PDA

View Full Version : Which articulated system

Peter Blair
12-28-2011, 7:51 PM
Hey guys. I know this isn't a simple question but I read a lot about the Monster system but am never sure which system is being referred to, the captured arm or the articulated arm system. I have an Elbow and am not that happy with it especially with the laser, any time I get any vibration I have to re-adjust it. I would like to do more hollow forms up to about 8 or 9 inches deep but would also like to do short wider ones. So my question is, how many of you use an articulated system as opposed to a captured arm system. I know this topic has been beaten to death but re-reading the threads I am still unsure.
I am currently looking at the Monster (not sure which one), the Jameson, and the Derry.
Almost ready to pull the trigger, as a matter of fact I have gone so far as to put a few of the systems into their respective "Shopping Carts" but then just couldn't finish the order.
Any help would sure be appreciated.
Will probably try to re-sell the Elbow once I make a decision.

Roger Chandler
12-28-2011, 7:53 PM
Articulated for me!

John Keeton
12-28-2011, 7:55 PM
Peter, I suspect whoever owns either system is going to prefer that system - both because it works for them, and for whatever reasons they made that initial choice. Having tried both the Jameson and the Monster, I much preferred the Monster. I like the quality of the construction better, and it felt better for me. I have not used a Derry, so I can't offer much there.

I do not own the captured accessories for the Monster - yet!;)

charlie knighton
12-28-2011, 8:33 PM
Peter, the elbow hollowing system is only designed to go 6 - 7 inches deep. vibration and no place to put your hands over 6 inches.

David E Keller
12-28-2011, 8:38 PM
I've got both monster systems, but I've never touched the captured version since the articulated version does what I want it to do. No to confuse things, but I'd take a look at the Gizmo from JTTurnings as well... It reminds me of a beefier monster. There are a few Gizmo owners here that may chime in. Don't get me wrong, I like my articulated monster, but the Gizmo looks like the same thing on steroids!

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2011, 8:41 PM
Peter - I have both of the Monster systems and love them! I turn a lot of the wider hollow forms and use the captured system for 90% of the hollowing. The articulated system works best for getting into those extreme shoulder areas and also is the best thing to use for all your finishing cuts. I also have the 1" boring bar and that allows me to hollow deeper without any vibration issues. So far I have only hollowed to 12" or a little deeper and that 1" bar works beautifully!!

Good luck with your decision!! If you have questions... you can always call and talk to Randy! He is the expert and always willing to help!

Jim Burr
12-28-2011, 9:55 PM
Not to weigh your decision, but I upgraded my lathe this month. I had a Monster for my mini and had a long discussion with Randy about what changes to make and why or why not. He is a man you can chat with and get the choice that matters.

Justin Stephen
12-28-2011, 11:35 PM
I have the articulating arm Monster on my 46-460 and spoke with Randy before I purchased about the two options and he helped convince me to go with the articulated over the captured, at least for my situation.

robert baccus
12-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Try not to get hung up on catchy names. both the jamison and elbo were being backyard engineered 10 years before they were manufactured and sold as a package. i now own a deepboring tool named "deepthroat #4" by coarser friends. homemade by good friends any myself it resembles a Jamison but much heavier in shaft and capture system. its not a problem to bore 15" without a catch. it is also able to use 5 diff. tips. one of which is the mastercut "hook" which throws out chips equal to any 5/8 gouge. i'm just trying to show that the tools you use are limited by your imagination. --------old forester

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2011, 12:05 AM
I also have both monster systems. I also find that for wide and deep HF's the captured works better for me. On smaller stuff and like Steve use the artculating arm unit to get to those far corners.

steven carter
12-29-2011, 9:13 AM
Peter,

I just got the Monster articulated arm system. I wish I had more experience to better answer you. I have done 2 HF rough outs so far and can state that the laser has been rock steady once I get it set into position. One of the reasons I went with the articulated arm is because of limited space on the back side of my lathe.

sam upton
12-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Pete, please do youself a huge favor & look at the Gizmo before making a decision. Check out JTtools website & give Tom a call. He is a great guy & I'm sure will be happy to share his knowlege with you.

Steve Kubien
12-29-2011, 11:38 AM
If you opt for the Jamieson, get in contact with me. I have one that I don't use (don't do may hollow forms) and am willing to part with.

Harvey Ghesser
12-29-2011, 1:11 PM
Check out the KOBRA. A youtube video is available. I'm waiting for mine.

John Beaver
12-29-2011, 1:25 PM
+1 on the JT Turning Tools Gizmo.

Prashun Patel
12-29-2011, 1:59 PM
In my research, the Kobra and the Gizmo appeared to be beefier than the Monster. However, the Monster (articulated hollowing system) works fine for me, and is - all in - a little less pricey (I believe) than the former.