PDA

View Full Version : need a cordless jigsaw any ones to stay away from?

Steve knight
12-29-2011, 8:25 PM
Now I am not using this for high quality work. I will use it to hack up the sheet stock when I remove the scrap from my cnc router. sometimes I end up with a full sheet with lots of holes. my makita cordless skillsaw binds too much and ends up being a pain. I was looking at the makita cordless to save batteries but the think is 180.00 without a battery. thats way to much for what I am doing. a cord would just get caught on everything and I can't take it out to the dumpster with me if needed. so anyone use one and have feedback? so far this milwalkie one seems a good bet.
Milwaukee 2445-21 M12 Cordless High Performance Jig Saw Kit

Van Huskey
12-29-2011, 8:46 PM
Why do I see myself doing that job with a reciprocating saw instead? It probably isn't the correct tool but that is my first thought.

I like my Dewalt cordless jigsaw but it is Makita priced and you would need a battery and charger so even more so.

Kevin Presutti
12-29-2011, 8:50 PM
Check this out Steve,

http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-52314-rt-14-4v-cordless-jigsaw/bshr52314-rt,default,pd.html?start=11&cgid=bosch-cordless-saws

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-2445-21-12v-cordless-m12-high-performance-hybrid-grip-jig-saw/miln2445-21,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=milwaukee-cordless-saws

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/factory-reconditioned-milwaukee-2420-82-12v-cordless-m12-lithium-ion-hackzall-reciprocating-saw/milr2420-82,default,pd.html?start=7&cgid=milwaukee-reconditioned-saws

Steve knight
12-29-2011, 8:57 PM
great minds think alike. had the wife get me a makita cordless reciprocating saw for Christmas. only 100.00 for the tool (now I see them for 79.00) but the think is so massive and heavy you can't use it one handed. most of the time I hold the material with one hand cut it with the other. I have the batteries and charger but 180.00 is too much just for the tool. I did notice that pc had a more one handed reciprocating saw but the jigsaw gives me easy one handed use and am not worried about a clean cut just a fast one and no binding.

Steve knight
12-29-2011, 9:15 PM
I can get the Milwaukee saw at home depot for 149.00 but I can't find much info on the batteries. but it is almost 2# lighter then the bosch but I bet the bosch would run a fair amount longer. but batteries are cheap for the Milwaukee and you can get larger batteries.

Steve knight
12-30-2011, 12:56 AM
here is what I may cut though figure a 4x8 sheet. got to cut it so it will fit in the dumpster
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/cnc%20jigs%20and%20parts/9e0fc97e.jpg

Van Huskey
12-30-2011, 2:36 AM
Steve, I know about as much about CNC routing as my dog knows about fluid dynamics... BUT, can't you just tell that machine via the finger interface clicky clack board to make a cut at the end to cut the board in half? It can't be that easy since I am sure you would have already done it, but I guess I am just wondering why it isn't feasible.

George Gyulatyan
12-30-2011, 5:29 AM
Why not use a circular saw?

Jerome Hanby
12-30-2011, 6:03 AM
Why not use a circular saw?

That's what I was thinking. Maybe build a saw table out of some 2x4s and hold it up with saw horses or banquet table legs and slice and dice. If you have ever bought a cordless set of tools you probably got a circular saw. If not, I bet you can find somebody that has an extra you can get for little to nothing.

Steve knight
12-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Sometimes I used the machine to cut the scrap up but only if there are larger sections. otherwise the sheet will not hold in place and it takes longer to get the drawing down and get the machine to do it. Plus most of the time each sheet is different so it would really add up. if they are the same then I get the machine to do it. speed is the key I don't have room to put the sheet horizontal and cut it so it is leaning up against scrap when I need to saw it. I need to get the scrap out of the way load the machine back up and while it is cutting cut the scrap up while it is leaning against something. so I have to hold the material while cutting it. I have used the cordless skill saw for years but it binds so much it is a hassle. I also stomp and break them over the dumpster depending on the material.
the reciprocating saw would work well if I had a way to hold material in place. I will use it when I have several sheets to cut at once.

Van Huskey
12-30-2011, 1:33 PM
I figured there was a good reason!

BTW for those that have pointed out circular saw, ne mentioned thats what he has been using but it binds, which makes perfect sense if you look at what he is cutting.

Steve knight
12-30-2011, 6:03 PM
found this guy only 99.00 seems to work well as long as you press against the wood to keep the chatter down.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/posting/F5D01F27.jpg

Michael Moscicki
12-30-2011, 6:43 PM
What about getting a track saw(either DeWalt, Makita, or Festool). It's great for cutting up sheet goods and long pieces in general.

Jerome Stanek
12-30-2011, 7:06 PM
I don't know what can software you use but I do this in Aspire Just add a file at the end to get rid of the scrap and leave usable pieces.

Steve knight
12-30-2011, 8:29 PM
I use aspire too. it just depends on if the sheet will stay in place ok and if it is something I do more then once. Most of my work are one off's and if you have 20 sheets that are all different it is too slow using the machine to hack them up.

Todd Burch
12-30-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm thinking electric chainsaw.

Jerome Stanek
12-31-2011, 8:11 AM
I use two Fein vacs for hold down and if I leave the pieces in place I can cut up my sheets. I just combine the files so the machine cuts out the scrap last. only takes a minute to add the cuts and I tell it to cut on the line. I can get some nice size pieces out of a sheet that is nested or leaves a lot of room around the parts. I cut 30 inch circles out of dibond for one customer and I can get some real nice drops from them.

Steve knight
12-31-2011, 12:32 PM
I use the machine where it is practical or I have usable scrap. but usually I want the sheet and parts off fast so I can get going on the next. but is easier to remove one piece of scrap off the table set it aside and hack it up later if I am doing a lot of sheets.

Matt Meiser
12-31-2011, 2:54 PM
I'd probably go with something like the last thing you posted but I don't have one so I can't say how well they work.

But what I would say, is choose one that takes batteries from a line of tools you like, that way you can add more in the future.

I have the Bosch because I got my first one when they were new, but if I was starting again, I'd probably get Milwaukee. I have 18V Milwaukee and love them. Nothing against the 12V Bosch, but Milwaukee makes more toys...err...I mean tools...for theirs.