PDA

View Full Version : DC In attic? thoughts/concerns?

alex grams
12-30-2011, 12:54 PM
I am considering putting my DC in the attic to free up some shop space. Technically i don't think this would prove any challenges with moving it up there, powering it, or operating (I have a remote). However, what are the other concerns? Dust blowout?

I currently have a simple filter/bag style, but am contemplating upgrading to a cyclone, which i can obviously make the dust chips fall into a can in the garage via a pipe from the unit in the attic for collection.

Has anyone done this? thoughts?

Ray Newman
12-30-2011, 2:06 PM
I ‘dunno’ ‘bout putting a dust collector in the attic. First thing that comes to mind is how are you going to keep the motor cool, especially during a Texas summer?

As you know, if the motor becomes too hot, it will trip the thermal overload on the motor or possibly trip the circuit breaker or fuse. Depending upon where the electrical panel is located, resetting the breaker /installing a new fuse might be no problem. But getting to the attic might be a problem to re-set the thermal overload and before it will re-set, the motor will need to cool down and this might takes some time in a hot attic.

keith micinski
12-30-2011, 2:17 PM
A small fan would take care of the heat. If you would have to get to the bag to empty it though that could become a hassle and going to a cyclone now puts it back down in the shop taking up space again. Not a bad idea though because it take she noise away and clears up some space anyway.

Kent Chasson
12-30-2011, 4:21 PM
You would need to do something for make-up air, like cutting a vent between the attic and the shop.

You would probably also want a sensor to warn you when the bin is full.

Van Huskey
12-30-2011, 7:42 PM
You would need to do something for make-up air, like cutting a vent between the attic and the shop.

You would probably also want a sensor to warn you when the bin is full.

I would just crack a window or door instead, easy.

Bob Wingard
12-30-2011, 7:46 PM
I have a CLEARVUE with the blower/cyclone in the attic and the chip bin on the main level ... I LOVE IT in that configuration.

Myk Rian
12-30-2011, 8:27 PM
My Niece has hers in the shop attic. No problems at all. I wouldn't worry too much about makeup air, unless the shop is sealed tighter than a drum.

ian maybury
12-30-2011, 9:28 PM
+1 on the advantages of a Clear Vue with the blower in the loft above - head height, space and noise are advantages. Make up air isn't needed unless the shop below can't make up whatever you are exhausting. The motor needs cooling - a very small space in hot conditions could possible prove problematical, but the situation would I suspect need to be fairly extreme and the blower running for long periods.

Probably best to locate the filters and the dust drum where they are easily accessible to work on, on the ground floor if possible....

ian