PDA

View Full Version : Black locust lumber - know of any for sale?

Todd Burch
12-29-2011, 8:35 AM
I've been having a tough time locating reasonably priced black locust lumber. I would like to obtain some and do a couple smaller projects.

Last vendor I checked with wanted $12/bf for a 1,000/bf quote (random width, random length, random thickness!). Yes, $12,000 US. Now, that was a "delivered" price, but delivery can't be that much. I mean, I buy hardwood lumber at $1.25/bf, and I know that shipping costs are factored into that.

Prior to this quote, I thought $4/bf was high.

Anyone got a source they have used or has physically seen black locust for sale at a mill local to you? (I can google as good as the next guy, and I've checked with most of the online vendors. All are very slow to respond, and think they are selling gold.)

Thanks, Todd

Cory Hoehn
12-29-2011, 9:45 AM
Try these guys:

http://bonesteelmillandmolding.com/index.html

Good luck.

Jamie Buxton
12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Around here, black acacia is an urban-lumbering sort of thing. The slabs are just whatever they can get out of whatever trees they encounter. I've never seen material longer than six feet. The last slabs I bought were $8 per bdft in 2" thickness. Pretty, though! Nice chatoyance.

Paul Grothouse
12-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Todd,

I am not sure where you are located, but it is a common wood used for fenceboards in Eastern PA. Try the Lancaster Farmer Paper. It is normally sold green.

keith micinski
12-30-2011, 10:00 AM
A guy I know just bought some from here and loved it. http://www.hickoryandoak.com/

Todd Burch
01-01-2012, 9:55 AM
Cory - thanks so much. I called Roger and he sounds like a great guy. I asked him to give me a holler the next time he gets into a big stand of locust.
Keith - thank you too. I checked out their web site, and bookmarked it. They seem like my kinda people too.
Paul - thanks for the tip. I search their online classifieds and found one listing for poles. I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm in Texas, so any of these options will be a drive, but worth it for a large enough order at reasonable prices.

Jamie, did you use it in a project? How was it to machine for joinery and glueing? Did you resaw any of it? Whatever I buy would be on spec (no particular project in mind - maybe adirondack chairs, pool equipment storage, outside table), so I'm considering just getting thicker stuff and resawing as needed.

Todd

Jim Becker
01-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Todd, I suspect that the lack of supply for black locust stems from the fact that it's somewhat of a "specialty" species when it comes to lumber and if you've every seen the trees, you'll know that the yields are tougher than black walnut. I hope you're able to find what you need, but don't hesitate to look for substitutes that offer a similar look.

Jamie Buxton
01-01-2012, 11:26 AM
...Jamie, did you use it in a project? How was it to machine for joinery and glueing? Did you resaw any of it? Whatever I buy would be on spec (no particular project in mind - maybe adirondack chairs, pool equipment storage, outside table), so I'm considering just getting thicker stuff and resawing as needed.

Todd

I've built a headboard with it, retaining the live edge and sapwood along it. The sapwood is quite light compared to the heartwood. I've also sculpted it into big knobs for cabinets. And recently I've turned a few tops in it. It works well -- planes cleanly, saws well. I haven't done any bandsaw veneering with it, but I don't have any reason to be afraid of resawing it.

John TenEyck
01-01-2012, 4:26 PM
Jamie, did you use it in a project? How was it to machine for joinery and glueing? Did you resaw any of it? Whatever I buy would be on spec (no particular project in mind - maybe adirondack chairs, pool equipment storage, outside table), so I'm considering just getting thicker stuff and resawing as needed.

Black locust cut, planed, resawed, and finished fine for me on several projects I made with it. It also turns well. As your post suggests, it's great for outdoor projects as it's very rot resistant - the heartwood, not the sapwood. It will weather to that common silvery grey that some folks like. Since I'm not one of them, I've used Epifanes Marine Varnish on my outdoor projects and BL looks beautiful under it.

BL trees do not lend them selves to long, straight boards, nor does it grow very large, at least where I live. I think this is why you don't see it offered for sale many places. So you might want to think about other rot resistant woods that are more readily available.

Bob Falk
01-01-2012, 10:37 PM
You might try Midwest Black Locust. They are supplying me with posts and rails for a fence.

http://www.midwestblacklocust.com/midwest-black-locust

Bob Falk
08-10-2012, 6:45 PM
where you located? Here is a supplier in Wisconsin.

http://www.midwestblacklocust.com/

Todd Burch
08-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks Bob. I just emailed MBL. I'm in Texas.

Todd