PDA

View Full Version : Mixing other woods with Oak for cabinets

Lewis Ehrhardt
12-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Just curious if anyone has mixed other woods with oak to build kitchen cabinets? Thinking of having the cabinets out of oak and doors out of another wood? Would appreicate any ideas. Thanks Lewis

Todd Burch
12-30-2011, 11:54 PM
If you are going to fill the grain and paint them, then it really doesn't matter. (Just all all the furniture manufacturers that sell painted furniture - read the label - "mixed hardwoods").

Ash is close, grain-wise.

What look are you going for?

Timothy Wolf
12-31-2011, 1:13 AM
If you are looking for a contrast I would go with a darker wood. I'm guessing you weren't looking to just save some money by using soemthing that looks similar. A Raised panel door made out of different wood might look nice but I really don't have enough experience on this matter and would worry about wood movement

Karl Card
01-01-2012, 12:53 PM
One of the great things about woodworking is that "you" are the artist. I like the looks of maple mixed with walnut, I love the contrast and both are equally good looking woods. I would suggest, if available, go to a local lumber place or cabinet store and take the samples they have and put one against the other and see which really captures your eye.

Scott T Smith
01-01-2012, 5:38 PM
Quartersawn white oak and black walnut rrequently makes a nice combination, IMO. Not sure how it would look on kitchen cabinets though.

Jeff Monson
01-01-2012, 8:24 PM
I dont think in a kitchen cabinet situation, there would be much that would go well with red oak. I'm a big fan of contrasting colored woods, but its very hard to get something to go well with high grain wood like oak (unless you are thinking quartersawn). Different color, very grained wood, with raised panels in a kitchen may get really "busy" in a bad way.