PDA

View Full Version : A boxwood smooth plane I made in 1970

george wilson
12-28-2011, 4:14 PM
I am going to ask Zahid to not post this plane in FAQ yet. I may find other views of it among the hundreds of other slides I still have to look through now that I have this slide scanner.

I was 29 in 1970,and had never had access to the Diderot Encyclopedia,and other historic material like it. They kept an original complete set of it in the Historic Trades office,and I looked through it a lot.

I saw these 18th.C. French planes with their sea shell front knobs,and thought they were pretty nice. These shells were octagonal in form,and also twisted to 1 side,to allow the hand to get a firmer grip as the plane was pushed.
Around the edges of the handle,and along the top edge of the plane's body, there is a 1/16" 3/4 round section put into the wood with a simple scratch stock made from a saw blade.

I was new to the Woodcraft catalog then,too,and had one of their Ulmia smoothers with lignum vitae soles,and the palm rest under the blade.

Under the influence of these 2 things,I made this boxwood plane with the old Roman style cross pin-though the plane's body is ONE piece,and not glued up like Krenov planes. This plane has a lignum vitae sole also.

A top view would be nice if I can find it,and I'll re post this if I can find more views,because I want to show the twist of the shell,and I also carved panels into the top surface of the plane to fill the empty spaces around the octagonal shell of the front grip.

This is not something I'd ever do again,though I don't think it's bad. I just fell out of the influence of the Ulmia plane soon,and gave it away. The English style planes soon became my favorites.

I gave this plane to the head architect at Williamsburg when he retired,as he had always had a lot of interest in my work. It is about 10" long.

Chris Vandiver
12-28-2011, 8:07 PM
Absolutely stunning! More views would be nice.

Gary Herrmann
12-28-2011, 8:11 PM
George, let me know if you need someone to test drive it and report back.

george wilson
12-28-2011, 8:32 PM
I may find more views. There are many slides to go through,and the pictures of that plane were made by an apprentice I had in 1970,so I have forgotten what there may be available. I'm holding off getting it into FAQ since more views may turn up.

Derek Cohen
12-28-2011, 8:54 PM
George, even in your "youth" you had an eye for detail. The small features there, such as the curl on the curve at the rear of the blade bed, are just wonderful.

Best wishes for the coming New Year.

Regards from Perth

Derek

george wilson
12-28-2011, 9:22 PM
Derek,I was wondering when you would show up ! Months ago you did the "come on George" post,requesting more pictures. I am now able to post slides that have for many years lain unused. Enjoy.

The curve goes with the curve of the front knob.

This plane was a deviation from my usual line of thinking,but I was under new influences as I mentioned. When I first got a Woodcraft catalog(which were MUCH different in the 60's),I was all excited by the European tools that I was seeing for the first time. Strange how I lost all interest in my Ulmia deluxe plane about a year afterwards. I just gave it away. Didn't even ask a dollar for it. And,it was like new. By that time,though,I had become well exposed to the collection of antique tools in Wmsbg.,and my education was happening rapidly. 1970 was probably my most formative year since I parted company with Will Reimann,my sculpture teacher in college. I had just come out of 6 years living in a vacuum in rural North Carolina,except for the high class classical guitars I saw at the School of the Performing Arts in Winston Salem,where even Segovia taught master classes to my friends.

Have you talked to Chris Vesper about his stay with me? I didn't realize you 2 lived so far apart.

Derek Cohen
12-29-2011, 8:02 PM
Hi George

Australia is a big place! Perth to Melbourne (where Chris lives) by air is 5 hours. That is about halfway across Oz. Chris usually comes to Perth once, perhaps twice, each year for the Wood Show. Over the past couple of years I have joined him on his stand and we have generally put on a show for the crowds (such as the fastest houndstooth dovetail competition). He has also stayed over at my home, and proved that he is indeed house-trained. A good fellow, and a wonderful toolmaker.

