PDA

View Full Version : What is the holding power of glue on prone to warp boards??

Duane Bledsoe
12-28-2011, 6:34 PM
Let's say I was going to use some really prone to warp fur strips to do something simple with. So I get some that are straight, glue them face down on the surface of another board, and then let the glue dry while clamped down. Is there any chance that these cheap boards could warp and pull apart the glue?? I'm not planning to use any of these, I'm just curious about how much hold power I could expect from the glue I use, which is Titebond II.

Van Huskey
12-28-2011, 6:42 PM
If I understand correctly what you propose would be thin "warppy" wood glued to a larger board. If this is correct the large glue area vs the thin wood (with its resulting lack of warping strength) would probably work fine.

Mike Henderson
12-28-2011, 8:21 PM
If you do a good job of gluing the faces - clean raw wood to wood contact, glue not too old, and good pressure when clamped - the warppy boards are not going anywhere.

Mike

glenn bradley
12-28-2011, 8:31 PM
I agree if your 'substrate' is stout enough the shear strength of the face to face glue area should hold well. You are basically making a lamination.

Todd Burch
12-28-2011, 8:59 PM
What is the holding power of glue on prone to warp boards??

Specifically, the holding power of glue on prone to warp boards is the same when gluing not prone to warp boards!! ;)

Let's say I was going to use some really prone to warp fur strips to do something simple with. So I get some that are straight, glue them face down on the surface of another board, and then let the glue dry while clamped down. Is there any chance that these cheap boards could warp and pull apart the glue??

Furring strips could never warp and pull apart a glue joint. No way, never.

Jeff Duncan
12-29-2011, 2:23 PM
I don't think the question in the title is so easily answered. For instance if your gluing 7" wide 1" thick maple boards edge to edge and hoping the glue will keep them together....nope, over time it will fail. Even if the glue holds, the wood itself will fail and likely right alongside the glue line.

Now if the strips you propose are very thin then yes the glue will hold. In fact if they are sufficiently thin you could bend them into a shape and glue them and they will hold the shape.

In between these scenarios are an infinite number of possibilities and so specifics need to be considered.

I'm not sure if your talking about furring strips or fur strips. If they're furring strips then they're probably pine and pretty flexible. If they're fur strips as mentioned in the post, how thick are they, how long, how wide? Again it makes a difference.

Also keep in mind if your purpose is to get a straight board....that also will not work. Even if the glue holds, which if the strips are thin enough it likely would, by gluing one flat piece to one warped piece you'll get a thicker slightly less warped piece. You won't get a flat piece.

good luck,
JeffD