PDA

View Full Version : Found some really great dowel storage containers.

Bill Huber
12-29-2011, 5:25 PM
I have been looking for some good containers for my dowels. I had them in glass jars but I don't think I need to tell you how that went when I knocked them off the bench.

My daughter gave us 2 of the larger ones for the house to hold cereal. When I saw them I thought, dowels right off the bat.

I ordered 3 of them, 2 of the 3 qt and one 4.5 qt., they work out great. They seal good with a rubberized silicone seal, there is a little door on top that is just right to dump out a few as needed, the rest stay sealed in the larger container.
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10021672&N=&Ntt=cereal

These are 1", 1 1/2" and 2" dowels the container holds about 700 dowels or more, there is 700 of the 1 1/2" dowels in the middle container.

HANK METZ
12-29-2011, 6:05 PM
Good tip there Bill, should also work well for biscuit storage; the baggies that some are packed in are not very effective for a product that should be stored in an nearly air tight environment.

- Beachside Hank

Jim Matthews
12-29-2011, 7:24 PM
Stay out of my kitchen, Bill.

"Beaver chow, now available in family size!"

Don Jarvie
12-29-2011, 10:08 PM
If there is a Dollar Store in your area go stop in. Lots for tupperware type items for a dollar for storage. I like the little baskets to put screws, etc in while fixing machines. Tons of things if you use your imagination.

John M. Johnson
12-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I have found that the ziplock's with the red tab zipper are fantastic for dowels. Quick to open/close, no moisture issues and I can drop them all day long. Plus, my paws can fit into the bag and pull out a single dowel.

Anthony Whitesell
12-30-2011, 7:44 AM
If you like mixed nuts, Sam's Club sells a big jar of them. The jar is fairly square with a large mouth lid. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=164004

Wal-mart has a jar about the same size of regular peanuts.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Planters-Dry-Roasted-Party-Size-Peanuts-34.5-oz/10291452

I've found them quite handy. One will hold a large bag of biscuits from Rockler with a little room to spare.

Larry Fox
12-30-2011, 8:08 AM
Good idea. My kids like Animal Crackers (who doesn't?) and the bulk stores sell them in a really big plastic jar with a very wide mouth. They make nice storage. I have one that I stuff random pieces of partially used sandpaper into. It's very handy when you just need a little bit.

Keith Outten
12-30-2011, 9:01 AM
For storing long dowels (36" to 48") I use schedule 10 PVC pipe with caps on both ends. I built a plywood pipe hanger and fastened it to the ceiling of my shop as I don't use them that often.
I store short dowels and nails in the blue plastic Maxwell House coffee cans, they seal up nice and tight and stack easily on a shelf.

Dan Hintz
12-30-2011, 9:17 AM
Throw in an extra silica gel pack to soak up any residual moisture.

HANK METZ
12-30-2011, 9:22 AM
Throw in an extra silica gel pack to soak up any residual moisture.

Great idea too, I also throw those in with my shellac flakes to eat any moisture, which is the bane of their shelf life.

Bill Huber
12-30-2011, 10:31 AM
For storing long dowels (36" to 48") I use schedule 10 PVC pipe with caps on both ends. I built a plywood pipe hanger and fastened it to the ceiling of my shop as I don't use them that often.
I store short dowels and nails in the blue plastic Maxwell House coffee cans, they seal up nice and tight and stack easily on a shelf.

The only problem with the coffee cans is I cannot see how much I have on hand just by looking at them. When I notice I am getting low, I then make the order so I will have them when I need them. I was using Zip-Lock bags and kept them in a drawer, I was always running because I would not reorder when I should have.

I lucked out for my longer dowels, I ordered something from Woodcraft and it came in a clear plastic tube with nice end caps on them and I have been using it, works great.

Jim Rimmer
01-01-2012, 10:32 PM
If there is a Dollar Store in your area go stop in. Lots for tupperware type items for a dollar for storage. I like the little baskets to put screws, etc in while fixing machines. Tons of things if you use your imagination.

Great idea, I recently picked up a brownie pan and a bread pan and a set of measuring spoons for $1 each. I had picked up a glass measuring cup at antique store for a couple of bucks. The spoons and cup are great for accurately measuring your dye mixtures and I used the breadpan to hold my dye mixture while staining.