PDA

View Full Version : A different pedistal and finial....need your opinion.

Ed Morgano
12-29-2011, 9:55 PM
This didn't turn out exactly as I envisioned but it's a work in progress. I wanted to do a carved pedistal and finial but I don't have the skill yet. I'll probably never have the patience. Anyway, the shape isn't right but please tell me what you think of the concept. Thanks!

Scott Hackler
12-29-2011, 10:31 PM
I like the idea behind this Ed. The stem is really cool looking and a matching (yet smaller) finial would be cool. My suggestion is to work on incorporating this concept into a stem/foot combo that flows better. The foot should (IMO) be flattened and approach the stem gradually. Think wine glass. The abrupt "joint" between the stem and the rest is a bit distracting. Nice work.

Brian Effinger
12-29-2011, 10:32 PM
I say keep going with it to the end. It's a great concept. To me it seems like the pedistal is strectching to hold the form up as high as it can. If the carved cage had been more rounded it would seem like it was buldging under the weight of the form.

I hope that makes sense, since it is just some of my ramblings. :)

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Ed I like it. I do agree the bottom of the pedestal should have more of a sweeping curve to it like the top so it has a flowing look to it. I agree with Scott that a smaller matching finial would really set it off.

Mark Hubl
12-30-2011, 2:40 AM
Like where you are going. A stem of that dimension and style is quite a challenge. If they all came out I would not have a burn bucket in the shop.:) The proportions of the foot may be a bit large. With such a tour de force stem I think I might for go the top and the finial. I think this piece is coming along. Good job, this type of work can get a bit old, especially the first 20 or 30. Have another piece going so you can take a breather on the sanding and carving. Goes along way towards keeping your sanity!

Michelle Rich
12-30-2011, 6:14 AM
I am impressed as heck, with your stem! awesome! To my eye, the vessel looks a tad thick-ish..it could use an ogee? One that is more pronounced than the little bit that is already there? (photos are so hard to get a real good view of a piece) It appears in this picture to be a tad heavy for the stem. But, I really think you are getting the hang of it. keep at it & keep sharing!

Josh Bowman
12-30-2011, 7:00 AM
Ed, I really like the stem. To my eye, I think the base is a little "chunky". You might lighten it up to mirror more closely the top of the stem, where the cup joins. That might do the trick. However with all that said, I wouldn't change this one, just the next one, this one overall looks great.....and I really like that stem.

John Keeton
12-30-2011, 7:20 AM
Ed, I agree with the comments on the base - needs to be less of it, and sweep into the stem. On the spiral portion, you have done a great job!! Way more patience than I have. IMO the form of the stem is too bland for the carving. It doesn't showcase the spiral. I like Brian's comment on the weight of the main form pressing downward and bulging the stem, and an upside down pronounced onion shape would accomplish that quite well with some added mass and that should make the carving a bit easier, too.

With that change, and a matching finial - this piece would be awesome!!

Dennis Ford
12-30-2011, 8:05 AM
This is very impressive, the carving looks great. I like the stem a lot. I hope you make a finial for it. A finial with matching carving would be awesome but very difficult on the small scale that would be necessary. A finial without carving would still make this a very nice piece.