Yes, Chris speaks of you with much fondness. Obviously that crusty exterior hides a warm heart! :) He mentioned that your equipment was so-so. :p

I'll be posting a build soon, hopefully later today.

Regards from Perth

Derek

george wilson
12-29-2011, 8:05 PM
As poor as response has been to some of my pictures,I'm thinking about not posting. It is a lot of trouble.

Dave Schwarzkopf
12-29-2011, 9:27 PM
George,

I can't speak for others, but every piece of your work I've seen has been well beyond my capabilities; truly something to work towards. The fact that you've had 40+ years since to 'refine' your skill leaves me wondering if there will be a George Wilson museum one day, or at the very least your own wing in a respectable establishment. Please don't stop posting; while many might not post replies, I'm sure the 'view' count is doing better than my stocks, and it'd be a shame not to have your work posted for a wider audience.

What really leaves me awestruck is that you don't seem to have any single niche mastery, I've seen everything from tools to musical instruments done better than most who spend a lifetime doing just 1 thing.

Dave

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-29-2011, 10:03 PM
I was going to post pictures of a panel gauge I knocked out over the holiday, but with all this beautiful work of yours, I'm ashamed to admit my hackery.

I'd hate to see you stop posting these George. I haven't been able to comment on each thread, but I love seeing these. I know it can be a lot of hassle, however. Even if you just finished scanning these into the computer (assuming that was something you were planning to do) and uploaded all of the pictures at once sans commentary, I'd love to see them. If it's too much of a bother, don't let us pester you into doing it though. I know I, as well as others here, would gladly volunteer to help, but there's obviously nothing we could actually do.

I learn something from every one of these posts, if I keep my eyes open and pay attention to what you say. Regardless of if you continue of not, thank you for sharing as much as you have.

george wilson
12-29-2011, 10:20 PM
I appreciate your comments,Dave and Joshua. If no one leaves a remark,I can't tell if they hated the work,didn't understand it,or just didn't bother to say anything.

Jack Curtis
12-29-2011, 11:51 PM
I appreciate your comments,Dave and Joshua. If no one leaves a remark,I can't tell if they hated the work,didn't understand it,or just didn't bother to say anything.

I'd need more photos to even attempt to say anything usefull. Looks great so far.

Jack

Jim Koepke
12-30-2011, 3:01 AM
George,

Your work is inspirational even if I don't post a response for each one.

Hopefully you will post more.

Once they are up here they may be something I can share with my grandchildren in the years ahead.

jtk

John Shuk
12-30-2011, 8:17 AM
George,
You must keep posting pictures though I do understand the work involved. There are precious few examples of the type of work you showcase. I think if nothing else your work inspires people to put a bit more into their craft. I know it has that effect on me.

Mark Wyatt
12-30-2011, 9:50 AM
George,

There are many of us who don't say much but study your picutres and descriptions closely. I've looked at this boxwood plane about 15 different times. I'd really like to see a cross section of the front half if you find more slides or photos.

Please keep posting pictures and describing how and why you created something. It really helps me understand more about this craft and art.

Kees Heiden
12-30-2011, 1:25 PM
Nice, very.

Personally I still very much enjoy my LV soled Ulmia smoother. No other plane glides so nice over the wood. But it makes for a rather delcate plane, because the LV is brittle and damages easilly on the edges of the mouth.

I was wondering about the front tote on your plane. Is it modeled after planes like in Roubo's book? I see that the angled top is pointed to the back of the plane. On other continental planes like the Dutch 18th century fore and try planes, an equilly shaped tote is pointing forward. Would there be a thought behind that?

George Beck
12-30-2011, 6:02 PM
WOW! I am simply overcome. That is beautiful.

John A. Callaway
12-30-2011, 6:35 PM
As poor as response has been to some of my pictures,I'm thinking about not posting. It is a lot of trouble.

