PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Advice needed

Robert Cox
03-12-2005, 11:01 AM
goal is small bowls and vessels on my Jet Mini.

Need advice on what and where.

Thanks
R

Jim Ketron
03-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Robert I got the Oneway Talon chuck for my Jet Mini I know there expensive but money well spent IMO! I have all 3 sets of jaws for mine
This chuck uses a straight tennon (some chucks have a dovetail) It has performed Great and I would buy again
I now use it on the 3520 lathe for my bowls so you can also use it on a bigger lathe if you decide to go that route later.
I was in the same boat as you about a year ago and I took the advice to get a good chuck and not fool with the cheep ones and Im glad I did
Jim

Bob Winkler
03-12-2005, 1:25 PM
Hi Robert,

I got the Nova Midi chuck because it was on sale and relatively inexpensive. WRONG REASON. It's ok and not a bad chuck. BUT, I wished I had waited a bought a Oneway Talon. I think it's a better chuck, and easier to use. The MIDIs tommy bars can be a problem for my daughter.

Just my $.02

Bob

Ed Scolforo
03-12-2005, 1:36 PM
Robert: After doing some research, I bought the Oneway Talon for my Jet Mini. Haven't used it a whole lot but I'm very satisfied so far.

Ed

Harry Pye
03-12-2005, 3:02 PM
Robert,

I have a Talon on my Delta Midi. It is a great chuck and it is used regularly. It comes with the #2 jaws and I added the #1 jaws and the MiniJumbo (Cole) jaws. I could live without the Cole jaws but the other two seem indespensible. Costs a lot but it only hurts once.

Harry

Robert Cox
03-12-2005, 3:08 PM
I'm deTecting A Theme among aLl the gOod aNswers

Jim Becker
03-12-2005, 4:34 PM
Talon. I still use mine on my big Stubby, too! Great chuck and lots of jaw options. OneWay's jaws are about the best in the business, too.

Jerry Clark
03-12-2005, 8:30 PM
I also have a Oneway, but it is not a Talon-- Cleaper, but uses Tommy Bars! It is OK, but would buy a Talon next time. Like the one hand tightening tool.

Chris Damm
03-13-2005, 6:35 AM
I also have the Talon. It works very well. Haven't thrown any thing off yet!

Tom Hintz
03-13-2005, 9:10 AM
I also am a Talon fan and have a full review of it with photos and more on its features at the link below if that might help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/onwytlonrvu.html

David Fried
03-13-2005, 9:23 AM
Almost went the Nova but so many folks say such good things about OneWay that I went with Talon. It's nice. I'm only up to two sets of jaws.

RL Johnson
03-13-2005, 9:31 AM
Okay I will be different. I bought the Vicmarc and it has been a wonderful chuck. The new super Nova looks alot like the Vicmark. I would second the comment about buying a better quality chuck, you will not be sorry in the long run.

Robert Cox
03-13-2005, 11:33 AM
I look at the Talon and like what I see.

HOWEVER, there's always a but, isn't there?

However, how do I explain to my CPA wife the need for a $200+ accessory for a $240 lathe?

Does anyone have any good or bad experience with the Nova Midi?

(Truth be known I'd buy the $90 Grizzly 4 jaw if it was available.)

Please save me from myself.

Jim Ketron
03-13-2005, 2:05 PM
Robert mine cost more than the lathe when I got mine(Jet Mini non VS), but like I said! I now use the Talon on my PM 3520 lathe I would spend the extra $

David LaRue
03-13-2005, 3:53 PM
I too have the Oneway Talon chuck for my Jet Mini. I got mine one sale during Rockler's customer discount days. :)

