PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly table saws...

jeff . whitaker
12-28-2011, 2:09 PM
So what is the difference between their Grizzly saws and these Polar Bear saws?
One pearson I know says they are made in China and the Grizzlys are made in Taiwan..
So???
Thanks
Jeff

scott vroom
12-28-2011, 2:35 PM
Jeff, which model table saw are you looking at? Checking the Grizzly catalog I see only one model (G7015P) that is offered in the Polar Bear Series. In general, Polar Bear Series tools are, I believe, just cosmetically different from "std" models. Check with Grizzly.

Van Huskey
12-28-2011, 2:41 PM
For the machines that Grizzly makes in both the Polar and regular line the ONLY difference is the powercoat and sometimes a cosmetic difference in things like hand wheels. For tablesaws this is all moot since they only make one Polar Bear TS (G0715P) and it is not duplicated in the regular line. The G0715P is made in China. FYI the two Grizzly TS that are talked most about here are the G0690/1 and the G1023 variations, the 690s are built in China and 1023s are made in Taiwan, both are part of the "regular" line. The country of origin of every Grizzly machine is easy to find on their website.

jeff . whitaker
12-28-2011, 4:18 PM
Scott,
The polar/Grizzly thing was some thing that came up talking to a local contractor about his Grizzly saw BTW he did not have good things to say about his Grizzly an older model 1023 ...
My main saw these days is a Walker Turner from the late 40's early 50's ... it is a great little saw but it has NO safety features (not even a blade guard or splitter) and It will not take dado blades. I had a Dayton from the 80's sold by Granger BUT the plastic push/pull mag switch went out and a bearing started squeeling so with NO help from Granger and and a few calls to Dayton that yielded nothing but frustration, I sold it to a friend who was willing to replace the Mag switch with a "light switch" something I won't do..
So I am in the early stages of looking around... so far the one I like is the G1023RLWX 10" 5 HP model..
It is in the $1500. range that I had pick as my limit, and I like the built in router table.. the W.T. has a crude version of that and I have found with in it's limitations that it's usefull (my shop is too crowded for a seperate router table) but as I said I have just looking right now

Van Huskey
12-28-2011, 4:33 PM
Make note that Grizzly's quality has gotten better over the years, in many cases significantly better. By most accounts the current 1023 is a fine saw, certainly a step below SS, PM and Delta but at half the price.

You may want to take a hard look at the router table extension, it is pretty limited in its usefulness as well. I would much rather build a router extension that can take a insert plate or router lift. I would get the 1023RLX (I have never needed over 3hp, but if you do a lot of 12/4 ripping in very hard woods maybe you would) and rout out a section of the extension table for a plate or lift.

Dave Aronson
12-28-2011, 6:16 PM
I just got the G0715 Polar Bear saw and so far I am very happy with it. build quality appears to be right on. Just a few adjustments to get it dialed in.