PDA

View Full Version : Combo gauge pin replacement?

James Carmichael
12-31-2011, 8:30 AM
I've got a nice old marking/mortising gauge of unkown origin, but theres not much left of the pins.

This a screw type gauge, i.e. the mortise pins adjust independently of the beam.

mike holden
12-31-2011, 4:09 PM
Try pulling the pins out slightly with a pair of pliers, reshape with a needle file and you are good to go.
If the the remaining pin is too short, go to the hobby shop and get some piano wire slightly larger than your current pins and form a point, cut to length and twist in with pliers. You could also put some hide glue on if you feel the need, but be sure that whatever glue you use is reversible - you will want to reshape/replace the pins again some day (grin).
Mike
BTW, traditionally the pins would be made from brads (or sprigs if old enough).

Jim Koepke
12-31-2011, 5:01 PM
My advice would be about the same as Mike's.

The only difference is needing to see the item before choosing the best method of operation.

It comes down to having to figure out what you are going to use for the new pins and how to remove the old ones.

If they are brass, someone may have replaced them in the past. One of the pins may be in a brass plate. In that case, it could be soldered or just a press fit. That is something you will have to figure out and then determine how to proceed.

jtk

Jack Curtis
12-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Regular old tacks work great for this, too.

Jack

James Carmichael
01-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Soldering does sound like a good idea, since it is reversible.