PDA

View Full Version : Putting hand planes away at the end of the day cleaning procedure?

Mike Kelsey
12-31-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm not sure what is the best approach. When I get a "new" plane, after sharpening, I wipe the parts with Jojoba oil & reassemble. I keep hearing from instructional videos to wipe the oil off prior to use. OK, but should I disassemble the whole thing or just wipe the exposed surfaces? I've done both & of course noticed those with just a surface wipe - when I try to clean then at the end of the day there are areas where the sawdust is slightly caked. Upon disassemble it's still oily between the blade & chipper.

I can see a chisel oiled at the end of a day since it's a simple wipe off when ready to use again.

I reasoned there's no reason to put oil on the sole except for longer storage periods, since I wax the sole anyway as needed. I've moved mny irons out of the barn for the winter & in to the house, so should I wipe some oil on when sharpened, then lightly buff it off & just wipe the saw dust off at the end of the day & call it good as long as no rusting appears?

Jerry Thompson
01-01-2012, 8:46 AM
I live in Florida. That being said, I take plane care seriously. After I use one I wipe it down with mineral spirtis or denatured alcohol. I then use camelia oil or Bo-Shield. I do not take it apart. I take care of those areas I may have touched. Yes I do the sole. It takes longer to remove rust than it does to prevent it. I also use plane socks to protect the tool. Even after all of that I have missed small areas and rust attacks.

David Weaver
01-01-2012, 9:07 AM
Just wipe off the cheeks of the plane and the sole.

If you wax your plane cheeks with furniture paste wax, that'll go a lot further and longer than a light oil.

Michael Peet
01-01-2012, 9:09 AM
I don't do a complete disassembly either, I just oil the sides and sole at the end of the day. Once in a while when I have it apart for sharpening I might oil the other metal parts. Next time I use it I wipe the sole on my jeans to clean the oil off. This is just one reason I have dedicated shop clothes..

Mike

Carl Beckett
01-01-2012, 9:25 AM
Well, to be perfectly honest my planes are usually left laid all over the workbench. Normally under a mallet, scraps, shavings, pencil, or whatever was involved in the task at hand.

;)

Ryan Griffey
01-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I blow them off with the air compressor and wipe them lightly with a rag and mineral oil.

If I'm sharpening I wipe them with mineral oil and take off the excess with a clean towel.

Shawn Pixley
01-01-2012, 8:05 PM
Dust off, wipe with camilla oil, put in plane sock, put in drawer.

jeff . whitaker
01-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Well, to be perfectly honest my planes are usually left laid all over the workbench. Normally under a mallet, scraps, shavings, pencil, or whatever was involved in the task at hand.

;)

Have you been watching me in the shop??
:D
Jeff

Curt Putnam
01-02-2012, 1:16 AM
I spray CorrosionX Heavy Duty on a rag every so often and use the rag to wipe off exposed metal surfaces as I set it on the bench where my planes live. Sometimes I blow out the sawdust. If I realize that I haven't used a plane in a while, I will take it apart and wipe all surfaces down and then put it away after reassembly. No rust so far.

Shlomo Hoffmann
01-02-2012, 8:46 AM
In addition to general dusting and oiling of planes mentioned here, there is another area that is usually overlooked by users is between the chip breaker and the plane iron, especially where the two meet at the cutting edge... Wood shavings and particles, especially super tiny dust, will always find their way into that area and get trapped. Depends on age, type and fit, some more, some less, but always something. As wood chips and dust are moisture hogs, routine inspection and cleaning between the iron/chip-breaker is quite helpful... A somewhat pitted plane sole can be still used, but even a lightly pitted iron's cutting edge is quite a goner and needs to be rejuvenated by removing material... In my hunts in the wild I have seen countless ruined irons with rust pitting at various levels on the cutting face and edge, many rendered quite useless, all probably caused by rusting due to moisture in such trapped shavings.

As a side note, I believe that is why plane irones found in the wild are often short with very little life left in them... I may be wrong, but I suspect it is more due to "rejuvenated" pitted cutting edges than because of normal heavy use.