PDA

View Full Version : Mirka Ceros for polishing?

Frank Martin
12-29-2011, 11:13 PM
I currently have Festool sanders and thinking about getting a Mirka Ceros if it performs well as a polisher as well. Festool Rotex is definitely a two handed machine, Mirka looks like would be easy to control one handed. Would appreciate any real user experience.

richard poitras
12-30-2011, 6:09 AM
Frank I have a Ceros and like it a lot. It’s defiantly not a two handed machine. I have never tried any polishing with it so I can’t comment on that but it works great for sanding. Light and powerful.

Richard

David Hawxhurst
12-30-2011, 10:52 AM
i have the 5.5" ceros and tried polishing pads of the same size, it just didn't have the power to perform with the foam polishing pad. but its is one of the best electric da sanders i've ever used.

Frank Martin
12-30-2011, 1:11 PM
Richard,

Sounds great. I will give it a try and see how it works. Did you get the 5mm orbit version with black switch paddle?

Frank I have a Ceros and like it a lot. It’s defiantly not a two handed machine. I have never tried any polishing with it so I can’t comment on that but it works great for sanding. Light and powerful.

Richard

Frank Martin
12-30-2011, 1:14 PM
David,

Just saw your post. Sad to hear it is not powerful enough for polishing. I am not planning to do heavy duty foam polishing, just using abrasion to knock down surface imperfections after finishing with waterborne. So, hope it does have enough power for that. I have close to 40 kitchen doors to process so a looking for a one handed power option.

i have the 5.5" ceros and tried polishing pads of the same size, it just didn't have the power to perform with the foam polishing pad. but its is one of the best electric da sanders i've ever used.

Van Huskey
12-30-2011, 1:27 PM
If you do a lot of doors often it may be time to think about a brush sander for denibbing. Given the cost of a Ceros and all the associated labor the small Supermax would seem to be a BARGAIN. http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/39592/awfs-tool-news-combo-drumbrush-sander-could-be-a-boon-to-pros

David Hawxhurst
12-30-2011, 5:17 PM
David,

Just saw your post. Sad to hear it is not powerful enough for polishing. I am not planning to do heavy duty foam polishing, just using abrasion to knock down surface imperfections after finishing with waterborne. So, hope it does have enough power for that. I have close to 40 kitchen doors to process so a looking for a one handed power option.

when you say polishing i think of the foam pads used for polishing. if your going to use something like 2000 grit sand paper or higher it should work just fine.

Frank Martin
12-31-2011, 10:13 PM
David,

I will likely use Abralon pads or like you mentioned 2000 grit or similar sand paper. I ordered yesterday, will see how it works.

when you say polishing i think of the foam pads used for polishing. if your going to use something like 2000 grit sand paper or higher it should work just fine.

Frank Martin
12-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Van,

That looks like a really sweet machine. If I did not already have the Jet oscillating drum sander, I would have thought about that as well, but don't want to duplicate machines. This is pretty much a one time high volume work for me for upgrading my kitchen. I will not be doing ~40 doors at once at another time that I can think of.

If you do a lot of doors often it may be time to think about a brush sander for denibbing. Given the cost of a Ceros and all the associated labor the small Supermax would seem to be a BARGAIN. http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/39592/awfs-tool-news-combo-drumbrush-sander-could-be-a-boon-to-pros

David Hawxhurst
01-01-2012, 6:21 PM
the abralon pads are pretty nice and work well with the ceros. also look at micro-surface.com they make the micro-mesh pads that are very similar to the abralon.

Van Huskey
01-02-2012, 6:23 PM
Van,

That looks like a really sweet machine. If I did not already have the Jet oscillating drum sander, I would have thought about that as well, but don't want to duplicate machines. This is pretty much a one time high volume work for me for upgrading my kitchen. I will not be doing ~40 doors at once at another time that I can think of.

If it is a one off it certainly wouldn't be worth it especially since you already have a drum sander. Over time you may want to watch craigs list, sometimes the Supermax brush sanders come up for sale with metal working brushes come up and often go CHEAP, a freind of mine bought one and changed out the brush for a woodworking one for denibbing, got a great bargain in the process. It has really reduced his labor cost/time on finishing doors.