PDA

View Full Version : Finish on tool handles ???

Joe Watson
12-30-2011, 8:25 PM
Gonna be making some tool handles; files and lathe tools (and a shifter knob for a truck).
Being i have alot of dried walnut planks - 1.5 thick, that will probably be the choice.
What would be a good finish that will hold up for a while - low maintenance is important ?

Was planing on water based poly for hardwood floors (have a good amount of that here) ???

Thanks for any guidance.

_

David E Keller
12-30-2011, 8:30 PM
I don't care for slick wooden handles, so I generally use oil and beeswax. The truck knob is a different story... I'd probably use CA for the shifter knob followed by a coat of Ren wax. The poly would be OK for either, but it just wouldn't be my first choice.

Ryan Baker
12-30-2011, 8:39 PM
Another vote for oil (danish or walnut), followed by a bit of Ren wax. I wouldn't put poly on any handle or other item that gets handled a lot because of the plasticy feel, though it would be durable enough. For the shift knob, I'd use lots of coats of lacquer, buffed to a perfect gloss.

Dan Forman
12-30-2011, 8:43 PM
I think I've always used a couple coats of wiping varnish or wipe on poly, just enough to seal the wood, but not build a slick finish.

Dan

Jamie Donaldson
12-30-2011, 10:08 PM
10-4 on the wiping poly for a durable yet non-slip finish.

Greg Just
12-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Danish oil or many time nothing. The natural oils from you hands will add a nice finish.

Scott Hackler
12-31-2011, 12:17 AM
I have only ever used BLO, applied on the lathe at high speed.

Joe Watson
12-31-2011, 3:00 AM
cool, thanks every one... have some 1/4 square (http://www.wttool.com/index/page/category/category_id/15882/?ProductTypeAttribute_DELIMITER_custom_type=5%+cob alt&search=true) stock coming in wednesday and plan on making a tool holder (with handle) to rough out HF's.
Gonna make a couple handle blanks over the weekend, being it will be mainly from walnut, i want to put something on it... stained black/purple hands suck :)
Looks like Walnut Oil (have a good amount of that here) then a light coat of poly.
I dont really care what the handles look like, i just want them to last and not have to deal with my hands staining or re-finishing them any time soon.

- Thanks for the CA tip Dave, will definitely keep it in mind - might take Ryan's advice and go with lacquer just because theres less of a chance for me to mess it up, never tried a CA finish before.

- Scott, when you say "high speed", whats that (i run CNC lathes at work, when someone tells me that have it cranking and then they follow with 17 hundred (machine metal) i giggle and tell them to jack it up to 25 hundred) - well all precieve things different (and different comfort levels).
Also, why fast (as opposed to slow or hand rubbing) - just wondering as it might help out in other areas.

Thanks again all...

_

John Keeton
12-31-2011, 6:25 AM
Joe, you have received some good responses, but I will add one more option. I sand to 320 and use BLO and then 2-3 coats of shellac from the can, applied with the same piece of paper towel that has BLO on it. That provides some lubrication when I "burn in" or polish the shellac - at high speed. To me, high speed is max at whichever belt I am on at the time with my 1642 - usually the low speed setting. What you want is heat generated by the speed. I will finish it off with buffing with steel wool on the lathe - slower speed! Unless you want the steel wool to wrap your hand around the turning!

Seems to wear well, and has plenty of "grab" for a tool handle. Most importantly, it is quick - all of about 5-10 minutes start to finish.

Alan Zenreich
12-31-2011, 6:35 AM
I prefer several coats of Tru-Oil. It's used for gunstocks and is rather durable.

Paul Heely
12-31-2011, 9:17 AM
On some gouge handles I made I used bee's wax, frictioned in. On the big Ellsworth style hollowing tools I made, I just sanded to 150 and called it done. On those I did turn the hand grip part off center so it is sort of oval shaped and is very easy to grip.

Rich Aldrich
12-31-2011, 9:18 AM
I put nothing on my wood tool handles - just bare wood.

Robert Henrickson
12-31-2011, 9:41 AM
A couple coats of wipe-on-poly.

Jack Mincey
12-31-2011, 9:59 AM
I used oil on most of the tool handles, but the last three or four I used two coats of CA and it works great. You can steel wool it after and leave it or even buff it to a shine.
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2011, 9:50 PM
I friction BLO and then a couple of coats of shellac.

Scott Hackler
12-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Joe, my high speed is about 2100 rpm. That's the speed I use on most spindles. And as John said, I use the friction to heat cure the BLO.