PDA

View Full Version : Finial A or Finial B. To foot or not to foot?

Ron Bontz
12-29-2011, 3:01 PM
Well today I was turning a spalted box slightly larger than my last one.This one has a little more of a tea pot belly. Thanks for the spalted wood, Dave. I turned one finial and could not decide if I liked it or not. So I turned another. And no I still can't decide. I also haven't decided if I want a foot on this one or not. I sketched it without a foot. I had not intended on using two different woods, but do not have any more spalted maple. At least I think that what it is. So now I am wondering if I should balance it out with a walnut foot. It is approx. 6" dia. x 9" tall. C&C welcome.

Dick Wilson
12-29-2011, 3:06 PM
Ron, Personally I like the second finial better. Mr. Keeton has the artistic eye and can critique much better than I on profile, proportions, etc.

Roger Chandler
12-29-2011, 3:08 PM
I like the second finial better as well.............a foot might be interesting on this one, Ron.........make a pedestal and don't glue it on, then see how you like it.......make a couple until you get the look you are going for..........then glue it on!

Ron Bontz
12-29-2011, 3:21 PM
As in elevated? I hadn't really thought of that. Interesting. It is certainly a lesson on ogees and proportions.

John Keeton
12-29-2011, 3:33 PM
Definitely the second finial vs. the first. I think a very slight foot would be nice, but of the maple. If that is the chuck hiding under the sheet, it doesn't appear that you have enough wood for a foot?? If not, walnut would work, but if it is very much of a foot, it will be over powering. I would think no more than the thickness of the first bead on the finial, and tucked under the form having a diameter about the same as the waist of the form.

Justin Stephen
12-29-2011, 3:47 PM
I actually prefer the shape of the first finial against that piece, but it is a pretty slight preference. I think it would benefit from a modest foot, maybe 2-3mm or so.

David E Keller
12-29-2011, 4:11 PM
I like the second finial better, and I'm ambivalent on the foot which means it probably needs one.

Bill Wyko
12-29-2011, 6:26 PM
I'm with John, the second one and a small Walnut foot would be nice. Beautiful piece of wood you have there too.

Allan Ferguson
12-29-2011, 7:15 PM
The second finial is my choice. The first finial would look good as a handle for a small bell. Nice work and looks good.

Ken Hill
12-29-2011, 7:21 PM
2nd gets my vote

I can really see a difference in these 2 finials. Many times I cant really see a huge difference when the artsy folks ask for it, but this one is clear as bell!

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2011, 7:27 PM
I like the second finial. A foot may be nice but like the curve and how it sits as is.

Ron Bontz
12-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Well as it turned out my hand slipped and I snapped the B finial in half. So I scrounged around and found a small piece of spalted wood to make another finial and added a bead to the bottom. So for the most part the box is finished. Just can't seem to get that finial right.:( C&C welcome.

John Keeton
12-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Ron, that slip may have been fortuitous!! I think it looks great, and honestly, the same color finial works! I would not have thought that, but it looks good. Nice base/foot, too.

Good work all around, and a very nice looking finished piece.