PDA

View Full Version : Table saw and work bench height, why 34 inches?

Duane Bledsoe
12-29-2011, 6:24 PM
I've noticed that my table saw and my work bench are 34" in height (work bench actually 1/4" less) and I've seen this before on other tools as well. I thought standard counter top height was 36" for comfortable working. So why would these be 34" instead?? It's good that the table saw and work bench are so close in height, I can use the bench as an outfeed table. If I had another one I could use it as an infeed table, and I had already decided that I wanted another one just for convenience of putting them end to end or side by side for more work surface, and more drawer storage.

The reason I'm asking about counter top height is I'm debating building counters around my workshop area to offer more work surfaces and to provide places to mount bench top tools like a grinder, miter saw, scroll saw, or other things, and I want to get it right. I've also noticed that I like a work surface even considerably taller than the standard 36" a lot of times too. I found this out when working in my driveway on top of my retaining wall as a work surface. I can put my miter saw there, or scroll saw, and it's very comfortable. The work is right up where I can look at it in front of me instead of looking down at it. So, I may just break the rules and mount a few of my tools a good bit higher than standard counter top height.

lowell holmes
12-29-2011, 6:32 PM
My understanding is that the work bench should be at your knuckles when standing at the bench with your arms at your sides.

34" is what is average. I have my bench at 34" as is my saw. I can use it to hold the ends of a plywood sheet when preparing to rip the sheet.

I am getting ready to build a Moxxon's vice for when I need the work elevated.

Rod Sheridan
12-29-2011, 6:49 PM
Hi Duane, bench height depends upon two things

1) Your height

2) The use of the bench

I'm short (5' 7") and my bench is 36 inches high because of how I use a bench.

With my arm bent at 90 degrees and my hand on a plane, the plane sole is about an inch above the bench, just right for planing. It's also a good height for whacking mortise chisels with a mallet.

Now, if were to put a bench grinder on a cabinet I would want it higher, same for inlay work or chopping a lot of dovetails. ( I use a box to raise pieces for dovetail chopping, it's easier for me to see and I don't have to bend over).

Regards, Rod.

Chris Parks
12-29-2011, 7:28 PM
The best height is what you are comfortable at and as you get older that height will rise as your body loses its flexibility and eyes lose their ability to focus. I find having the TS very high in comparison to my height is great as I can see what is going on better and I an not bent over for long periods of time.

Van Huskey
12-29-2011, 9:11 PM
I have no idea why 34" + or - is what TS manufacturers have settled on but it probably has to do with accomodating the most people. If anything they probably go a little short since it is much easier to add height to a TS compared to making it lower.

Everyone is different. For example I am nearly 5 inches taller than Rod but prefer my handtool bench at only 32.5" but prefer my hand power tool bench to be about 36.5".

Bruce Wrenn
12-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Delta set the standard when they invented the Unisaw and contractor's saw. They chose 34", so most others followed in their footsteps. These were the first tilting arbor saws. Prior to that the tops tilted.

doug faist
12-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Duane - working heights are very personal and should be adjusted to what is comfortable for you, not the majority of people. My workbench is 37 1/2" and I have my table saw at 40"; it works for me. Those heights allow me to work longer without that awful cramping in the lower back.

Blocks for legs are easy to make; do some experimenting and see what works best for you.

Doug