PDA

View Full Version : SawStop product refresh cycle timing

Dave huber
12-31-2011, 1:37 AM
Is anyone familiar enough with SawStop product refresh cycle timing to know whether a refresh is likely or not in the next 3-6 months?
I’m getting ready to purchase one and would like to buy at the best time.
Thanks for your input.
Dave
-- Dave, Oak Park, IL

John Coloccia
12-31-2011, 7:15 AM
Is anyone familiar enough with SawStop product refresh cycle timing to know whether a refresh is likely or not in the next 3-6 months?
I’m getting ready to purchase one and would like to buy at the best time.
Thanks for your input.
Dave
-- Dave, Oak Park, IL

The only "refresh" I've ever seen is they recently redesigned the contractor saw so that the all three saws now take the same exact fence/rail system, if I remember correctly. Some time ago they added a dust collection blade guard to their product lineup, but that was an addition, not a refresh.

Van Huskey
12-31-2011, 1:09 PM
I would be very surprised to see any significant changes in the saw itself in the next few months there were no changes mentioned at AWF. If you look over the course of SS's existence they haven't changed their saws that much, there was one big internal change but most of the rest has been changing things like dust control, inserts etc. Did you know the original SS (ICS now) came with a walnut blade insert, probably the only bone head move I have seen them make in product.

Dave huber
01-09-2012, 5:40 AM
Thanks.
i have not seen anything to indicate that there will be anything major happening for a whole.
ive been looking around and don't see much info about anything major.

mreza Salav
01-09-2012, 7:12 AM
I would be very surprised to see any significant changes in the saw itself in the next few months there were no changes mentioned at AWF. If you look over the course of SS's existence they haven't changed their saws that much, there was one big internal change but most of the rest has been changing things like dust control, inserts etc. Did you know the original SS (ICS now) came with a walnut blade insert, probably the only bone head move I have seen them make in product.

Not quite correct. Some of the internals (electronics) have changed over the years. I have the original ICS versions with white cartridge blade. The new ones use a different circuit board to measure blade RPM and also a different electronics in cartridge blade (hence blue color to distinguish from old ones). I think even the switch box has changed. Nothing visible to the end-user though.

Van Huskey
01-09-2012, 1:47 PM
Not quite correct. Some of the internals (electronics) have changed over the years. I have the original ICS versions with white cartridge blade. The new ones use a different circuit board to measure blade RPM and also a different electronics in cartridge blade (hence blue color to distinguish from old ones). I think even the switch box has changed. Nothing visible to the end-user though.

I did forget that!

Mike Heidrick
01-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Did you know the original SS (ICS now) came with a walnut blade insert, probably the only bone head move I have seen them make in product.

That is the optional dado insert. It was also called the professional cabinet saw at the time.