Dennis Taylor
03-13-2005, 6:02 PM
I have the Talon also with the 3 jaws, I used it on my Jet mini and a 1442, and it is great... try this site, you will have to call for price.... www.woodchuckers.com (http://www.woodchuckers.com) they are in Canada, and that is where I got my Talon, good service and cheaper when I got mine due to the price of the U.S. Dollar there.... mine was far cheaper than I could get anywhere else local....i.e. Woodcraft/Rockler/Hartville Tool..... I have used the midi, and it is a good 2nd chuck, seemed to work fine, but didn't have the hold of the Talon...it can stay with you from lathe to lathe, just change insert....money well spent..Dennis

Dale Thompson
03-13-2005, 9:12 PM
Hi Robert,

I got the Nova Midi chuck because it was on sale and relatively inexpensive. WRONG REASON. It's ok and not a bad chuck. BUT, I wished I had waited a bought a Oneway Talon. I think it's a better chuck, and easier to use. The MIDIs tommy bars can be a problem for my daughter.

Just my $.02

Bob

Bob,
Didn't the Nova Midi get recalled? I believe that I bought one for my Jet Mini-VS. Even if the "Tommy Bars" had been six feet long, it wouldn't hold any kind of face-turning stock such as hollowing out a small "scoop". I got my money back from Woodcraft-no questions asked. You may have a refund coming from your supply source. :) Check it out. :cool:

Dale T.

Bob Winkler
03-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks Dale,

I'll have to check it out.

Anthony Yakonick
03-14-2005, 12:09 AM
I've been known to use my Stronghold on my mini but use the Talon most of the time. Untill you get to the higher end of the vortex the lathe is the least expensive item, just ask the people who are at the other end of the vortex ;)

Tom Morton
03-14-2005, 6:51 AM
However, how do I explain to my CPA wife the need for a $200+ accessory for a $240 lathe?

1] It is a cost of doing business recoverable over time. Help me calculate the amortization, Please!
2] LOML is this chuck I bought depreciable?
or
How have you explained the other $1,000 of stuff you have bought so that you can turn??:)

I second the motion for the Vicmarc. What a chuck is supposed to do is hold. "Vicmarc does it best" This quote from a man that has Nova, Talon etc. etc. Also the back of the Vicmarc is sealed reducing maintanence. Oh, and get the larger diameter chuck.

Harry Pye
03-14-2005, 10:13 AM
One of the advantages to the Oneway chucks is the adapter. If you get another lathe, you can easily adapt the Talon to it. Explain that to your wife and she will probably see the logic. Actually she won't but she will pretend that you have convinced her! :)

Robert Cox
03-14-2005, 11:35 AM
The recall scares me. Any idea what it was about?

The Talon keeps calling me back. I sent an email to the canadian place asking for a quote. We'll see.

I have to go to Johns Hopkins on Thursday so a side trip to Woodcraft will happen anyway. And since I'm in the store.....

Dennis Taylor
03-14-2005, 7:57 PM
Rober, if the Canadian place was Woodchuckers, they seem to be a great bunch, and bunch I think is probably 2 guys, I have dealt with the same guy, I order mine and my extra jaws from them at Xmas, and got them cheaper than local...let me know what the cost was...Dennis

Dale Thompson
03-14-2005, 8:10 PM
The recall scares me. Any idea what it was about?

Robert,
Maybe recall was too strong of a word. :confused: I recall that I waited at least six months for mine. Woodcraft was very good at updating me on the status of my order. The manufacturer claimed that "production problems" were the cause of the delay. :confused:

After I finally got the chuck and realized that it wouldn't hold a 2" spigot for hollowing, I talked to a tech rep from Woodcraft. He was a bit vague on the history of the chuck but gave me an "instant" refund on my credit card.

Settle down, Robert! ;) The chuck is not dangerous! :eek: It just doesn't do what it is supposed to do, namely; hold wood! :(

Anyway, anyone who is weak-minded enough to become addicted to "turning" should know that a totally enclosed, bullet-proof suit of armor is a prerequisite to exposing themselves to this moronically insidious disease! :eek: ;) :)

Dale T.

Robert Cox
03-14-2005, 10:10 PM
About that armor.

I bounced a 6" bowl off my face shield the other day. Again.