PDA

View Full Version : Popular question... Bowl Gouge suggestions.

Chris Studley
12-29-2011, 9:15 PM
Hi all, Hope you all had a nice holiday.

I have seen this question about 4 times in the last week, great info. I have meant to chime in and ask some further questions but hate typing on my phone.

Anyway,

Bowl gouges. I only have a HF HSS turning set and since I like doing bowls, A proper bowl gouge is badly needed so it will be my next puchase (some xmas money being put to good use). My question is more really more specific than the open recommendation though.

I have about $60 and no patience to wait for ordering online(nor shipping$) so I will be headed off to woodcraft in the A.M.

From what I can tell my Budget gives me a few choices. Low-$ to Hi-$)

1. Sorby Sovereign Fingernail Bowl Gouge 3/8 in (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080225/28395/Sorby-Sovereign-Fingernail-Bowl-Gouge-38-in.aspx) $48.99

2. WoodRiver 1/2" Fingernail Bowl Gouge (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005238/28845/WoodRiver-12-Fingernail-Bowl-Gouge.aspx) $50.99

3. Sorby Sovereign Bowl Gouge 1/2 in (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080225/28396/Sorby-Sovereign-Bowl-Gouge-12-in.aspx) $53.99

I don't have the Soverign Handle, but would be happy to turn my own handle. If there is some reason NOT to do this let me know.

I lean toward the last but since the Sorby is British, I understand the 1/2" indicates the Flute size making the Bar ~5/8".. Is this too big to be my only Bowl gouge (for a little while anyway) making the 3/8" (1/2") a better choice from a versatility standpoint? or should I get more heft for an extra $5?

Also how deep would you all suggest the bar portion be inserted into the home made handle?

Scott Hackler
12-29-2011, 9:22 PM
Out of your choices above, I would easily choose the Sorby 3/8". I have this one (with the factory handle) and it's my go to tool. Not as hard of steel as my Thompson's but a good tool. 2-2 1/2" into the handle is plenty with a brass (1/2 a copper pipe fitting works great) ferule on the end for strength. The larger one is a good roughing gouge (and I have one) but I don't like using it for anything but roughing.

Chris Studley
12-29-2011, 9:33 PM
Thanks Scott,

Good luck healing Up quickly. I'm not sure typing is really resting the wrists though :).

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2011, 9:44 PM
Chris - I would think that the size of the bowl gouge would be directly tied into what size bowls you plan on turning. I use a 5/8" on everything except some extreme roughing and I use a 3/4" for that. Just me, I would go with a fairly large gouge just because it will have more steel and less flex.

Jamie Donaldson
12-29-2011, 9:50 PM
Before determining what size gouge you need, tell us what size lathe and bowls you intend to turn. If turning bowls under 8" on a smallish lathe, a 1/2" diameter gouge would be my suggestion, but like Steve my workhorse gouge on a stud lathe(Stubby) and bowls above 8" and for roughing would be my trusty 5/8" dia. gouges.

John Keeton
12-29-2011, 10:00 PM
A call to Doug Thompson in the morning will get you a gouge shipped out to you the same day, I am betting. By Tuesday morning, you should have a handle made for that new Thompson gouge - and, within your budget. Much better choice for the money than your options - all of which are essentially the same M2 HSS, from my understanding.

Dennis Ford
12-29-2011, 10:03 PM
I agree with Scott. The Sorby 1/2" (5/8" dia) is great for large bowls but too big to be your only bowl gouge.

Greg Bender
12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I agree with John 100%.This is where a little patience will pay you back time and time again. Doug is very quick and for $55 or so there is no other choices .Turn your own handle with a 1.75" or 2" deep hole ,order it in the morning and you should have it right away. The holiday might present a little delay but it will be worth it in the long run.
Greg

Chris Studley
12-29-2011, 10:12 PM
@ Jaime - I have the HF Jet Clone... 12" swing, Can rotate headstock for outboard turning (although I havent done more than a pine stool seat outboard, need more ballast). I turn 4-6-8" generally but also try to utilize the full swing when I can. So I would think like steve and go for the extra steel but on a 3-4" bowl will it be too cumbersome? or workable?

Wally Dickerman
12-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I will agree with John...get a Thompson gouge and turn your own handle. My suggestion is a 5/8 inch, modified V flute. That will be your go to gouge for a long time to come. With a side grind, the nose of that gouge will be similar in size to the smaller gouge, so you can turn just about any size bowl with it.

I have several bowl gouges and in all sizes. The Thompson 5/8 in. is my go to gouge most of the time.

When I was teaching classes and a newbie student came in with newly purchased 3/8 in gouge (UK size) I always asked him/her to try both a 1/2 in and a 3/8 in. Almost always they prefered the larger gouge.

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2011, 11:17 PM
+1 on the Thompson gouge. I have a 5/8", 1/2" and 3/8". Like most of the others the 5/8" is my go to.

Justin Stephen
12-30-2011, 7:52 AM
I agree with Scott. The Sorby 1/2" (5/8" dia) is great for large bowls but too big to be your only bowl gouge.

Another vote for this. On a 12" swing lathe, if I could only have one bowl gouge, it would be a 1/2" (3/8" UK).

Richard Jones
12-30-2011, 8:21 AM
I will ditto what Wally said, hard to beat the Thompson 5/8V. I use mine for practically everything. I do use an old Sorby 5/8 (1/2) that's been converted to a Continental grind for transitions, and a Thompson 1/2 for some things, and even a Thompson 3/8 for cleaning up bottoms while the vacuum is on (less pressure I'm told), but the 5/8 is the workhorse. If you don't want to turn a handle, you can use some pipe, fittings, and radiator hose.

Rich