PDA

View Full Version : Completion of the Military Chests

Derek Cohen
12-30-2011, 9:30 AM
Finally! It's been a long road.

If you are still curious, or just struggling to sleep, here is the final chapter ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/TheCompletedChests.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Terry Beadle
12-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Very elegant ! Very well done !

Color me green with envy!

I don't think you'll get to watch much TV though.....the eyes will drift down and lock on to your craftsmanship and remain...hoot!

george wilson
12-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Very well done,Derek. I might appear to make a lot of fancy things (but I was making them mostly on commission),but the simply,rather severe look of these military chests really appeals to my sense of what I would have around me in the house.

Jim Foster
12-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Derek,

Congratulations on this project, I enjoyed following your progress and feedback during your build a great deal.

Steve Branam
12-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Simply gorgeous! Excellent job on an ambitious project.

Bill ThompsonNM
12-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Nice work! Great to follow the construction.

Paul Cahill
12-30-2011, 1:18 PM
Absolutely gorgeous, and great to follow the construction in real-time.

Paul

Joe Fabbri
12-30-2011, 1:33 PM
Hi Derek,

Thanks a lot for sharing the build with us. It's really nice to be able to see one of these projects step-by-step. You did a very fine job. I just made my first serious effort at dovetails on a jewelry box for my mother for Christmas. Of course I tried doing it without a bench, vise, and proper saw, but nevertheless I can really appreciate all those you had to do on the chest. It must be quite an undertaking to do that many, and have them all come out so nicely. Well done, and thanks again for showing it to us.

Joe

James Owen
12-30-2011, 3:20 PM
Derek,

Beautiful work!

It has been fun, interesting, and very educational to follow your entries on building these chests. I found it particularly interesting to read about your design decisions, why you made them, and also about the challenges and problems you encountered, and how you solved them.

Many thanks for taking the time to do the write-ups and photography while you were building these. It's been fascinating reading.

Again, beautiful work!

Mark Wyatt
12-30-2011, 3:48 PM
I like that your salvage yard just had 1/4" mortice chisels lying around for $5 each. Thanks for the detail of the build. I really like your final touch with the back panels.

Andy Hsieh
12-30-2011, 8:57 PM
Derek

Great job -awesome symmetry when displayed together! Your skills never cease to maze me.

Is the wife happy?

Andy

bob blakeborough
12-30-2011, 9:09 PM
Nice project Derek! Very comprehensive build diary...

Jim Tobias
12-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Derek,
Very, Very nice chests! I really like the design lines and your execution is always Flawless! I enjoy following your builds.

Jim

Jim Neeley
12-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Awesome work Derek... informative, inspirational... Your step-by-step photo essays break your builds down into bite-sized pieces, even for those of us less-experienced folks!

Jim

Jim Koepke
12-31-2011, 12:19 AM
A very nice piece of furniture.

I bet your wife is proud.

jtk

Eric Brown
12-31-2011, 1:28 AM
Congradulations and a job well done. Please keep us informed as to your next projects. Perhaps a grandfather clock?
Thanks Derek.

Eric

gary Zimmel
12-31-2011, 7:52 AM
Sweet pieces Derek. Thanks once again for taking us for the ride.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-31-2011, 9:55 AM
Everyone else has chimed in, but again - thanks for sharing, and it looks lovely.

As an addendum, I just noticed (for those interested) a lot of Derek's pictures on that page get a little bigger if you right-click and select "open image in new window".

Chris Griggs
12-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Great build Derek! Those came together beautifully. I really like the design too. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Derek Cohen
12-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Many thanks for all the kind words. It has been a long project and, while I enjoyed every step, I am now ready to move on to something else. I have a couple of pieces that will push me all the way .. more on these later.

My best wishes to you all for the New Year.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Matthew N. Masail
12-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Wow.... I'm green with envy too! beautiful work.

Joe Bailey
12-31-2011, 5:42 PM
You keep out-doing yourself Derek -- those are impressive monuments to your skills.