PDA

View Full Version : Another Food Thread, Pumpkin Pie

Jim Koepke
12-31-2011, 12:40 AM
In the What's Your Favorite Part of Turkey Dinner thread, someone said pumpkin pie. Yummm!

Is it possible to have a turkey dinner without pumpkin pie? I like lemon pies, but Candy makes those and she is in California.

Back to pumpkin pies. One of the things I do when I make them is instead of condensed milk I like to substitute eggnog. One time many years ago, I not only grew the pumpkin we used, I also made the eggnog. Those were the best pumpkin pies of my memory.

This was the first year since then that it was on me to make the pies. I used one can of milk and the same amount of store bought eggnog. The pies turned out very good but didn't last long, burp.

Anyone else have tips on making pumpkin pies?

jtk

Shawn Pixley
12-31-2011, 1:42 AM
The secret for me is baking down your own pumpkin. The cans are a pale imitation of the real thing. That said ,I've eaten many a good pie from the canned pumkin, but your own pumpkin is the best.

Belinda Barfield
12-31-2011, 6:37 AM
I like pumpkin pie and have to go with Shawn on home grown pumpkin. Having said that, I much prefer sweet potato pie.

Joe Pelonio
12-31-2011, 10:04 AM
I agree with Belinda, we changed to sweet potato 20 years ago and have not had pumpkin since. I like to put a little bourbon in it, the alcohol burns off but leaves a nice flavor.

Paul McGaha
12-31-2011, 12:22 PM
With our family Pumpkin pie seem to be the favorite of the grand kids. Adults seem to more like apple pie and pecan pie so we do those also.

PHM

Mark Baldwin III
12-31-2011, 3:22 PM
I need to remember the eggnog for next year. I didn't make a pumpkin pie this year, I was making cakes for the holidays instead.

Van Huskey
12-31-2011, 3:26 PM
You can have the pumpkin, just leave the pecan pie alone, thats MINE! :D

ray hampton
12-31-2011, 3:56 PM
you can eat the pumpkin and pecan pie but leave the sweet potato for me

David Weaver
12-31-2011, 4:01 PM
I go lowbrow, nothing special, just the recipe right off the libby's can, exactly as it says to make it. I like it cold out of the fridge for the next few days after Christmas and Thanksgiving.

And cool whip (which is sort of another lowbrow thing - the ingredient list doesn't even look like real food, it's puffed byproducts).

steven c newman
12-31-2011, 4:06 PM
I'll take both, and leave a Mince Meat one behind.....

Now, about an eggnog? There was a drink for this time of year:

6oz Rum
6oz HOT water
1 large scoop of brown sugar
1 stick of butter

Mix well and serve in a Tankard. From the movie "Northwest Passage" (aka Panther Juice)