PDA

View Full Version : Wards Master #6 plane?

Greg Urwiller
12-28-2011, 9:16 PM
It seems strange to post in the "hand tools" section cause I try to avoid any hand WORK at all costs! But, that said, I've always wanted a collection of hand planes. I watch all the local auctions, and check out the antique shops around. Haven't found anything I want to get started on yet. Today I was in my local pawn/gun shop and found a Wards Master #6 hand plane. $20. Didn't buy it, wanted to do an internet search to see what the Wards brand was first. So, the Wards models were basically a rebranded Stanley, is that right? Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal for $20? This isn't a cherry, but it's not in too bad of shape, a good cleaning, sharpening (the blade has plenty of length, doesn't look like it's been sharpened much(at all)), whatever. So, does $20 look reasonable? Thanks. Greg

Jim Koepke
12-29-2011, 2:47 AM
It could be a Stanley, it could be another brand.

There are a few things to consider before it would get my mind thinking it was worth $20.

The handles would be my first consideration. Are they of a quality wood or plastic? I am not sure if Stanley ever sold bench planes with rosewood handles through Wards.

My other concern would be the frog. If it has the adjustment screw, that would be a plus. I do not like the ogee frogs of type 16 and later. They do not have as much area in contact with the blade assembly.

The disk on the lateral adjustment lever is my preference over the bent up tongue.

This site is good for determining the type/date of Stanley/Bailey planes:

https://home.comcast.net/~rarebear/planes101/typing/typing.htm

Here is a site to help identify the maker by the lateral adjuster:

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html

Stanley and Ohio Tools made planes with the adjuster similar to the Union. I think there is a slight variation in the twist.

Stanley also made one that looks similar to the Sargent adjuster only Stanley's is more of an open upside down V compared to Sargent's tight upside down U.

jtk

Greg Urwiller
12-29-2011, 4:57 AM
Thank you Jim! Great sources of information. I was just killing time, seeing what I might find yesterday. I pounced on this when I saw it and was disappointed when I see it was a Wards. I assumed that meant Montgomery Ward, was hoping for a Stanley. Anyway, the handles are wood on this one. I'll probably go back and check it out later, don't figure it will fly off the shelf that fast. I've only got two other planes right now, both are off brands....ones a Craftsman, the other a Winchester. Not real impressive, that's why I'd like to get some decent planes and try a little more hand work. Thanks. Greg

Jim Koepke
12-29-2011, 1:01 PM
Can you take some pictures of the plane?

You could also offer them a lower price.

There is something about the Winchester that some collectors like. Mostly just the name.

My brother just had a bunch of stuff on ebay and the highest bids were for an old beat up Winchester screw driver.

It is kind of fickle though, you never know when they are looking.

jtk

Bill Houghton
12-29-2011, 4:02 PM
I have a Wards Master plane (No. 4 - smoother), and it's an excellent tool. The iron sharpened up nicely and held its edge for a long time.

James Carmichael
12-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I have a #5 that belonged to my grandfather. It's quite old, but I don't think it's on a par with the Bailey's in quality, possibly a handyman?
The tote is a cheaper hardwood, not rosewood.
If I have a chance to inspect before purchase, I look for:
No cracks or repaired cracks in the casting
Mouth square to sides
No pitting on the sole. This may be hard to tell if it there's surface rust.
On an unknown like this one, I'd remove the frog, I like to see a nice, heavy receiver underneath, which my wards does not have.

John Powers
12-30-2011, 3:57 PM
My 4 is a gem. Good as anybodies regardless who made it. If the lateral is working and the adjuster knob and if you'll use it $20.00, how could you go wrong?

Bill Houghton
12-30-2011, 9:47 PM
Wards, like Sears, contracted out the production of tools (along with most or all of the rest of what they sold), so quality of "Wards Master" planes may change a lot, depending on the year of production. And, of course, it's generally true that the later (newer) tools will be less well made than the earlier/older ones.

Greg Urwiller
01-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Just thought I'd update this post, I did end up buying the plane. Looks to be a Union plane according to the lateral adjustment lever ( thanks Jim K and your links!). I bought it ($20) and a Crain straightedge ($45) for $55 today. Figured the plane should be worth $15 at least and the Crain (carpet) straightedge should be worth $40. The straightedge ought to come in handy when I'm putting in doors...a lot easier than trying to find a straight board to align by. Anyway, thanks for the info! Greg

john brenton
01-05-2012, 9:44 AM
Let's see some pics Greg!

Although the Wards tools aren't coveted and don't fetch a high price, they had some good stuff. As was mentioned here, it's probably made by Stanley. I just recently bought a Wards combination plane with the full set of cutters, and a Wards duplex rabbet plane..both in truly mint, never used, condition for about $100. If it were marked Stanley I wouldn't have been able to afford either of them.

Don Jarvie
01-05-2012, 2:20 PM
Even if the plane isn't the greatest you invested 20 bucks to learn how to fix one up.