you're worried about moisture in the air, wall storage systems can include doors to close things up (also good if there are small children around who might try to pull things down).

Storage is an evolutionary process as you learn new skills and acquire new tools. The tools you think are most important can change. It's one thing for someone with 20 years of active experience to layout tool storage, and another for someone who's just learning. The experienced person knows exactly what they use and how often, and can make much better decisions about storage and accessibility to maintain work efficiency. The beginner needs to plan for flexibility and expansion, and may even end up reducing work efficiency due to the lack of experience!

Matthew N. Masail
01-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I didn't think of that... maybe a tool chest would be better after all....

Jonathan McCullough
01-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Hmm. I've about reached my limit for orphan tools, know what I want/need don't want/don't need, and think the idea of a rolling tool cart has a lot of merit. My thought was to have trays containing chisels, spokeshaves, rasps, and layout tools geared to specific tasks--dovetailing, mortise & tenon, joinery planes, eggbeaters/spiral screw drivers. There would be a saw till with joinery saws on one side and an angled surface on another for bench planes. The third side, a saw till for hand-, rip-, and panel saws. Top shelf would be a tray for oil stones and sharpening stuff. Lowest shelf for clunky stuff like a hand grinder, combo planes. All that would fit in a plywood cabinet with a goldenrod or maybe a low-watt light bulb to keep the moisture out. Custom built for all the tools I've come to like, need, or find handy. A place for everything and everything in its place. Sweep up and sharpen before leaving the shop. Some day. . . .

Matthew N. Masail
01-01-2012, 12:32 PM
That's what I was thinking too.... there is also the added bones ofhaving the workbench free of tools, as you have the "cart" near the bench with the top shaped to hold tools in use - i.e groove to prevent chisels rolling and such. my biggest problem now is that if I don't walk back and forth everytime I use a tool the workbench soon becomes clattered.

Jonathan McCullough
01-01-2012, 1:26 PM
Well it seems to me that the top of the rolling tool bench would act like a procedure tray does for dentists--all their little thingees are there for the using. I was thinking of putting all my dovetailing tools in one tray. Maybe it should come out and rest on the top of the tool chest so when I'm dovetailing it's all right there. Maybe fitted recesses and felt lining. Paring chisels in another drawer. Mortise chisels and gauges in another. Doubtless there's a better example but here's (http://production-images.webapeel.com/huey/assets/2009/1/19/12283/carter_014_xxlarge.JPG) a rough idea of what I was thinking about, from just googling around for an image.

Steve Branam
01-01-2012, 1:33 PM
That's how I use my cart now (when I don't leave it piled up). I can set tools down on it temporarily to keep the bench clear, and put pieces I've prepared on the shelves until they're ready to go together.

Matthew N. Masail
01-01-2012, 2:59 PM
hmmm..... so as I'm seeing it now, a wall mounted tool cabinet with rust prevention + a lightweight cart (for easy moving) with shelves and a removable top try. order of working:
1. go to the tool cabinet and place the tools you will need on the try. you can also build a small table under the cabinet to put the try on.
2. wheel the cart or carry the try to the cart near the workplace.
3. do the work
4. repeat 1,2 and 3 for next operation

I can see this being quite convenient verses a tool cabinet only. Jonathan's idea is fancy and might be wonderful, but, it's way over the top for me.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-01-2012, 4:18 PM
I haven't looked in a while, but I feel like there were some nice examples of rolling tool storage in Tolpin's book.

Sean Hughto
01-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Unlike many folks here apparently, I like my rolling cart. It fits under one end of my bench, so it's out of the way storage when I don't want to roll it out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chevy_chase_hughtos/2281043624/

Matthew N. Masail
01-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi sean, I like that! (-: how do you keep the humidity low in the cart? silica gel?

Sean Hughto
01-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't do anything and have never had a problem in my shop,which is in a temperature controlled part of my house.

Kevin Dube
01-02-2012, 3:04 PM
While not for planers and chisels, I had started using a bucket with a Bucket Buddy apron years ago as a temp measure, only to find, I actually liked it versus building something else. It was on this old wheeled step up stool for almost ten years, and a few months ago I decided to build its own cart.

218021 218022

The top that the bucket sits on is removeable and can be placed on the bottom, so I can slide the whole unit on a cart to wheel to other parts of the house/property.

218023 218024

The same top can be used to coverthe tools entirely in the lower box for transportation in the van, for when I need to take them to my inlaws for doing work there.

218025 218026

It was all assembled using Dominos, and the lower base unit can also accomodate a #3 systainer as well. It works for me, and like that all my little hand tools are easily accesible.

218027 218028

Mike Holbrook
01-02-2012, 3:06 PM
During a garage project the wife came up with a wall storage system that has been expanding into my shop....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16891057@N05/?saved=1

Still I want a rolling cabinet too. I bought big red wheels at the wood show. I just need a design I like, complicated by need for a home for my restored Millers Falls Langdon Mitre Box. Keep posting ideas!