PDA

View Full Version : My latest Glaser investment/gloat/review

Bill Wyko
12-30-2011, 1:46 PM
I had spoke to Paulo the other day and said I was ready for another tool. I asked which tool he would recommend. He said with out a doubt to try his 1"x3/8" 10V scraper. I trust his opinion completely so that's what I ordered. Upon receiving it I immediately came to the conclusion that this has got to be the finest scraper on the planet. The quality and design technology along with the weighted handle and attachment method really show just how much effort was put into the design of this amazing tool. I really have to say, it's nice to have a company that makes their tools 100% in the USA, go to so much effort and set the bar so high for themselves. Many would say their tools are over priced. Lets define the term "Over priced" Over priced is when you plainly don't "Get your money's worth" Let me put that to rest once and for all, I definitely got much more than my money's worth. I truly couldn't tell you anything that could be done different or even changed in the slightest to make this tool any better than it is. When you think about it, we spend tons of money on our lathes, lumber, shops and everything around us to do what we do. Yet many will make sacrifices when it comes to the one thing that is used to bring it all together....The turning tools!!!! How many times have we all blown a project to pieces because of a catch that happened because of a light weight tool? I know I still have pieces that I haven't found years later. This needs to be a factor considered as part of your expense when purchasing tools. I'm not saying you should rush out and buy a dozen of these. But in my opinion, saving to buy a couple that you know are going to be your go to tools should be at the top of your list. I promise you, you won't be sorry.

A few more details about this animal, it weighs in at a whopping 3pounds, 11 ounces. It's right at 28 inches long. The balance feels perfect in my hands too. My first chance to really put it to use will be this weekend. What will work out nice is that I'm going to be turning another vessel almost exactly like the one I just did from beginning to end with my 10V bowl gouge. This will give me the opportunity to see how it changes my method and how useful the tool is. Needless to say, I can't wait. Anyway, I've babbled on enough. Sorry I can't get the whole thing in one picture so I had to do a few to show the detail. So at this point, please enjoy my friends.

I'll be back with more once I put it to use.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23971405/400302449.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23971405/400302442.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23971405/400302451.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23971405/400302455.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23971405/400302452.jpg

Jamie Donaldson
12-30-2011, 2:33 PM
The first thing I suggest that you do is round over the L bottom corner so that you can use the scraper as a shearing tool, rather than just scraping. The sharp edge will nick a toolrest, even a Robust, and the rounded edge will slide along the rest more smoooooothly with the tool angled at about 45 degrees, pull cut from center out.

Bill Wyko
12-30-2011, 2:38 PM
Thanks for the input Jamie, I hadn't considered that. Definitely a good idea. Like all new tools I get, I'll start with a good sharpening. ( I like sharpening, it's fun)

Jim Burr
12-30-2011, 2:51 PM
Just checked the price:eek:...maybe after I sell my house and both kids :rolleyes:

Doug W Swanson
12-30-2011, 2:56 PM
Nice tool...
You must have part ownership in Glaser!

John Keeton
12-30-2011, 3:03 PM
Nice tool...
You must have part ownership in Glaser!After one buys a dozen tools, it gives you eligibility for the board of directors!!:D At last count, Bill is getting close!

I like the profile on this one, Bill, but Jamie's suggestion is a good one. I have poor luck with scrapers - they just do not seem to be my friends. I do, however, get along much better with them than I do with my skew!!

Bill Wyko
12-30-2011, 3:30 PM
Hey Jim, how much for the house? Mine is kind of small, time for an upgrade. So no one thinks I rich or something, I sold the vessel I turned back in 2006 named Monsoon. That has allowed me to spoil myself lately. Because I don't turn for a living, when I sell my work it goes to my "Bill Wyko gets new tools to turn more stuff to buy more tools slush fund" I can't help it, I'm addicted to the feeling I get when I'm using top notch tools. It's that way with my Festools and so many other tools I use. Where some have an addiction to alcohol, cigarettes, fine food or what ever, mine is an addiction to working with quality tools. (and good BBQ)
As far as part ownership in Glaser goes, if I could I would want to be a part of it. Wouldn't you? A company that makes a product 100% in America. That's exactly what we need to be a part of in these times. At some point, I do want to buy some other brands of tools to see the difference. I may find something I like better. At this point though, that hasn't happened.
I really want everyone to understand, I do these reviews because I want to share my experience with my fellow woodworkers and help them expand their abilities. I also do reviews on cigars as well as car audio equipment. As of lately I decided to stop reviewing car audio on the car audio forums though. The people on the car audio forums have become so disrespectful and down right nasty that I decided that they can go screw themselves. The car audio world isn't what it use to be. That's why I decided they don't deserve to share in my knowledge. Sound quality and creativity has been replaced with attitude and ego. You'll never see me disrespect my fellow woodworkers and it's rare, if ever, that they disrespect me. It's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much, I'm surrounded by quality people like you guys. So any advice anyone has will always be respectfully considered i.e. Jamie's post, a very good idea. So please feel free to reply any way you see fit. I know your opinions are from your knowledge and skills so thanks in advance.

