PDA

View Full Version : Record 405 Combination Plane?

Michael Ray Smith
12-30-2011, 3:19 PM
I'm considering buying a Record 405. Anyone have experience with it?

Michael Ray Smith
12-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Never mind. Decided to buy it. If you think I made a mistake, don't tell me.

Jim Koepke
12-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Congratulations, it is basically a Stanley 45 made by Record. I think Clifton was the last maker to have the rights to the design. I saw one at Woodcraft many years ago. It was marked down and on clearance at about $600 if my memory is working.

The Record blades might be in metric sizes. I have a set of the Record plow blades a friend gave me and they are metric. The pin notch was a little smaller than on the Stanley 45. A few swipes with a file fixed that right up. Going the other way would be no problem.

jtk

Jim Belair
12-31-2011, 7:23 AM
You don't say whether you're buying a new one or vintage but if you need a manual for your 405 go to the source for all things combo, ALF. http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/combinationplanes.html Lots of help there with set up, etc.

Jim B

Michael Ray Smith
12-31-2011, 12:58 PM
It's a vintage plane, but it has a manual with it.

Michael Ray Smith
12-31-2011, 1:00 PM
Wish I'd thought about the possibility of metric cutters. It's a vintage plane, so they're probably imperial. Oh, well, I guess I'll see when it gets here.

Jim Koepke
12-31-2011, 1:59 PM
Wish I'd thought about the possibility of metric cutters.

One time while enjoying a beer with an old mechanic friend, he explained that if one were to buy a metric set of tools, there are only 4 imperial sizes you have to purchase to have a complete set to work on both.

For those who care, the sizes would be; 1/4, 3/8, 11/16, 1". Some metric sets have a 6.5 mm which works for the 1/4"

If you buy inch there are as many as 10 metric sizes you need to buy for a complete set of both. Those sizes are 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 15 (19/32 is uncommon, but I have found them in sets of inch tools of people who refuse to buy metric.), 17, 18, 20, 21.

Yes, some of those sizes are not commonly used, but when you find them, you will wish you had them or a good Crescent wrench.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
09-20-2013, 7:37 AM
Yeah I know this is an old thread but it's Friday.

I was installing an INCRA fence for my table saw and the bolts and nuts were Imperial. Damned if my 14mm spanner was a ball's hair short of just fitting. I needed the 9/16th.

Jim Koepke
09-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah I know this is an old thread but it's Friday.

I was installing an INCRA fence for my table saw and the bolts and nuts were Imperial. Damned if my 14mm spanner was a ball's hair short of just fitting. I needed the 9/16th.

Or a quick swipe with a fine file to 3 flats on each nut will also sometimes do the trick.

jtk

Bill Houghton
09-20-2013, 10:59 PM
One time while enjoying a beer with an old mechanic friend, he explained that if one were to buy a metric set of tools, there are only 4 imperial sizes you have to purchase to have a complete set to work on both.

For those who care, the sizes would be; 1/4, 3/8, 11/16, 1". Some metric sets have a 6.5 mm which works for the 1/4"

If you buy inch there are as many as 10 metric sizes you need to buy for a complete set of both. Those sizes are 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 15 (19/32 is uncommon, but I have found them in sets of inch tools of people who refuse to buy metric.), 17, 18, 20, 21.

Yes, some of those sizes are not commonly used, but when you find them, you will wish you had them or a good Crescent wrench.

jtk

Actually, 17 mm will work for 11/16, but I never found a good match for 1/2" in metric. And you would have to have a pretty comprehensive metric set to sub for 5/8", which is close to (can't recall) 15 or 16 mm. A lot of the metric sizes are "close but not quite" fits; having metric and [what we used to call in my wrenching days SAE but which on woodworking fora are now called] Imperial sizes is way, way better.

Jim Koepke
09-21-2013, 1:53 AM
Actually, 17 mm will work for 11/16, but I never found a good match for 1/2" in metric. And you would have to have a pretty comprehensive metric set to sub for 5/8", which is close to (can't recall) 15 or 16 mm. A lot of the metric sizes are "close but not quite" fits; having metric and [what we used to call in my wrenching days SAE but which on woodworking fora are now called] Imperial sizes is way, way better.

And I should have known about the 11/16. My bandsaw's table nut is 11/16". I always thought it was metric. Usually a 5/8" will work for me on a 16mm. Those are an interesting progression. 5/64, 5/32, 5/16, 5/8, and 1-1/4" have metric equivalents of 2, 4, 8, 16 & 32mm. At least in my limited experience.

I've used a 13mm wrench on 1/2" bolt/nut. A 1/2" wrench is usually tight on a 13mm bolt/nut.

It has been so long since doing much wrench work these things get dropped down on the list of things needing knowing.

jtk