PDA

View Full Version : I got a gift certificate for Christmas....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Does anybody have this Woodpecker drillpress table?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020347/21970/WOODPECKERS-Drill-Press-Table.aspx

Van Huskey
12-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't own it but I have played with one and I prefer the Lee Valley version for the taller fence and dust collection, but the WP version does have other bells and whistles AND I assume you didn't get a LV gift certificate too...

Ken Fitzgerald
12-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Van....your assumption is correct.

Paul McGaha
12-29-2011, 8:17 AM
Hi Ken,

I have the one from Rockler. It's a lot like the one from Woodpecker. I like it well enough. You'll need a fairly large square nearby to square the fence to the table with each new setup.

PHM

Matt Meiser
12-29-2011, 8:44 AM
I have it and am happy with it. My only complaints, and both are minor:
1) the brass thumb screws to tighten the fence aren't very easy to tighten for my big fingers. I have some 1/4-20 quick releases I've been meaning to try on it.
2) if they made the back of the fence about 2" deeper with a U-shaped cutout for the column, you'd get a little more usable room due to the way the fence mounts. Because the fence is an fairly wide extrusion you loose some capacity with the fence on. The fence is very easy to remove when you are working with a bigger piece.

Get at least two of their flip stops. I believe it comes with one fixed stop but 2 flip stops are even more handy--often I want to drill a hole say 2" from both ends of several pieces and the flip stops allow you to set this up. For example drilling holes for Euro hinges in 20 doors of varying heights.

Cary Falk
12-29-2011, 9:52 AM
Ken,
I like the design but thought it was a little to shallow(like Matt) for my 17" DP. I made one fro about the same money buying the parts from Woodcraft. The fence lock downs have levers which would eliminate Matt's 2nd pet peeve.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0637.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0650.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0638.jpg

Matt Meiser
12-29-2011, 10:17 AM
That looks great Cary.

One thing to add that Cary's photos made me think of--it really seems to be sized for a 14" DP. If you have a bigger DP, you might find it to be too small.

Jeff Monson
12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Cary that is a great looking table!

Ken, I have the one from Rockler and IMO its not worth buying. The means in which it attaches to the drill press table is the problem. Not sure on the woodpecker model, but that would be a main concern for me on buying an aftermarket DP table. It appears to me that Cary's is bolted directly to the table which is the smart way to do it. Mine has some cheesey t-nuts on the bottom, that pull out of the table material when you try to tighten it. If the woodpecker model has a secure way of attachement it looks like a winner. I'd like to hear from owners on how it is attached, I may be interested in one also....or get some ambition and build one like Cary did.

Cary Falk
12-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Jeff,
I marked where the slots on the drill press table were going to be located on the bottom side of the table. I drilled four 1" holes in the MDF table. I glued hardwood dowels into the holes and sanded them flat. I then took wood screws and and wahsers and attached the tables together at the wood dowels. I can torque on the screws to get the table tight without the risk of them pulling out. You might want to try that with you table.

Cary

Cary Falk
12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
If you decide you want a taller fence, Rockler has some of this.
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/35605-01-200.jpg

Craig Coney
12-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Ken,
I have the Pinnacle version of this DP table and have been very satisfied with it. Like Matt stated, my only complaint are the fence hold downs, but it appears from the photo on the WC site to be upgraded. I haven't had any issues on depth, I have a 17" Delta DP. The only time the fence wasn't tall enough for me was when I was attempting to drill a hole in a thin weather vane blade for a project my son was working on. Other than that, the height of the fence hasn't been an issue. I added the two flip stops and hold downs.

Matt Meiser
12-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Yes, it does look like they improved the knobs, but at the expense of even more depth capacity.

Brian Tymchak
12-29-2011, 5:06 PM
I have that Woodpecker's table (older model with the brass knurled nuts) on my benchtop DP. For the most part, I've been pleased with it but just a couple days ago, I noticed there was a little sag in the middle of the table, about .040" worth. Since I was relying on the mdf insert to back the hole, I ended up with a little tearout. It's been a few months since I used the DP, but I don't remember having that issue before. If I can get back into the shop over the weekend, I'll see if I can figure out why.

Timothy Wolf
12-29-2011, 7:29 PM
I have one mounted on my Craftsman King Seeley 15" Drill press that works very nicely. I just got it about a month ago but I have no complaints. The fence seems to work fine for most work, (I would remend buying the taller fence for the times it is needed but the short one stays out of the way so I like it) I had no problems attaching it to my drill press, unless you build one yourself that's better I think you will find it gets the job done and doesn't cost too much money.

John Shuk
12-30-2011, 7:53 AM
I've had one for 6 years or so and I think it's an excellent product. I've not found myself wishing for any other type.

Peter Quinn
12-30-2011, 12:37 PM
I've had one for about 6 years now, no complaints. Mine is blue phenolic faced Baltic birch plywood, otherwise the same. I keep a big chunk-O-poplar near by to act as my tall fence when needed. You don't need to square anything to anything on a dP iME except the table top to the shaft. The fence skews a bit to work at any angle close to square. All in all a convienent package.