PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Bowl #3

Kathy Marshall
12-31-2011, 5:08 AM
This is the biggest of the 3 at 11" x 1 3/4". The rim and walls are 1/8" - 3/16".
This one has alot of curl, but it's pretty fine so it doesn't jump out at you, so I decided to dye the whole piece to try and pop it. Can't decide if it was a mistake or not to dye the inside. I like the color, but I also like a natural interior. So far it just has a coat of sanding sealer to set the dye, it should look better with a finish on. I do like the form on these, but it might benefit from just a little tweaking. I'll try to remember to post a group shot when the finishes are done.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Richard Jones
12-31-2011, 5:43 AM
Kathy,

I am not a fan of the color on these, as I would prefer to let this pretty wood do the talking. That said, I do think that there is a place for color, but this wouldn't be the time for me. Maybe just a colored rim? Dunno, but it's good to experiment with these things.

I absolutely love the form on this "series" that you've done, especially the rim treatment. To me, they are positively first-rate pieces. The ogee is not the easiest to do. Without good form, all the color and grain is worthless, at least in my estimation.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

Rich

John Keeton
12-31-2011, 5:48 AM
Kathy, I think it looks great! I am pretty sure God created curly maple on the same day He created color - seems I saw that somewhere in Genesis?!?!;):D
A natural interior is nice, though, and I am sure it would look good with this combination. That curly maple is much better than the second one, and for my tastes, even better than the first. I like the tight curl.

Michelle Rich
12-31-2011, 7:23 AM
Stunning color! If you are selling, this will draw eyes & feet to your display. Striking!

Roger Chandler
12-31-2011, 9:26 AM
Beautiful bowl, Kathy...................I like your idea of a natural inside.........would make for an attention grabber for sure. I like your form on this series.........just enough ogee on the bottom to give it interest, and nice rim treatment as well.

Donny Lawson
12-31-2011, 9:37 AM
Kathy, that is a great piece. The dye brings out more of the curl in the wood. Great form also.

Jack Mincey
12-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Beautiful form and wood and color. I have never dyed any of my pieces being a lover of what mother nature does in her studio, but after seeing this and other piece on the creek that have been dyed, I am starting to take an interest in doing some dying of a few of pieces in the future. I would imagine with a gloss finish this piece will be even more stunning.
Jack

David E Keller
12-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Pretty piece, Kathy! I like the idea of leaving the rim or the interior natural, but I think it works nicely as is. As you said, the finish will really pop this piece!

Brian Effinger
12-31-2011, 2:06 PM
Very nice. :) I really like the form, and am a sucker for the color blue.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2011, 5:43 PM
Well I think it looks great so far! Put a finish on it and buff it out and you are going to be amazed at how nice it will look! I agree with Michelle - this bowl will grab everyone's attention! Please post a photo once you have it totally finished!

Bob Bergstrom
12-31-2011, 5:58 PM
Don't you just love colored bowls. That is a gorgeous blue. Super job turning and technique. Now let's talk about a little shading with an air brush and maybe some glitter and about 20 coats of clear lacquer. Only kidding, is a keeper just as it is.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2011, 9:36 PM
Really nice bowl Kathy. I do like the color but think it would have been better with the rim and inside natural.

Kathy Marshall
01-01-2012, 4:01 AM
Thanks everyone!
I'm a little happier with the color today after seeing it in the light of day, and I do like the form.

Dan Forman
01-01-2012, 4:57 AM
The form and wood are great, the color is growing on me, looks like the ocean from above.

Dan