PDA

View Full Version : 27" band saw and phase converter

keith micinski
12-31-2011, 6:38 PM
I have a chance to by this band saw and a static phase converter with it. The motor is supposed to have new bearings in it but has only been run when it was first bought and can't be hooked up right now. It comes with the magnetic switch the phase converter and a marathon 5 hp 3 phase motor. The saw has no markings that the guy can see and has an older delta unisaw fence on it. Any guess's on what it is? I know the photo of the whole saw isn't very good so it is hard to tell what it is.He also made his own tires out of some flat rubber stock he got from an amish guy and glued them onto the wheels which sounds like an issue but that seems like a minor thing to work out. What do you guys use for tires on these big saw's.It comes with two new 1 inch blades of unknown Manufacturer, the motor, phase converter and magnetic switch seem almost worth the 300 the guy is asking for it. What do you guys think?

keith micinski
12-31-2011, 7:14 PM
Boy I love this web site. I found this resource for tires after a little searching. http://woodworkerstoolworks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4&products_id=4

david brum
12-31-2011, 8:21 PM
You're seriously wondering if you should buy a 27" band saw for $300? What's to wonder about?

Jim Matthews
12-31-2011, 9:09 PM
If I was closer, I would be trying to wheedle the address out of you...

Even if you pay a rigger to move this, you're MILES ahead against the price of a comparable size new saw.
The phase converter or motor alone are worth the asking price.

Take the drive belt off and see if you can rotate the works.
If you can turn the motor shaft by hand, the bearings are likely serviceable.

This looks like a nicely maintained machine - what's not to love?

Kevin Presutti
12-31-2011, 9:19 PM
Ditto to David and Jim, don't walk but rather RUN you probably will get the Proverbial "YOU SUCK", if you don't ? ? ? By all means let us all know where this is!

keith micinski
12-31-2011, 9:23 PM
Well I recognize that it is a pretty good deal but honestly I never use the little Bandsaw I have now and this is going to take up a big corner of space so I was hoping someone would tell me it was going to be a big head ache and not worth it. Plus I haven't seen it yet. Usually a deal this good really is to good to be true so I guess we will see tomorrow.

keith micinski
12-31-2011, 9:32 PM
If I was closer, I would be trying to wheedle the address out of you...

Even if you pay a rigger to move this, you're MILES ahead against the price of a comparable size new saw.
The phase converter or motor alone are worth the asking price.

Take the drive belt off and see if you can rotate the works.
If you can turn the motor shaft by hand, the bearings are likely serviceable.

This looks like a nicely maintained machine - what's not to love?

Thats the other thing. It sounds like this thing is in a few pieces so I have to set up the drive belt system and run the wiring and hook up the switch and phase converter. No big deal but still work nonetheless and I am getting pieces that may or may not be good.

Van Huskey
01-02-2012, 6:28 PM
It will be a big headache a not worth it. :D Now go directly to deals and discounts and post the info so someone on here that is in Indiana can get what is likely a GREAT DEAL and instead of a "headache" you will get the undying gratitude of a fellow woodworker...

keith micinski
01-02-2012, 7:29 PM
I forgot to update the info on this. It turns out the saw had the back part of the legs cut off and the owner has bolted on a fabricated leg system. Also the resaw ability of this saw is only about 6 inches which is kind of a let down for such a monster of a saw and is the main thing I want a band saw for anyway. The throat plate was poured lead which isn't the end of the world but another thing that I would have to modify. The pulleys were all put on and guessed at so who knows what would be needed there. When the pulley was put on the lower wheel he turned the shaft down to accept the new pulley and shiv which didn't seem like the best thing. It also had a home made thrust bearing so that would eventually need replaced probably. So between wiring the whole thing, mounting the motor, switch, phase converter, having it cut in pieces and shafts turned down, and having home made tires on it I decided all I was really look at was pieces that when all put together didn't really interest me all that much. I have never been much of a BIG bandsaw guy anyway. Especially when it takes up that much space and you have the resaw capabilities of a 14 inch delta.

Paul Incognito
01-02-2012, 7:55 PM
Good move Keith. That seems pretty cobbled together. And with a resaw of only 6", not really worth much to me, either.
There's a couple old bandsaws on the OWWM classifieds right now that seem pretty decent.
Paul

keith micinski
01-02-2012, 8:35 PM
Ya, I am actually happy it only had a resaw of 6 inches because I would have probably overlooked everything else if it would have been able to do more.

Brian Myers
01-02-2012, 8:38 PM
Forget it if it only has 6" of resaw unless it`s the throat depth you really need. Plus that looks like it has a static converter which means you are not going to get the full HP rating out of the motor. The fact that he had to put it on a base suggest it may have been part of a combo machine but that does not make it a bad. 6" of resaw is a real deal breaker.I have a Silver 20" to restore and it has 9-10" of resaw. I will low it when I can get it down to replace the Delta 14".