PDA

View Full Version : Partridge in a Pear Tree (AKA "Roger")

David DeCristoforo
12-30-2011, 2:35 PM
Well, I finally got this finished. It's from the Bradford pear wood Roger Chandler sent me.
I had posted earlier about the issues I had with the wood and the cracks that mysteriously appeared before my eyes as I cut into the wood. There cracks were no where to be seen on the surface of the wood. Even the freshly cut surface that resulted from my splitting the block in half on the bandsaw did not reveal any cracks. The wood appeared to be completely sound. Very strange.

Right now I have a "love/hate relationship" with this pear wood. I love the way it feels and looks. The pear wood turns like a dream. It's silky smooth, almost soft to the touch and the color is so sweet. But the cracking? Not happy with that! After I had turned this I soaked it in a 50/50 glue/water bath for 24 hours and then let it dry out for two more days. That did seem to seal up the cracks pretty well but they are still visible. 4 3/4" at the rim X 17" tall. Everything was "beefed up" a bit in an attempt to offset the "rotund" nature of the form.

So here it is, cracks and all. I made sure there were matching cracks in the embellishment and the base. Now I am looking, with some trepidation, at the other half of that pear wood. I might think about that piece of spalted box elder...

Doug W Swanson
12-30-2011, 2:51 PM
Another fine piece, David. I really like the NE on this one...

John Keeton
12-30-2011, 2:59 PM
Another sweet one, David!! With the bold NE on this one, my first thought was "Peanut" from Jeff Dunham's act - with the top knot of hair. If the Partridge were only purple!!

As always, you did a great job with this rendition, and I don't think the cracks take away from it. I will say, however, that you have me wondering about the chunks of Bradford Pear I have in the barn!?!? Maybe if I leave them there for a few more years.....

Question, do you turn the body of the form, and the trumpet as separate pieces?

Glad to see you back from your trip and in full swing!

Robert Henrickson
12-30-2011, 4:20 PM
I have huge quantities of Bradford pear on hand -- the ice storm 2-3 years ago destroyed the one in my front yard so I had to have it taken down. The treecutter was happy not to have to haul off much (only what could be chipped). I've turned a bunch, both when it was fresh (frozen) and in the time since. So far I haven't had any crack that I turned. Have to trim off the ends, which have checked, but it doesn't run far into the pieces. The biggest problem I've had is with the pieces I left out in the weather -- not so much cracking, but fair number of worms. Since I decided it 'added character' I turned it. Made a bunch of bells, which I christened 'holey bells'. The branch wood is better behaved than trunk wood in terms of cracking, though more inclined to worms. Pieces kept in the closed garage are bug-free.

Carl Civitella
12-30-2011, 4:30 PM
Half of my large BP tree came down in our early snow storm, half is still up, will take down later in the year. Have it stacked outside, no room in garage. Lots of wood, and more to come.. Carl

Roger Chandler
12-30-2011, 4:42 PM
That is a beauty, David..............I think you got the most from that particular piece you cut off! Interesting to me the way you oriented the piece to make a natural edge from the bark. Knowing the shape and length of that piece of pear, I think you have utilized it very well.

The form is certainly outstanding ............may I ask what wood you used for the pedestal stem? I think the foot and the transition at the top and bottom are superb.........I would think getting those two transitions would be crucial to the overall success of the piece.

The trumpet flare has a great curve...........the NE does extend out past the width of the form a bit.........that is an interesting feature.........I guess the size of the blank determines that one a bit. I think you have done a super job with a difficult situation with this pear..............

One question..........the partridge in a pear tree "aka Roger" ............is that part of the official title of this one? If so, I am most honored! As a matter of fact, I am just glad to have a little part in one of these forms you do.......I provided part of the canvas............you are the artist..........thanks for letting me enjoy this one .........just a bit more than the others you have done! :)

Dan Forman
12-30-2011, 6:16 PM
The natural edge works very well with this one, love the lines of the bark, reminds me of a contour map. I can see where the cracking would be frustrating, but sometimes you just have to go along with mother natures whims. It doesn't appear that you any chance of prevent it. The pedestal lives up to our high expectations, and the detail in the underside of the base, an are many will never see, tells a lot about the turner.

Dan

Tim Rinehart
12-30-2011, 7:08 PM
Sweet, as always! Happy new year to you DD!

Brian Effinger
12-30-2011, 7:12 PM
Beautiful form DD. :) The natural edge is great, as is the captured ball in the pedistal.
I wouldn't sweat the cracks, though. It makes the piece look "aged", like a long lost artifact.

BILL DONAHUE
12-30-2011, 7:56 PM
That's really gorgeous in many respects. Have you tried a mixture of concentrated dishwashing detergent and water as described on Ron Kent's website. I tried it recently on norfolk island pine and honey locust and it works very well. It not only prevents checking, it makes the turning go a lot smoother especially on very dry wood and (wait, there's more!) it makes your hands soft and smell good.

David DeCristoforo
12-30-2011, 8:13 PM
"... do you turn the body of the form, and the trumpet as separate pieces?"

