PDA

View Full Version : Winged Apple Bowl

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-30-2011, 3:24 PM
I tried this, and was trying to copy another bowl on here - Jason Silva's Walnut NE (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?178327-Natural-edge-walnut-form&p=1836644&highlight=#post1836644)

Nonetheless, even though it looks nothing Like Jason's piece, thanks for the inspiration!

I has a little (LOT OF) trouble keeping the bark on, I reckon it was felled at the wrong time of year, but some stayed on, so I left it on there, where it wanted to be. Sanded to 320 grit on the outside / inside profiles, and on the cambrium layer intersection, no wax or polishes. I got a lot of tearout on the outside end grain - I'm assuming it had started to decompose a little?

I left the foot as naturally as could be, and was hoping for more of a shape to it, but ended up with something smaller, and had to 'lift' the bowl base a little too. There was an axe mark on the outside from a llimb that just wouldn't be turned away without required major surgery...
Anyway, here are the pictures, top and bottom, two views of each:-

C&C welcome, and (critiques) expected! Thanks, anything you can think of to improve the 'turned' finish will be gratefully received.

Jason Silva
12-30-2011, 4:03 PM
Thanks for the nod...that piece looks like it could saw your fingers off if you were not careful. Next time you do a natural edge piece, turn the outside to the desired shape and then give the bark a generous coating of CA glue where the bark meets the wood. Walk away for a bit and let it dry and then return and give it a sanding. That helps me keep my bark on the edges. Falling the wood in the winter helps also but we all can be that lucky. Nice go at it Primvs!

charlie knighton
12-30-2011, 4:44 PM
interesting, nice to expand your work

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-30-2011, 5:53 PM
Thanks for the advice Jason, will try next time - and yes, if we were all lucky with felling times on trees - we'd all be making stuff as good as yours!
Charlie - this is one I made in July / August - about 3" diameter / 4" long (ish)...

So - I think that one was cut in good time! Silver Birch branch - two in that series, one nests in the other (I think this is the larger one).

Joe Watson
12-31-2011, 3:37 AM
Dont know... alittle far out of my range and imagination... the forth image kind of makes me think of a white marble sink from prehistoric times :)

But this one (your second post)...
217706 Is intense... it looks like a natural heart with the grain... i think thats great - dont know if it was your intent, but it looks great... i really dig it alot.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-31-2011, 8:45 AM
Thanks Joe! It was positioned to rotate end-over-end, between centres, turn the ends roundish, and then remove the core - this was before I got a 4 jaw chuck - and I don't think that would hold it well enough to turn, so I'd do it between centres again if you'd like one? Or you could probably make a better on yourself!

David E Keller
12-31-2011, 10:48 AM
I've looked at these photos a couple of times now, Primvs, and I have a hard time conceptualizing what this piece would feel/look like in person... It's definitely a departure from the norm. I guess I feel like it's a bit unfinished which may have been the look you sought. The combination of smooth curves and sharp angles is definitely thought provoking. I think I'd be interested in your self-critique of this one.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi David,
Yes, this one was a bit of a "what happens if..." moment! It was made in the first few weeks of owning a lathe - at which point I was still learning - remember, I had never turned anything wooden before July 2011. Tools were old, and badly shaped, improving as I used them. Learned a lot from books, and Cap'n Eddie via youtube. Now, further on in my turning hobby, it feels rough, and as you say "unfinished" in the way the wood grain has been left, and the tools marks. I didn't own anything over 320 grit at that point, and no wax / polish either - so left in the raw grain state. I feel it has a reminder of Moses baskets that we get here - do you have them in the States? They may be under a different name, I don't know. I oiled a couple later on, but I'm not sure that either Boiled Linseed Oil, or Tung Oil have improved the look, just changed the colours a bit.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2011, 9:56 PM
Interesting piece Primvs.