Bill Wyko
12-30-2011, 3:32 PM
After one buys a dozen tools, it gives you eligibility for the board of directors!!:D At last count, Bill is getting close!I like the profile on this one, Bill, but Jamie's suggestion is a good one. I have poor luck with scrapers - they just do not seem to be my friends. I do, however, get along much better with them than I do with my skew!!Actually John, if you consider the Mini's, the 10V, the 15V and the scraper, I just hit a dozen. Still not on the board of directors though.:D

Maybe when I get the screw chuck. When it comes to the skew, that's the fuse on the bomb. Not a question of if it's going to destroy a piece, a question of when. Usually the second it touches the wood.:D

Jamie Donaldson
12-30-2011, 4:58 PM
Bill- just remember this saying, that "a man with no vices is like a ship with no freight to throw overboard." (Mark Twain) I used to remind my wife that acquiring new tools was better than wasting time and money at a pub, and she always knew where I was!

Harvey Ghesser
12-30-2011, 5:20 PM
Bill, Thanks for reviewing the Glaser scraper. I too have one and am delighted with it.

I love my Glaser tools. There is a reason why they cost more.

Bill Wyko
12-30-2011, 6:32 PM
From these guys I know they're kidding around, for someone to have malicious intent would reflect poorly on them, not me. Since you actually use them, you know exactly what the experience is. It's kind of like getting your first Ferrari LMAO I can't wait to put this one to the test. (Not the Ferrari, the tools 8-)

Brian Effinger
12-30-2011, 7:17 PM
That's a sweet looking tool.
I can't wait to see your review after a little play time. :)

David DeCristoforo
12-30-2011, 8:03 PM
I ended up with two Glaser scrapers a 3/4" and a 1 1/8". Jamie's suggestion to ease the corner is a good one. That is the second thing I did with mine right after sharpening them! I also have a couple of the old "Turnmaster" scrapers that JG made in the 1980's. These new ones blow them away. Way thicker steel and much better edge holding. They are quite heavy but the weight really helps keep any vibration down. I think we are all aware of the cost of Glaser tools. All I can say about that is if you think they are too expensive, don't buy them. I could never have afforded all of the Glaser tools I have. I got most of mine from the B&B win. But I sure am happy to have them!

Joe Landon
01-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Great looking tool Bill. I am confident you will enjoy using this tool. I know I love mine.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't have a scraper, yet, but I can assure you I will. I own a few of the Glaser tools and love them. My 5/8" bowl gouge is the most used tool in my collection followed closely by the 1/2" bowl gouge. I also bought a 3/8" spindle gouge that has become my "go to" tool for removing tenons and finishing bowl bottoms. I also have a Crown PM spindle gouge but sharpen it differently and use it for small spindle work. I recently acquired the Glaser bottoming bowl gouge but must admit I have not yet used it. I'm stuck finishing a table that has been on the go too long and my New Years resolution is to finish it before returning to the lathe. I own several other popular bowl tools and they all work well but the thing that keeps me grabbing for the Glasers is the comfort of the handles and and balance of the tool. Yes, they are expensive but to me, given the length of time I expect to own and use them, Good Lord willing, the cost per year is not great and the enjoyment of using them is worth the price.
faust

Anthony Cayll
01-02-2012, 1:45 PM
I agree with people freaking out over prices of Glaser tools. The quality and comfort of Glaser tools makes them worth every penny. I use a 3/8"and 1/2" bowl gouges and LOVE them. My next purchase will be the 5/8" bowl gouge.

Bill Wyko
01-02-2012, 1:45 PM
Well, I put it to use last night. What I noticed right away is that it takes a lot less effort to peel off ribbons of wood than any other scraper I've used. The cut is extremely controllable. If I pushed too hard, the back of the handle starts to push up in my hand instead of an abrupt catch. That allows me to back off a little before doing damage to the piece of wood. The feel of the cut is incredible, it reminded me of the time I got to use a Brese hand plane at a woodworking symposium. A silky smooth slice like cutting leather with sharp shears.
Something that did surprise me, I can do very fine cuts making very tiny ribbons off of the cutting edge. The surface of the wood itself is so smooth you would think I had used a Skew (The correct way) If it were a square edge scraper, almost no sanding would be necessary. Like the rest of my Glaser tools, the handles fluting rolls into my hand as though it had been molded to it just for me. Because the handle itself is almost 18 Inches long, there's a lot of room to move your hand back and forth to adjust to your liking. I hadn't really thought much about how the thickness would affect how the tool performs. But once I used it, I found it to be a major part of the control, dampening and the overall feel of the cut. I haven't used it on an angle yet so I haven't taken the edge off the corner. I think it's good that it's not done from the factory though. It's a modification that can be left up to the consumer. Most likely I will at some time though. My final conclusion is that every aspect of this tool is very well thought out and its individual components come together very harmoniously to create a surgical instrument designed for wood turning at its finest. We all know about the price, but would you want a surgeon operating on you with a butter knife?.....Me either.:eek: I can promise you, this tool is money very well spent, I love it.
Now my other problem, It's so easy to do an entire turning with one or two Glaser tools, my other tools are going to feel neglected. :D (Maybe I can rent them to my BIL) I traded my Jet Mini to him. He's about to jump into the Vortex soon. :eek:

The next tool I'll be reviewing is the Oneway Vacuum chuck. One big, beefy chunk of aluminum. I got one a few weeks back but haven't had a chance to use it.

Anyway, I hpope you enjoy my reviews, have a great day.

For those of you that haven't heard of Brese hand planes, here's a link. http://www.breseplane.com/

Fred Belknap
01-02-2012, 4:48 PM
Bill I like your tool reviews. How else will I know what to lust after:D

James Hamilton
01-02-2012, 5:01 PM
I tried using a cabinet scraper on the lathe once. I sure miss my fingers...