The first ones were all one piece but they had much bigger openings! These pieces with the tall narrow bells tunnel down to 5/8" I.D. No way I have figured to reach past the bottom opening to hollow the bulb portion. So I part the bell off, hollow the bulb, turn a very small recess at the top and glue the bell back in place. Mostly, I try to match up the grain but on "Alistair" I matched the bell and bulb "sapwood to sapwood". No way to get that effect out of a one piece turning!. I have been thinking about making a tool that could be articulated after it is inserted past the narrow area where the two pieces join but so far, just thinking.

"...aka Roger" ............is that part of the official title of this one?"

Yes.

"...dishwashing detergent and water...prevents checking..."

I will have to look into that. I really like this wood but Mother Nature or no Mother Nature, the cracking bugs the crap out of me.

David E Keller
12-30-2011, 8:43 PM
Neat piece, David! I'm sure the cracks are frustrating, but I don't mind them so much. The little flat spot on the bark detracts a bit for me, but that's a pretty tiny nit to pick. Love the detailing, the color, and the finish!

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2011, 9:50 PM
Really nice piece DD. Great wood, detail and the finish looks really good.

David DeCristoforo
12-30-2011, 9:53 PM
"The little flat spot on the bark detracts a bit for me..."

That's from the flat side of the tree...dude!?!? I thought you had to be smart to be a doctor...

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Beautiful work David. Cracks can be upsetting but the wood does what it has to. Sure is pretty though!

Alan Trout
12-30-2011, 11:49 PM
David,

Very nice piece and it looks like you did really well with the cracking. Very well done.

Alan

Scott Hackler
12-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Nice piece. I really like the NE on this one and the flair at the top of the form seems a bit over exaggerated...which really works with the NE. Only nit pick would be a preference to having the bead match the amphora shape a bit more...but that it very minor. The cracks, while unfortunate, aren't a deal breaker for me.

Mark Hubl
12-31-2011, 2:36 AM
David,

Another nice piece. I tend to favor these pieces with the natural edge. Each of the pieces is so unique in it's own right, but an improvement on the last. Welcome to the world of fruit wood. Cracky it is.

Joe Watson
12-31-2011, 3:10 AM
I really really like checking out your work, its always (at least what ive seen) out-standing from head to toe, but... the size of your images frustrates me.

Kathy Marshall
12-31-2011, 3:23 AM
Another beauty David! You've really got this form nailed down, bet you could turn one in your sleep.

David E Keller
12-31-2011, 10:54 AM
... I thought you had to be smart to be a doctor...

It's a common misperception...

David DeCristoforo
12-31-2011, 8:03 PM
"It's a common misperception..."

I labor, I'm afraid, under many of those...

HNY
DD

Norm Zax
01-01-2012, 5:02 AM
Outcome is delicious to the eye. Hope the cracks continue to behave in the next few weeks, OR when object is transported to a space of less humidity.
BTW, how are the lines created on the bottom?

Philip Duffy
01-01-2012, 6:53 AM
David, I have turned a ton of pear and have never experienced what you have posted. But, I always have turner green pear and I have to ask; was your pear kiln dried? Might have been that process that caused the cracks. Phil

David DeCristoforo
01-01-2012, 10:05 AM
"...was your pear kiln dried?"

I don't think so. Roger didn't mention anything about having a kiln. The thing is, it's not like the wood just cracked sitting there on the bench or on the lathe after the wood was exposed. These cracks seemed to trail off the back of the gouge as wood was removed. I cut the blank in half and did not get this piece onto the lathe for almost two days. There were no cracks evident on the freshly cut surfaces which is what I would expect if moisture imbalance were the culprit. I did check the piece with a MM and it read 12% on the outside. The freshly cut faces read 15%. So there was some difference but it would not seem like enough to cause the wood to crack. And even if it was, why did the cracks not appear after the wood was sawn? This wood is very even in figure so it does not seem like there would be a lot of stress either. I am really quite puzzled by this. I still have the other half so I have an opportunity to experiment with that. So far, there are no cracks showing on any of the faces...

Hayes Rutherford
01-01-2012, 11:05 AM
David, it would suggest the odd cracking was due to stress of some sort. So many variables come into play when you consider a tree's growing history, orientation of limbs, pruning, storm damage, etc. Fruit trees are notorious for cracking, and having cracks already. Woodturners thrive on wood grown in every imaginable setting, while there is almost no commercial market for trees grown openly in residential yards and along streets etc. Not that you can't get awesome wood, but so much of it comes off the saw crooked, cracked and warped, that large automated mills don't mess with it, Then again, if it was delivered by someone like our local UPS driver, it was probably his fault that it cracked.

Anyway, another nice piece of work in your recognizable style. I like the tones and shape and don't notice the cracks.

Roger Chandler
01-01-2012, 2:04 PM
This Bradford pear came from our neighbors yard............it was cut in half to take the pith out and sealed.........about 24 months ago and has been inside my shop ever since........air drying. I thought natural stress in the wood may have been the culprit as well.........however, this was straight grained wood.

I just think fruit woods are prone to cracking and sanding can at times cause one to crack.........David's description of it trailing off the back of the gouge suggests natural stress, but this is one I cannot fully understand........pear usually turns very nicely, and then cracks ........this one, I am at a loss to explain.

David, you did a great job working with this........I sure hope the other half works better for you.........I am looking forward to the cherry burl!