PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Favorite Part of Turkey Dinners?

Jim Koepke
12-30-2011, 1:29 PM
Candy had to travel to her folks before Thanksgiving. The turkey we had didn't get cooked. So, since she is having to stay there for a while I cooked it up a few days early for Christmas dinner.

So there are many parts to a turkey and many folks who all have their favorite part. Candy likes the part of having sandwiches for a few days afterwards.

My favorite part is below, what is yours?

White meat
dark meat
and the Parson's nose too

Breast
wing
drum stick
and thigh

left overs

make sandwiches

then what can you do?

Put it in a pot and make a stew...

My favorite part is the soup…

jtk

Brian Brown
12-30-2011, 1:38 PM
Yes....To all the above!

David Weaver
12-30-2011, 1:41 PM
pumpkin pie...

jeff . whitaker
12-30-2011, 1:53 PM
Candy had to travel to her folks before Thanksgiving. The turkey we had didn't get cooked. So, since she is having to stay there for a while I cooked it up a few days early for Christmas dinner.

So there are many parts to a turkey and many folks who all have their favorite part. Candy likes the part of having sandwiches for a few days afterwards.

My favorite part is below, what is yours?

White meat
dark meat
and the Parson's nose too

Breast
wing
drum stick
and thigh

left overs

make sandwiches

then what can you do?

Put it in a pot and make a stew...

My favorite part is the soup…

jtk

Sam'ichs.. and turkey gumbo... the dark meat adds another flavor note that goes well with the shrimp and crab... almost as good as wild game.. or if you are a heathen infidel and don't like gumbo (food of the gods) then add it to Brunswick stew.
Jeff

Rod Sheridan
12-30-2011, 2:25 PM
I like the dark meat best, followed by white for sandwiches with cranberry sauce of course.

Diann is English so the second day we have "Bubble and Squeak" which is a fried hash made from turkey, left over roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts instead of cabbage. I like mine with a hot red pepper sauce...........Rod.

Ryan Mooney
12-30-2011, 3:00 PM
With just two of us a full turkey is a bit much to devour before it goes so we've adjusted our processing to match:

Breasts are brined for 3-4 days and then smoked (usually hickory but sometimes apple or whatever). Usually ~2 pieces per side, eat one and freeze the other 3. I think this is my favorite bit probably.. maybe...
The thighs and legs I like sous vide in butter with some herbs.
The rest of the carcass is roasted and then turned into stock for later (pressure canned it keeps for a longish while)
Cranberry sauce! Yeah I know, but its really the only time I get it and well yum!

Picking one part as the best? Really hard but still going with the smoked breast.

Once the stew gets thin on meat add more veg and put into a pie! Who doesn't love pie! Maybe I'm changing my mind.. And dressing... mmm... so hard to choose!

Van Huskey
12-30-2011, 3:28 PM
#1 Family, turkey always means they are around.

#2 white meat

#3 cornbread dressing!!! I can eat my weight in the stuff

Jerome Stanek
12-30-2011, 4:18 PM
sweet potato casserole.

Belinda Barfield
12-30-2011, 4:21 PM
Smoked turkey.
Cornbread dressing with sausage cornbread dressing a close second.
If it's just a regular old baked or fried turkey my very favorite leftover is sliced turkey breast dipped in an egg wash, dredged in flour, and fried. I try to limit my fried food intake so this is a real treat.
If we're talking desserts - which is a whole different thing than the meal because we always have so many - sweet potato pie (but no one ever makes it for me and pie is so much better when you don't have to bake it yourself - sort of like birthday cake).

I visited my parents for Christmas. There's just the three of us. My daddy has "put on the weight" and is up to 165, my mom weighs 115. For dessert we had homemade fruitcake, homemade divinity candy, egg custard pie, and pumpkin pie. . . did I mention that my mother gets upset if I don't have a little taste of everything? She has learned that I draw the line at giblet gravy. As soon as I was old enough to do so, I have refused anything with giblet in the name. For holidays I always recommend wearing what my daddy refers to as "rubber waisted britches". It makes the ride home so much more comfortable.:o

Joe Bradshaw
12-30-2011, 7:42 PM
My favorite part of a turkey dinner is cooking a nice ribeye on the grill.

Jim Koepke
12-31-2011, 12:29 AM

LOL!

Now that is the spirit of leaving more turkey for everyone else.

jtk

Dale Coons
12-31-2011, 10:45 AM
stuffing--hands down! is there any other reason to cook a turkey?

Rich Engelhardt
12-31-2011, 11:04 AM
LOL!
Kinda like my Uncle Bob.
My Aunt Virgina always made him a hamburger. :)

My favorite "food" part of the dinner is the turkey/smashed 'taters/stuffing/corn "blob" that's covered with gravy :D

My favorite "part" of the dinner is the "carving ritual".
My late father in law passed that "honor" down to me a few years before he died.