PDA

View Full Version : Grain orientation

Dave Anthony
12-29-2011, 5:04 PM
I'm building a bathroom double vanity which will have two doors ~ 21" w x 21" t. There will be 2 false drawers, ~ 21" w x 5 1/2" t, 1 real drawer ~ 13"w x 5 1/2"t, and two real drawers ~ 13"w x 9" t. In the past if I'm building a door the grain is oriented vertically, if building a drawer the grain runs horizontally. Given the fact this is all in the same piece how would you orient the grain?

scott vroom
12-29-2011, 5:47 PM
Typical orientation is vertical for door stiles/panels, horizontal for drawer fronts in the same piece.

glenn bradley
12-29-2011, 7:35 PM
Given the fact this is all in the same piece how would you orient the grain?

Just as you describe.

Steve Griffin
12-29-2011, 9:12 PM
Not enough information:

If the drawers are solid wood, horizontal.

If the drawers are framed with raised panels, horizontal grain for the panels.

If the drawers are framed with flat, ply panels, you have a choice. I strongly prefer keeping the panel grain vertical for everything. Others prefer it the other way.

If it is a contemporary piece with veneered flat panels (no frames), then orient the grain one way or the other, but not both.

But in the end, if you are making this for yourself, do your best to make it as you prefer. Sometimes we are slaves to what others are doing, and forget to be creative.

Lee Schierer
12-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Typically drawers with solid wood fronts have horizontal grain and panels have vertical grain, 217619. If you frame the drawers the grain can be vertical in both the drawers panels and the door panels.217620

George Gyulatyan
12-30-2011, 5:15 AM
While I agree with most posters regarding the typical grain orientation on drawers (sideways), I've always found vertical orientation on drawers cut from the same flitch and bookmatched to be quite beautiful and striking in appearance.

In the end, I suppose it depends on the look of cabinets that you're going for, and whether you're using any pieces with unusual or striking grain.

See for example:

This piece would lose that special look had the grain ran horizontally on the drawers. (Original image from http://www.plesums.com/wood/bedroom/lingeriechest.html)

David Fink does some really cool stuff as well:

Original image from http://www.davidfinck.com/furniture/bedsidechest.htm