PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Bowl #2

Kathy Marshall
12-30-2011, 2:26 AM
Not completely happy with this one. For one thing, for some reason this blank had one of the endgrain sides that had terrible tear out. I've never had a problem with tear out with maple before. I used some shellac on the problem area on the outside, and that helped enough to get a decent surface with some shear scraping, but no matter how light the cuts I couldn't turn it away completely so there was alot of sanding.
There also wasn't alot of curl on this piece and the color was kinda blotchy (not the nice clean color on the 1st one), so I went ahead and did some dyeing. I'll probably end up getting another blank to replace this one in the set, since I want them to look like a set.
I only dyed the outside since there wasn't much curl on the inside and with the uneven color, I didn't think the dye would do much for the inside.
This one is 9" x 1 1/2" with 1/8" walls (just over 1/8" on the rim). The inside and the base have just a light coat of BLO, the outside is dyed with a turquoise metal compound dye (don't know the brand) and has a coat of sanding sealer to set the dye.
Maybe I'll like this one better once the finish is complete.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Michelle Rich
12-30-2011, 6:21 AM
Maybe you don't love it, because of the "wash color" ??? Do you like the look? I've never been partial to the "wash effect". I like color that is color. Deep & bold. So for me, a couple more coats of color would be my preference. But overall I like the shallow bowl and I like the un-dyed inside.

Dennis Ford
12-30-2011, 8:10 AM
It has a good form and the figure is very nice but the previous one you posted blows this one away.

John Keeton
12-30-2011, 8:16 AM
Kathy, another good form! This piece looks more like soft maple (silver maple), and more quilted than curly. The other appeared more like hard maple (sugar maple.) I agree with Kathy on the color - more of it would help - though it is tough to get much more color in a piece of maple with as much natural color as this piece has.