PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Vase

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2011, 9:58 AM
This vase is out of a rectangular piece of Mesquite that Kathy Marshall had sent me back in June. Thank you Kathy! It is the piece on the left in this photo: Original Thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168458-Surprise-Bandit-Struck-Again%21%21%21)

I wanted to turn a vase and yet I really liked the chainsaw marks that were on the sides of the wood - so I kept them. I realize that the form is not traditional but the piece turned out exactly as I had envisioned.

Mesquite, 9 ¼” high x 3 ¾” in diameter and less than 1/8” thick with the exception of the very bottom. The outside was sanded to 800 grit, the inside was left natural because I like the contrast. Finish is 2 coats of wipe-on poly and it will get a coat of Renaissance wax after the poly cures. No buffing required on this piece is super smooth – on the outside – and I like the natural look.

217641 217642 217643 217644 217645

As always, your opinions, comments and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Hayes Rutherford
12-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Steve, that is a very cool piece. I like the first photo with it lit.

Nate Davey
12-30-2011, 10:07 AM
A very nice piece, Steve. I like the natural, organic look of the piece. The finish fits the piece.

Ken Hill
12-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Very nice, love this type of turning!

John Keeton
12-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Super nice work on an excellent piece of wood! I love the concept of using a larger diameter for the turning than the width of the stock - produced a fantastic result. Great finish for this piece, too.

My suggestion for a title - "Shot Clean Through!" Kind of redneck (but, I am a redneck!) - that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the piece.

charlie knighton
12-30-2011, 11:13 AM
very nice, love the look and feel of mesquite

Rich Aldrich
12-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Nice work. I like the built in level control - you cant overfill the vase......

Fred Belknap
12-30-2011, 11:41 AM
"Shot Clean Through!" Kind of redneck (but, I am a redneck!) - that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the piece.

First thing that came to my mind was "squirrel hole". I like it, looks a lot like walnut.

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Beautiful piece Steve. I really like the looks of it.

Jamie Donaldson
12-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Excellent concept and execution Steve. I can see that you also had some fun making the photos!

Bob Bergstrom
12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
You made a great call on the chainsaw marks. The add a lot to the void area and create great interest. Not a bad piece of wood save from the charcoal pile. Kathy sure can pick'em.

Jim Burr
12-30-2011, 12:54 PM
I hate to say it to much, but organic really does come to mind. Finish makes it look like and old vessel. Really nice all around!

Greg Just
12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Very nice piece Steve. You can tell that a lot of thought went to this to get the final turning.

Mark Hubl
12-30-2011, 1:25 PM
Came out very well. I like the concept and execution. The first photo has the most pop! I have not used ren, but on such a natural piece is wax even needed?

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-30-2011, 2:44 PM
Lovely piece of work there Steve, but that's to be expected, isn't it? LOL! Excuse me for asking, but does Mesquite ALWAYS lose the red colouring? Is there any way to stop it, or is it because of exposure to daylight?

Doug W Swanson
12-30-2011, 2:52 PM
Cool piece, Steve! I like the form and the holes really add interest....

Jerry Marcantel
12-30-2011, 3:00 PM
Great piece , Steve. I'm curious how the hole came about. From the picture of the piece next to the box, there ain't no hole there........ Jerry (in Tucson)

John Keeton
12-30-2011, 3:09 PM
Jerry, I am assuming that the square stock Steve started with was wider in one dimension so that when he rounded the stock, two sides were not touched. Hollowing at that point would result in him coming through the sides that were left rough and flat.

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2011, 4:11 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!!

Primvs - all the Mesquite that I have turned has a very rich brown coloring to it. Might be fore age or location where it grew... but I have not experienced the intense reds that I have seen some turn.

Jerry, John's explanation is correct but maybe this drawing will help you see how I did it.

chris harrell
12-31-2011, 1:04 AM
Mesquite is an awesome wood to turn is it not? I love turning it, so cool that Mesquite trees are so plentiful right here on our very own soil. I spent some time in Southwest Texas and the locals of course do not take much pride in what it is that they possess, it was and is perceived as a trash tree...one of the biologists that i worked with did cook a wild boar over a slow cooking, bed of Mesquite coals. They obviously held it in high regards in this arena, for boy did it forevermore make a great tasting piece of pork...the biologist i was working with said, "The magic is the Mesquite my friend."

so for those whom have not chartered these waters, "Turn a piece of mesquite and eat a piece of pork cooked over it..." you will enjoy both.

Chris

Joe Watson
12-31-2011, 2:20 AM
That's awesome... really nice job.

Kathy Marshall
12-31-2011, 3:37 AM
Very cool Steve! I like the "see through" look, doing something like that would never have occured to me. Just let me know if you want to try some more.