PDA

View Full Version : Help! Deadline approaching...Lee Valley Surface or Inset vise....

Clisby Clark
12-30-2011, 11:11 PM
I do most of my planing against a stop, but every now and then I find the need to hold stuff between dogs lengthwise on my bench. As I see it, the Surface vise is less expensive, has quick release, it more portable. On the cons, the Suface vise will need a long tapered piece attached to the head as a workaround for planing thin stock. The inset vise has lower dogs, but no quick release and is not portable. My questions are: Has anyone used both and have a preference? Has anyone bought one and wished they'd bought the other? Thanks

Mark Baldwin III
12-31-2011, 6:41 AM
I have the inset vise. When I got it, my choice was the same as you're considering. The surface vise seems nice because you can move it around, but it also looks like it could be cumbersome in use. The dog of the inset vise sits lower than the surface vise, but the inset vise invites wood shavings inside where they are likely to hang out and get in the way (requiring you to clean it out from time to time). They each have their ups and downs.
I use my inset vise for most plane work. If I did it all over again, I'd still get the inset vise, but I'd throw a bench blade or two on the order with it (because those look handy, haven't gotten one yet).

Bill Haumann
12-31-2011, 9:03 AM
I keep coming back and looking at the inset vise. I'm considering it instead of retrofitting a wagon vise. I assume the travel is slower than a wagon vise, which can be minimized with doghole spacing, and of course you can clamp vertically through the bench top. Other than those, have you experienced any downsides?

Mark Baldwin III
12-31-2011, 10:02 AM
I keep coming back and looking at the inset vise. I'm considering it instead of retrofitting a wagon vise. I assume the travel is slower than a wagon vise, which can be minimized with doghole spacing, and of course you can clamp vertically through the bench top. Other than those, have you experienced any downsides?

In a perfect world, I would have a tail vise or a wagon vise. The inset is very good for me, though. I definitely don't regret getting it. The only real down side is that dust and shavings like to collect in it. They especially like to collect in the holes where the dog engages, and you have to clear them out. Other than that, if it fits the type of work you're doing it will be good. There's one or two improvements I'm thinking about making to it, and once I work them out, I'll probably show it here.