PDA

View Full Version : Built my own Monster

Harry Robinette
12-28-2011, 7:20 PM
Will it's done and works great.:D I had the aluminum plate 60-61 aircraft,the round bar is the same. I drilled 5/8" holes then put UHMW into them and drilled 5/16" holes for the bolts. This works as the bearing for the arms to move smoothly. Works with no effort and very smooth. I haven't built the shaft and cutters yet in the pictures I'm using a Kelton hollowing tool. I made it so it will hold 3/4" tools and adapters for 5/8",1/2",3/8" tools.
Has taken about a week drawing it up and making it and cost was nothing cause I had all the stuff I needed around the shop from other projects.
I save everything!!!!! WELL heres the pictures let me know what you think.

Hayes Rutherford
12-28-2011, 7:27 PM
I think it looks great and should do everything you ask it to. Very satisfying to make your own tools especially if they come out that nice.

Roger Chandler
12-28-2011, 7:30 PM
Pretty slick, there Harry! I would think you might want to get a bigger boring bar in time.........that is if you want to go deeper.............that is a great piece of work you did there.........congratulations!!!

Nate Davey
12-28-2011, 7:31 PM
Nice job Harry. I'm hoping to start on mine this week.

Steve Vaughan
12-28-2011, 7:38 PM
That's sweet! You're gonna love it! Heck, be sure and sign and date it on the bottom! A 100 years from now, someone's gonna still be using it! It's a great project and you've succeeded big-time!

Jamie Donaldson
12-28-2011, 7:50 PM
Looks very functional, so how are you going to mount the laser?

John Keeton
12-28-2011, 7:57 PM
Harry, I admire your workmanship, but like Jamie, I would be looking for a way to have the laser - that is one of the neat features of the Monster system IMO.

Eric Holmquist
12-28-2011, 8:08 PM
Very nice job, I planning to build some articulated arm system soon

Dan Forman
12-28-2011, 8:24 PM
Looks great, and good that you included a way to use larger boring bars. If you build a laser, I would advise against copying the Monster version, I find it maddening to adjust. Look at some of the single adjustment rigs out there.

Dan

Michael Short
12-28-2011, 8:54 PM
Very Impressive.

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2011, 9:23 PM
Very impressive Harry and I think a laser would be easy to do.

Richard Madden
12-28-2011, 9:30 PM
Looks very nice, Harry. I'm sure you are gonna love it. If you decide to include a laser, I'd be happy to show pictures how I rigged mine, unless you already have something in mind.

Jon Prouty
12-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice job Harry! Here is my version... page two, last post for details on the laser setup. Dead nuts simple and cheap.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164569-My-version-of-an-articulated-hollowing-rig

JP

Joe Watson
12-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Excellent, love this kind of stuff.

Some time down the line i plane on making one myself, have acouple questions if you dont mind.
With this, you used the UHMW as a bushing/sleeve and the end result with a wall thinkness of .156, correct ?

I drilled 5/8" holes then put UHMW into them and drilled 5/16" holes for the bolts
Did you also use the UHMW as a washer between each bracket or is it aluminum sliding on aluminum (with the metal washers and nuts on the top) ?
The thought of using UHMW as a bushing crossed my mind, but i thought it would have to much stress, i was gonna use it as a washer between the metals.

Thanks for any help.

_

Bill Bolen
12-29-2011, 2:38 PM
You did a fine professional job on this Harry! And being homemade makes it even more fun to use. ? about your rear mount. Did you bolt it to the base plate somehow? I didn't notice any welding.

Johnny England
12-29-2011, 8:20 PM
Good looking rig! Looks better than some of the pro built ones I've looked at. I have been collecting parts and pieces to build one for a year or so. You got me thinking I need to get started on it. Thanks!!!

Harry Robinette
12-29-2011, 8:39 PM
OK
The laser is in progress. have to go to the metal store.
The boring bars are also being made,right now I'm using my Keltons. Need metal store.
The hole the UHMW is in is actually 21/32 so the wall is 3/64 is what I think it is,it looks like it's plenty. NOW a buddy came by and he's worked in the plastic
industry for years he said the UHMW plastic will wear around the top and bottom of the bolt holes with any up and down movement.I might have to go to the flat bearings but for now it works GREAT so we'll see.
Yes there is a bolt from the bottom through the plate and threaded into the post.

Joe Watson
12-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks alot for the info. Good luck with the laser.

Rich Aldrich
12-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Really nice work. It looks very professionally built. We appreciate all the information on your hollowing system.