PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander build. Where to get parts?

David Hostetler
12-28-2011, 3:53 PM
I am wanting to build a wide drum sander, and figured I would touch base with you fine folks for suggestions on where to source the right parts to get this build done...

I presently have a Harbor Freight 1HP 3650 rpm motor that I would like to use (Coming from my band saw, I am swapping a 3650 rpm 1.5 HP Dayton motor in to the band saw). I want to use a 4, to 6" drum, and am curious what size pulleys I should use to get the surface speed of the sanding media right for the proper diameter using those motors. Also where can I get good smooth rod, and pillow block bushings for this project?

Has anyone built a cantilevered sander? How do you keep the faces parallel?

I would love to be able to buy one, but they tend to be a bit expensive... and it seems like a fairly simple machine to build... So I figured why not?

Kent Chasson
12-28-2011, 3:57 PM
There may be archived info here but I would also check some of the luthiery forums. I know there are plenty of threads if you search the Musical Instrument Makers Forum and the Official Luthier's Forum.

Jerome Hanby
12-28-2011, 6:05 PM
I've been in the planning/research stage on a project like this for quite a while. I think a cantilevered design would make it tough to keep everything parallel. I think that's even a problem on the commercial models.

The only innovative bit I've been considering for my build is the possibility of easily interchanged drums. Seems like it would be about as easy to make two or three drums as it would be to make one and it would be nice to be able to change grits back and forth with a minimum of effort.

I keep bouncing back and forth between building a stand alone drum sander and building one that will mount on and be powered by my Shopsmith. The Smith would give a pretty wide range of speed options and not take up additional space in the shop. My main turn off for that notion was the Shopsmith was also my drill press. I've just got a new drill press, so that's no longer a worry.

Russ D Wood
12-28-2011, 11:32 PM
I have the 30 inch version that I ordered as a kit and built the box. I love it

http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders.html?cat=40