PDA

View Full Version : 2 part hollowing

Richard Hutchings
12-29-2011, 1:12 PM
I want to make some segmented vases but I don't have a hollowing tool. Can I make them in 2 peices, hollowed like a bowl and then glue them together and finish the outside? Does anybody do this?

Robert McGowen
12-29-2011, 1:47 PM
Hi Richard, I am not sure why you would need a hollowing tool to make a segmented vase. I have always turned the inside as I build it. If you have a large piece, you can certainly do as you described though.

Richard Allen
12-29-2011, 2:18 PM
Yes you can. There are no rules about this. The fact is you can make a closed form if you want (no opening).

Jim Underwood
12-29-2011, 2:58 PM
Yes, of course you can make 2 pc hollowforms. In fact, you can use this procedure with endgrain or sidegrain orientation hollow forms.

Brian McEvoy has some very nice examples of side grain 2 pc HF.

Jamie Donaldson
12-29-2011, 4:50 PM
Most all segmented forms are turned in multiple pieces, then stacked and turned as you build. Make a joint shape of some sort to secure and align the joint, as well as provide a larger surface for gluing.

Richard Hutchings
12-29-2011, 9:34 PM
Thank you all. Can't wait to get my first one started.

Michelle Rich
12-30-2011, 6:32 AM
Richard..you can turn as you build or do it in halves. whatever is easiest for you & the tools you have..i.e. reach & shape of vessel. Hope you post a pic & share your results

Mike Johnson
12-30-2011, 7:59 AM
Hello, Richard.

If you want to read a detailed description of this process, get a copy of Malcolm Tibbits' book, "The Art of Segmented Turning." He tells you all you need to build a two part form.