PDA

View Full Version : My wagon vise build

Jay Maiers
12-28-2011, 5:45 PM
Quite a while ago I asked a ton of vise questions and received a lot of great information from y'all. I've finally made some progress. My bench top is one glue-up shy of completion, and most of the wagon vise hardware is fitted and ready to go. Attached are a couple of pictures You know: without those, it didn't happen ;)

The assembled parts.

One of the end flange bushings and clamp collar. I used this assembly on both ends to avoid machining proper garters.

The sliding dog block (ACME hex nut in the center). Also shown is the inexpensive cast aluminum handwheel I bought at my local Ace Hardware. It squeaks.

It's still just pinned together, and the entire assembly needs to be glued to the rest of the bench. Also not shown are the bottom plate and the track hardware. Why?
Weeelllllll..... :o I haven't finished that part.

I've got some 1/4" plate aluminum for the bottom of the dog block. It should ride in the grooves on either side of the opening. I've also got some 2" x 1/8" steel strips that I will screw to the bottom to capture the plate. If that plan doesn't work, I've got another one that involves a lot of routing and some more scrap metal. I hope Plan A is a success.

Below is a list of stuff I ordered from McMaster. I lifted this list from another (recent) thread.
I used 3/4-6 left hand Acme threaded rod for the screw, some bronze bushings and thrust bearings at either end for support, and two piece clamp collars instead of machined garters. The mock-up worked pretty well, but only time will tell if the clamp collars hold everything in place. If that does not work, I will pull the threaded shaft and grind a couple areas down, and then pick up a new pair of collars in a smaller diameter.

BTW, the left hand thread allows me to turn the screw in a typical clockwise fashion, sliding the dog block towards the other end of the bench. If you use a standard thread, you'll have to spin it counter-clockwise to tighten things up.

Since I'm building my new bench top here at my office, I've got the entire setup out in the shop. I'm still a day or two out from test fitting the assembly, but I should be able to snap a couple of semi-coherent photos.

91808A109 Plain Steel General Purpose Acme Hex Nut, Left-Hand, 3/4"-6 Acme Size (x1)
98935A449 Plain Steel General Purpose Acme Threaded Rod, Left Hand, 3/4"-6 Acme Size, 3' Length (x1)
5906K518 SAE 841 Bronze Thrust Bearing, for 3/4" Shaft Diameter, 1-1/4" OD, 1/8" Thick (x2)
6436K16 Two-Piece Clamp-on Shaft Collar, Steel, 3/4" Bore, 1-1/2" OD, 1/2" Width (x2)
2938T23 SAE 863 Bronze Flanged-Sleeve Bearing, for 3/4" Shaft Diameter, 1" OD X 3/4" L X 1-1/4" Flange OD ((x4) 2 for the bench, and 2 for the dog block)
ETA: the total cost of the hardware came in around $50 before shipping; a very reasonable $5 UPS charge from their warehouse west of Atlanta.

Last edited by Jay Maiers; 12-06-2011 at 2:16 PM.

Bill Haumann
12-28-2011, 6:03 PM
Looks great, hope it plan A works out.

I was planning to put a wagon vise on my almost finished Nicholson, but chickened out.

Michael Panis
03-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi Jay,

I really like your idea for a wagon vise, and I'm thinking of copying it.

Since you wrote this post, has the prototype continued to work well? Is there anything you would do differently?

---Michael Panis

Michael Panis
07-16-2012, 2:45 PM
Hi Jay,

I took your idea (and parts list) and ran with it. Here's my version:
I had enough room to put the dog hole above the screw, and since I like using plastic dogs that only need 1" of depth, I could make the vice 1 board wide.
The biggest problem I'm having is drilling a 1" diameter hole dead straight. Thanks again for a great idea!

---Mike