PDA

View Full Version : Back on the water set to sail.

Tyler Howell
03-12-2005, 12:57 PM
If you'll recall around Xmas my great grandfather's Bailey #5 Jack showed up for some TLC. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15068 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15068)

Pounded in a new lateral lever adjust, & Y lever (with out breaking the frog.:o )

Plenty of lapping plate, brass brush and elbow grease. Removed that lovely "patina".

Three coats of black enamel paint then distressed it a little so it would look and act its age.

I didn't go for the pristine finish seen on some of the wonderful restorations here at the creek. I didn't want to :

Rub off the character,
Scrape away the knowledge
Trap all that experience and skill inside.
Slapped in an A2 Hock and headed for open water. Some figured maple and black walnut was the test course. She doesn't handle as well as the Bedrock 605 and was dusted by the LV LA Jack. I was able to get some light and fluffies on the cross wind tack.
It was a great experience and I'm going to keep tweaking on it.. Maybe I can rise to its level of play. Thanks for Looking Be sure to check the links for the "Before Pix":eek: :eek: .

Karl Laustrup
03-12-2005, 1:10 PM
Excellent work, Tyler. :)

I'm sure you're going to enjoy using that piece of iron. Keep tweaking. :D

John Miliunas
03-12-2005, 1:56 PM
A fine piece of resto work, bud! That Bedrock design is just hard to beat. But, for this particular one, that really doesn't make that much of a difference, now does it? I mean, all that special experience from within the piece itself will certainly find its way out and help guide you on doing a great job on that special project! I'm envious, actually; I really have nothing like that to hang on to from my past. It's a good thing you're doing by bringing that #5 to see the light of day!:) :cool:

Dan Moening
03-12-2005, 2:09 PM
Really nice restoration!

I wonder how well it would perform if you were to snug down the lever cap? ;)

"scrape away the knowledge"

hehe...I'll have to remember that one. :D

Terry Hatfield
03-12-2005, 7:39 PM
t,

Super job!!!!! Looks fantastic!!! I assume you had a bunch of good fun doing the restoration. You should be very proud.

I have been doing a bunch of them over the last month or so to sell and I have had a ball!!!!!! It gives me a chance to put some of my auto restoration years to good use in woodworking.

t

BTW...I'm with Dan...no telling how good it would work if the lever cap was latched down. :D

Louis Bois
03-12-2005, 8:00 PM
Nice job Tyler! You've given that plane a mighty fine Lazarus complex. I can only imagine the vibes that are transferred through those handles...from generations of inspired energy. Enjoy...enjoy.

Jim Stastny
03-12-2005, 8:22 PM
Tyler, Well done. It's a great feeling to use tools handed down from generation to generation. Enjoy!

Mike Scoggins
03-12-2005, 9:55 PM
Tyler,

Way to go. Nice job on the refurb!

Mike

Tyler Howell
03-13-2005, 1:10 PM
Thanks Guys. It was fun and introspective. If you'll note in the original pix the lever cap was up so I thought I better be authentic:rolleyes: .

Bob Atchison
03-13-2005, 1:15 PM
When I first saw your post I thought, "Okay another plane rehab...big deal."

Man you took that plane back from death's door! Way to go, looks super!

Dan Moening
03-13-2005, 11:38 PM
If you'll note in the original pix the lever cap was up so I thought I better be authentic.

After I posted, I thought better of it and hoped it didn't have anything to do with the thickness of the Hock blade...seems not...they fit just right eh?