Are you kidding me ? somebody or yourself....could write about about your career... and it would be an essential " must own " just as is the book The Essential Woodworker is. I suggest the title " George Wilson... 'nuff said "

Keep em coming, I look at every post of yours daily...

Lowell Smith
12-30-2011, 8:44 PM

Say it's not so! I love seeing your work. In fact, I would be thrilled to see these (all pictures) collected in a book! (Complete with anectdotes.)

Don Reneau
12-30-2011, 10:45 PM
As poor as response has been to some of my pictures,I'm thinking about not posting. It is a lot of trouble.Mr Wilson, I'm relatively new to Sawmill Creek and thoroughly enjoy viewing pictures of your beautiful work and been urged to compliment you. This is my first reply. I resisted the urges to reply, as not to occupy your time reading from such an untrained person as myself, unfortunately having no noticeable ability in "the arts". Please continue to honor us with your wonderfull works of art.I am presently reviewing the past 400 or so past messages and learning fast. Best regards, have a wonderful vacation and hope your knee improves. Don Reneau

Don Reneau
12-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Mr. Wilson, please continue to share your wonderful works with us. As to the "poor Response", I have been inclined to compliment you directly but resisted the
urges as to not waste your time reading from a neophite as myself. Believe me your pictures and wonderful comments are enjoyed more than you'll ever know.
Best regards, have a wonderful vacation and we hope your knee improves. Respectfully Don Reneau

Stewie Simpson
12-31-2011, 2:09 AM
Dont even think about stopping George. Your work is too important to keep hidden from others. On a personal note you have inspired me to reach for the next level of competancy with my hand tool skills. I have also learnt by better understanding your own methodology that an indepth knowledge towards your subject can deliver an outcome that can far exceeds expectations. Stewie,

Barry Mabery
01-04-2012, 1:00 PM
I am sure that viewing, scanning and posting is very time consuming. But please, please show us your work. It is very inspirational and an education in what can be achieved, even to a gross amateur like me. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Barry Mabery

Jonas Andersson
01-30-2014, 2:32 AM
Very nice flow in that plane! Bet he was very pleased with your gift.

David Peterson
01-30-2014, 7:40 PM
Beautiful work! I would love to see some other views if they can be unearthed from your files. The form and detailing are classic; the finish, museum quality. The pictures of your projects are more than appreciated here, George - they're more like devoured by me and everyone else. Likewise, any time you contribute comments in a thread I always tend to give them more attention than others. Your expertise is what makes SMC such an incredible resource and the standards you demonstrate raise the bar for us all. Spoken or unspoken, you have a huge number of people here paying close attention and who have come to rely on you to show us the way.

george wilson
01-30-2014, 10:28 PM
That is good to know,David. I appreciate all of you guy's kind remarks.

I am sure I have no other pictures of the plane. Too bad. The top of the plane had some carving on it.

Don Kingston
01-31-2014, 5:18 AM
Mr Wilson
I agree with all these people as to the value of your posts and comments. There are several people within the creek that are the top of the field, and of course you and your work are one of them.Hopefully with new technology it is easier to post. Not that I have figured out how yet. I to would like to see the book or the movie of all you have done.
Don

Dave Beauchesne
01-31-2014, 8:40 AM
George:

As others have said - PLEASE continue to post pictures of your work ! I know it can be a pain, but I (and not just I ) thoroughly appreciate both your work and comments. Inspiring and insightful to say the least. You are truly a Master..

Matt Lau
02-01-2014, 2:59 PM
George,

Please write a book!
I'm sure that the others agree with me that your work is amazing.

Brian Holcombe
02-01-2014, 3:14 PM
The plane is gorgeous George!

Rick Markham
02-01-2014, 8:54 PM
Keep them coming George, your work always inspires me. It also makes me think that anything is truly possible with the right disciplines, smarts, dedication, hard work, sweat, blood and tears. Your work is far too important too not share with the whole world, even if it is just a single photograph. Thank you, as always, for what you do... and how you do it!