PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe

Frank Hasty
12-29-2011, 11:15 PM
I started turning three or four years ago on an early 50's vintage Craftsman, with the original tools. Had no idea how to use or sharpen them but about that time a turning group was started here (Brunswick GA), by Roy Yarger and I began to learn. It has been a very rewarding experience. I subsequently added a Grizzly chuck and a reversing switch to the 1/2 hp 1750rpm motor I was using along with a pair of 3 step sheaves. I can turn bowls up to about 9" over the bed.
Then recently I got the "new lathe" bug but held off for a couple of months and continued to look at what was available. After reading a Sawmill Creek piece on the web regarding a reversing switch for one of the the Grizzly lathes I went ahead and ordered a Grizzly. It will handle 12" over the bed and 20" outboard behind it with a variable speed motor.
I'm quite pleased with it, for one thing there's much less noise with the variable speed motor and 3 step multi-V sheaves as opposed to the Fenner Manheim belt on the Craftsman. I bought a marching chuck for the new lathe and keep one set of Jaws on it and a different set on the old lathe. Comes in handy as they are back to back in my shop. So far I've only turned a few Christmas ornaments but will next start on some crepe myrtle boxes. I'll soon be adding the reversing switch as I really enjoy using the reversing option.

Joe Watson
12-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Sounds like you are having fun.
Any pics of the lathe or stuff you have turned ?... pictures are like food for some :)

John Keeton
12-30-2011, 7:57 AM
Frank, welcome to the round side of the creek, and always remember - we love pics!! Sounds like you are moving along with the turning thing quite well.