PDA

View Full Version : Lumberyard near portland, or?

Jared Martin
12-30-2011, 1:51 AM
Hi everyone,
My wife and I just moved up to Portland, OR from Austin, TX. I've been trying to look for a good local source for wood for when I get my shop back up. Had a real nice place that I went to in Texas that had a huge selection of rough cut lumber. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
jared

david brum
12-30-2011, 10:32 AM
You might start with Crosscut Hardwoods. I haven't been to the Portland store, but the Seattle branch is well regarded. You might also want to start looking for small sawmills. That's where the bargains are (especially this time of year), and there are lots of small operations in the Pac NW.

jerry cousins
12-30-2011, 11:02 AM
gilmer woods - one of the best places anywhere. they have incredible stock.
jerry

Jerrimy Snook
12-30-2011, 11:29 AM
You're kidding right? We don't have lumber yards here. We hug trees not cut trees.

If you are looking for construction lumber then Parr Lumber and Withers Lumber come to mind.

For hardwood, Hardwood industries and Aura Hardwoods are two cabinet shop suppliers.

For exotics Gilmer.

For bookmatched interesting figure, NW Timber in Jefferson.

carl zietz
12-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Crosscut Hardwoods on front street in portland. They are the retail division of Emerson Hardwoods, I have always found good selection and the folks are friendly. If you are picking up a lot, use the loading dock in the back.

Carl

Paul Snowden
12-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I would recommend Hardwood Industries. They are 15 minutes outside of Portland but their prices and selection is A LOT better than Crosscut. If you're buying alot of stock or exotic woods try Moxon Hardwoods.

Thomas Hotchkin
12-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Jared
Welcome to the Pacific North West, you will need a raincoat now. As most have said Crosscut Hardwoods and if you have a business name you can get 10% off, Columbia Hardwood $300.00 minimum. Shur Way Building Centers, (great for plywood blows and damaged sheets) ,Moxon Lumber, Woodcrafters at 6th and Couch. And we also have a Rockler and a Woodcraft. Check out Craigslist for Hardwood (road kill), lots of small family run sawmills, you may have to drive a bit. Tom

Jared Martin
12-31-2011, 3:14 AM
Great, thanks everyone! Sounds like I have a few places to check out!

Ive been to the woodcraft already but didn't know there was a rockler here. Oh man, watch out paycheck :)