PDA

View Full Version : Radio control airplane

Zahid Naqvi
03-11-2005, 4:31 PM
I have offered to buy an R/C airplane for my 10 year old son for his 10th, as an alternative to the latest gameboy invocation. I really want to limit his exposure to electronic entertainment. But I have no knowledge of R/C anything. Can someone provide me some basic info on what would be appropriate for that age group as a learner. Gas powered seem expensive and too complicated. I have read descriptions for "park grade" electric planes that seems interesting but not sure.

thanks for any info you can provide.

Scott Loven
03-11-2005, 4:55 PM
I used to build and fly RC airplanes until my wife told me that she would much rather see me spend my time and money on woodworking then things that crash into the ground!
I would go with an electric powered glider. Are you going to build the plane, or buy one ready to fly. Building a plane with your son could be a LOT of fun. The best thing would be to contact a local RC club to find someone to help you learn to fly. Send me an email if you want to talk on the phone.
Scott

Zahid Naqvi
03-11-2005, 5:54 PM
I used to build and fly RC airplanes until my wife told me that she would much rather see me spend my time and money on woodworking then things that crash into the ground!
I would go with an electric powered glider. Are you going to build the plane, or buy one ready to fly. Building a plane with your son could be a LOT of fun. The best thing would be to contact a local RC club to find someone to help you learn to fly. Send me an email if you want to talk on the phone.
Scott

Thanks Scott, I will PM you with some ebay links, seems like there are plenty on sale for very reasonable prices.

Darren Ford
03-11-2005, 7:07 PM
My brother, a complete beginner, got one of the ready to fly electric 2 channel planes and loved it. He now wants something better. The biggest problem is that you need almost *no* wind. Around here, its hard to find an open field that doesn't have wind all of the time.

2 Christmases ago, my daughter, then 7, just absolutely begged for an R/C plane. Knowing she was not ready for anything other than a cheap toy, we picked up one of the $30 foam R/C planes at WalMart. Christmas day we went out into our field and were shocked the it would actually fly. Flew so well in fact that within 15 minutes we were watching a thermal take it up and away, out of sight. So ends our R/C adventure, because I took my daughter to the store to replace the plane and she decided she would rather have a new bicycle.

Jim Becker
03-11-2005, 8:56 PM
I flew R/C many years ago. It was an enjoyable "sport" and I also enjoyed building the planes...probably what you could consider where I started woodworking. That said, unless you have a competent teacher available, you and your son are likely to experience disappointment. It's not something that is easy to learn successfully on your own. Further, you really need a place to fly that is not near to homes and other places where people are about for safety reasons. Joining a local club and national association is almost a must for that reason. IMHO, of course.

Dennis Peacock
03-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Z,

I used to be an R/C airplane instructor just a few years ago. I had SEVERAL planes to include 1/4 Scale stuff. I even built planes for people for a while. Get with me.....I can for SURE help you on this one.

Don't forget....ask about things at your back door first....There are experienced folks in Arkansas!!! ;) :D

Zahid Naqvi
03-13-2005, 6:26 PM
Z,

I used to be an R/C airplane instructor just a few years ago. I had SEVERAL planes to include 1/4 Scale stuff. I even built planes for people for a while. Get with me.....I can for SURE help you on this one.

Don't forget....ask about things at your back door first....There are experienced folks in Arkansas!!! ;) :D

The mysteries of Dennis continue. I will hook up with you the next time I am in conway